The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM1: 15th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yumnaarrhhh
Lol! I sat there for 10 mins coz I thought it was asking for the purpose of the reagent and not Y..I was soo close to writing something stupid about hydrogen..then I read it was about Y and I still wrote down polymers -.-

why is it not polymers sorry?
I am a dick
Reply 582
Original post by Millyshyn
What did everyone get for the calculations in question 5? I saved the answers in my calculator.. Got 2.81g for the first one, 2.21mol/dm^3 for the next one, 8.98% for the atom economy and B2Cl4 for the molecular formula one.
Thought it was an ok paper but I panicked in the same way I did in January because I was running out of time..

I got the same as you with 2.21 and 8.98 but what the hell, I ended up with 14.1g for that first one :s-smilie: massive mistake clearly
Reply 583
Original post by AishaTara

Alkenes are used to make polymers. Y was butane and therefore an alkane.
Reply 584
Original post by jodiedoodles
Oh dear :frown: I thought graphite was giant covalent (macromolecular) structure, and zinc and magnesium had a hexagonal close packed structure? :frown:

It is a giant macromolecular structure which just means that there is a huge network of covelantly bonded c atoms, its is arranged layers of hexagonal sheets.

type mg giant metallic lattice into google images, this will show you each mg ion has a 2+ charge whilst there a delocalised electrons between them. The electrostatic forces between them pulls them together.

Because alkenes are used to make polymers and alkanes are fuels e.g. petrol :frown:

Because it asked about Y

The use of X (butene) is polymers
But Y is an alkane so used as fuel
Reply 587
Original post by Philippamalko
for the 14.06g one did you not divide the number of moles found with pv=nrt by 5 as it was the moles for all the gases produced (5 molecules) and use that to find out the mass? i got around 14g the first time then read the question again and got around 2g or something

I got 14.1g on the gas equation one I assume you're talking about? Looks like we got the same thing but different rounding up, I hope this is right. A few people got different :s-smilie:
Original post by Zytex
Alkenes are used to make polymers. Y was butane and therefore an alkane.

so what was the answer? also what about the functional group question?
What was the process for removing that pollutant? (Sorry, can't remember the exact question!)
Original post by Jack_Smith
Please tell me this is right! Pleasee!!!!!!!!!!

I got the same, so hopefully it's right!
Reply 591
Original post by EllHv1
I did the same. It did say 500cm^3 of solution - so i think we're right? :smile:

I did the same as both of you too, 2.95moldm
Original post by pjanoo
I got 14.1g on the gas equation one I assume you're talking about? Looks like we got the same thing but different rounding up, I hope this is right. A few people got different :s-smilie:

i think you forgot to divide moles by 5 to get just 1 mole instead of total. I got 14.1 first too
Original post by Pinkhead
I multiplied one by 2.5 and the other by 1 and divided it all by 3.5.
It doesn't matter what you multiply by though as long as you use the correct ratio.
You could multiply by 5 and 2 and divide by 7, or multiply by 10 and 4 and divide by 14.

That's exactly what I did, I panicked when I first saw it, but I did the rest of the paper, came back to it and just did that, such a simple question when you think about it.
(edited 11 years ago)
What was the process for removing that pollutant? (Sorry, can't remember the exact question!)

flue gas desulfursation?
Original post by Zytex
Sodium borate is Na3BO3. I believe boric acid is equivalent to hydrogen borate which is H3BO3. Na has a 1+ charge like hydrogen so substitute in Na to H3BO3 and you get Na3BO3.

I did the same. Google disagrees :frown:

Add CaO or CaCO3 to neutralise the sulphur dioxide (the pollutant gas) as it is acidic

Add CaO (I think!)
Reply 598
so what was the answer? also what about the functional group question?

The answer was that Y was used in fuels (camping fuels etc. though you didn't have to be specific).

For the functional group question you had to draw cyclobutane which looks like this (you could have also just drawn a square):

Reply 599
Original post by Philippamalko
Add CaO or CaCO3 to neutralise the sulphur dioxide (the pollutant gas) as it is acidic

I put down neautralisation would i get the mark

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending