The Student Room Group

Doing Work In Summer

I'm in my final GCSE year, and I'm going on to do 5 A-levels next september; Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics, and Biology. Is it worth me doing work for these this summer and getting some of the stuff learned before I actually start the AS's, or will it just be a waste of time?

I was planning on doing 4 hours a week of chemistry, and 2 hours a week of maths as I know my workload will be high, so is it a good idea?
Reply 1
I don't really know how you would learn the stuff before hand tbh. And if you did you would be bored in the first few lessons! I'm sure you'll have plenty of time for everything - in fact 2 hours a week of maths is probably underestimating it, you'll probably have quite a lot of work set.
Reply 2
I'm sure you'll have plenty of time when you start college! Besides, enjoy the holidays because once you start college with your subjects I doubt you'll have much time :smile:.

If you really want a bit of an understanding of the course though, perhaps just borrow some AS text books from the library and read through them? Don't try to memorise or learn anything, but it may pay to get a basic understanding of some of the topics, especially because the subjects you chose seem to be some of the hardest. Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by Tilly87
I don't really know how you would learn the stuff before hand tbh. And if you did you would be bored in the first few lessons! I'm sure you'll have plenty of time for everything - in fact 2 hours a week of maths is probably underestimating it, you'll probably have quite a lot of work set.

Undestimating it? By him doing two hours per week on Maths he could learn the whole of AS maths in summer (if not most of it).

And what do you mean how he would learn the stuff before hand? Get a book, work through it - simple.
Reply 4
Original post by isp
Undestimating it? By him doing two hours per week on Maths he could learn the whole of AS maths in summer (if not most of it).

And what do you mean how he would learn the stuff before hand? Get a book, work through it - simple.

I meant once he started 6th form he'll probably get 2 hours plus homework a week. But in the holidays I really don't think you need to - other than a bit of background reading I don't know anyone who's actively studied before a levels. And hardly anyone buys a-level textbooks (not that I know of anyway) and you might not know yet which books school would give you or prefer you to have. Just wait til 6th form and study hard then, with the determination you have already I'm sure you'll do well.
Reply 5
Original post by Tilly87
I meant once he started 6th form he'll probably get 2 hours plus homework a week. But in the holidays I really don't think you need to - other than a bit of background reading I don't know anyone who's actively studied before a levels. And hardly anyone buys a-level textbooks (not that I know of anyway) and you might not know yet which books school would give you or prefer you to have. Just wait til 6th form and study hard then, with the determination you have already I'm sure you'll do well.

I've already got the AS Chemistry textbook.

Quick Reply

Latest