The Student Room Group

RS revision

I have my first GCSE RS exam coming up, but I have no clue how to revise for it. At the moment it's all a big jumbled heap. Plus, I still haven't completely ace'd my E question. :s-smilie:

How are you all revising for RS?
I remember when I revised for this exam that I just memoried all the relevant quotes and remembered all the different religious views on certain topics. I answered a few past paper questions and looked at the mark scheme which I found useful. You can get these from the exam board website. I can't help you with thr question because I didn't have a question E at the time sorry.
Reply 2
I am planning to just read through all the religious arguments about the chosen topics and try and remember some of the quotes. The best way is too do past papers and focus on the questions which you find hard like the longer answers. That is exactly what i plan to do.
Reply 3
thanks for the feedback :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ErinHannah
thanks for the feedback :smile:

I loved E questions! The good thing about them is that they are pretty formulaic which makes them easier to crack. I've tried to lay out the basic structure below in case it is any help, though it probably won't be. Let me know if you have any questions.

This quote is saying...(basically just a sentence that reiterates it to flag up to the examiner you get what you're on about. If you're pushed for time you can skip this. It is aggravatingly tautological - but it does really help get good marks for minimal effort). This is important to Christians (or whatever religion you study) because...

Some Christians would agree with this quote because...

Some Christians would disagree because...

For the above, which will comprise most of your essay, it helps to remember to PEE ie summarise what they think; give a biblical quote or quote from Church leader; explore the view. Sometimes examples are really good here (i.e case studies of different types of religious experiences/ euthanasia cases etc). Remember that while your essay needs to have the basic agree/disagree structure, there are many occasions where it is more complicated. You might need to present multiple arguments that agree and disagree, or a stance in between (this is particularly the case on things like War)

In my opinion...

What topics are you revising for? I might have some essays and revision notes that could possibly be of use.
Reply 5
I don't know if you are doing the same exam as me, but i'm a little stuck on it too, is anyone doing short course AQA unit one rs this may? :/
Reply 6
Original post by Kalliope
I loved E questions! The good thing about them is that they are pretty formulaic which makes them easier to crack. I've tried to lay out the basic structure below in case it is any help, though it probably won't be. Let me know if you have any questions.

This quote is saying...(basically just a sentence that reiterates it to flag up to the examiner you get what you're on about. If you're pushed for time you can skip this. It is aggravatingly tautological - but it does really help get good marks for minimal effort). This is important to Christians (or whatever religion you study) because...

Some Christians would agree with this quote because...

Some Christians would disagree because...

For the above, which will comprise most of your essay, it helps to remember to PEE ie summarise what they think; give a biblical quote or quote from Church leader; explore the view. Sometimes examples are really good here (i.e case studies of different types of religious experiences/ euthanasia cases etc). Remember that while your essay needs to have the basic agree/disagree structure, there are many occasions where it is more complicated. You might need to present multiple arguments that agree and disagree, or a stance in between (this is particularly the case on things like War)

In my opinion...

What topics are you revising for? I might have some essays and revision notes that could possibly be of use.

Thanks! I'll give that format a try - I'm doing: Christian Ethics OCR - that includes religion and human relationships, medical ethics, equality, religion and the media :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by ErinHannah
Thanks! I'll give that format a try - I'm doing: Christian Ethics OCR - that includes religion and human relationships, medical ethics, equality, religion and the media :biggrin:

That's what I did :smile: (Though we did War, Peace & Justice instead of Media)
Are you doing the WJEC B spec??? If so here is a writing frame for you! :smile:

a) Give a definition AND an example

b) Give at least 2 different religious views (one must be from christianity) using at least 2 different generic ideas (eg, sacred texts, religious founders, etc)

c) Both can agree or both can disagree or one point from each. Ensure the two religions are different and the generic ideas you use are different aswell.

d) Ensure you show variety within religions. Use the number of religions the question asks you to (either one or two) but ensure at least one is christianity. Use at least 2 generic ideas. Aim to make at least 6 points overall as it is a six mark question!

e) I studied Islam so have put this in but swap in whatever....

Christian for
Christian against
Islam for
Islam against
Moral view
Social or Atheist view
If everyone agreed/disagreed then....
Personally I believe that.... because.....

This will get you 8 marks as long as the content is correct and shows variety!

The generic ideas work for any religion, they are:
- belief in the role of conscience
- examples of famous people from that religion
- Belief in the power of prayer
- Belief in importance of key teachings from sacred texts
- Belief in events from sacred texts
- Belief in an afterlife
- Belief in free will
- Belief in miracles
- Belief in the sanctity of life god created
- Belief in the teachings/example of the founder of the religion
- Belief in the authority of the place of worship

My only other advice is read a revision guide!!!
Really hope this helps, Puddleduck xxxxxxx
Original post by puddleduck :)
Are you doing the WJEC B spec??? If so here is a writing frame for you! :smile:

a) Give a definition AND an example

b) Give at least 2 different religious views (one must be from christianity) using at least 2 different generic ideas (eg, sacred texts, religious founders, etc)

c) Both can agree or both can disagree or one point from each. Ensure the two religions are different and the generic ideas you use are different aswell.

d) Ensure you show variety within religions. Use the number of religions the question asks you to (either one or two) but ensure at least one is christianity. Use at least 2 generic ideas. Aim to make at least 6 points overall as it is a six mark question!

e) I studied Islam so have put this in but swap in whatever....

Christian for
Christian against
Islam for
Islam against
Moral view
Social or Atheist view
If everyone agreed/disagreed then....
Personally I believe that.... because.....

This will get you 8 marks as long as the content is correct and shows variety!

The generic ideas work for any religion, they are:
- belief in the role of conscience
- examples of famous people from that religion
- Belief in the power of prayer
- Belief in importance of key teachings from sacred texts
- Belief in events from sacred texts
- Belief in an afterlife
- Belief in free will
- Belief in miracles
- Belief in the sanctity of life god created
- Belief in the teachings/example of the founder of the religion
- Belief in the authority of the place of worship

My only other advice is read a revision guide!!!
Really hope this helps, Puddleduck xxxxxxx

didn't you get this from somebody's post on www.getrevising.co.uk? I remember reading the EXACT same thing there.
ummm ahaha well that was my post on getrevising!! Thought as I wrote it I may as well help others at the same time!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending