The Student Room Group

Home Economics GCSE - Help?!

Aloha!

I'm doing my Home Economics GCSE in May and I'm quite worried.

If you're doing this subject at GCSE you'll obviously have the textbook (aka the Bible) but for my lessons, my teacher just reads out of the book - yes, every single flippin' word! This is really annoying because it means that we aren't learning productively or creatively etc. and it just makes the lessons even more dull.

So, instead of making notes from the book (which I've done but have now got very bored) or reading the book again - which would be sooo boring and unproductive - does anyone have any suggestions that might help?!

Also the Specification on the OCR website, is very vague and unhelpful too.

Reply 1
Original post by hmeig
Aloha!

I'm doing my Home Economics GCSE in May and I'm quite worried.

If you're doing this subject at GCSE you'll obviously have the textbook (aka the Bible) but for my lessons, my teacher just reads out of the book - yes, every single flippin' word! This is really annoying because it means that we aren't learning productively or creatively etc. and it just makes the lessons even more dull.

So, instead of making notes from the book (which I've done but have now got very bored) or reading the book again - which would be sooo boring and unproductive - does anyone have any suggestions that might help?!

Also the Specification on the OCR website, is very vague and unhelpful too.

I have had the same problem, but my teacher hasnt even gone over it with us, she just gave us the text book and loads of past questions and got us to do those in silence in class, and she wounders why so many of us are under acheaving
Reply 2
I'm doing Food and Nutrition.

I agree cacatron, my teacher is similair in her 'teaching methods'. But I got a decent mark in my mock so I'm hoping it stays the same or goes up! (PLEASE God!)

I guess it's just a case of staring at the book for ages hoping it sinks in somehow, but swallowing the text book is soo boring and (literally/metaphorically) quite hard! I'm doing a Past Paper now, and I have done some exercises from the book but it doesn't feel productive, just like I'm copying out of the book.

It's tomorrow.. AHHHH! I've just seen this but thanks for the advice. :smile: I'm doing some last minute cramming, also there's seems to be a lack of websites with revision help too.

Good luck to you too! :confused:
Reply 3
How were your exams? I found it was quite alright..except for the 15 mark question. Bleh. That was so random...
:smile:
Reply 4
Heeeey:smile: Yeah did the exam, i thought it was okay! The essay was not good for me, i completely forgot to revise the religion section, and my teacher never reminded us or thought that we would be tested on it! I had to do it all from self knowledge, so not much! i reckon i might have got 7-8/15.... but the rest of the paper was pretty easy!! :smile: :3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending