The Student Room Group

Highers: Am I the only one not frantically studying 6 odd hours a day now?

I was just wondering if I should start to feel stressed or anything, I've already had my Music exam and I still don't feel like it's the proper exams. English is on Thursday but I feel prepared, I know quotes, texts and I've studied close reading.
See i did a lot (I mean A LOT) of revision over easter and from February, eg. I went from failing physics to now consistently getting As in 2nd prelim, NABS (100%) and tests, and other things are working well, MAths I'm improving and History...well that's just history, I know all the topics etc.
So I was wondering, that because I've kinda...slowed down with my studying as such if I should be a bit worried or something, but bearing in mind I did my intensive studying over the past 3-4 months, and when I go over everything, I just look at the page and I know it all very well. My mum said to me (regarding English) that I was ready for the exam, and I'm believing her!
Also, does anyone else feel the same?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've kind of slowed down my revision now too, despite only having done one exam yesterday (Chemistry) and my next four being within the next two weeks. I did six hours a day every day during Easter so I've run out of steam by now to be honest. Well, right now I just don't have the motivation to because I hate English and close reading is horrific to practice. After English I will be frantically cramming for Maths and then I have a week until my next exam so..
I keep getting stressed and worried because everyone else is saying they're doing so much more than me and it makes me think I'm not doing enough, even though I know I'll be ready for my exams!
Sounds like you've done epic preparation, good luck.
Reply 3
Original post by rawragee
I've kind of slowed down my revision now too, despite only having done one exam yesterday (Chemistry) and my next four being within the next two weeks. I did six hours a day every day during Easter so I've run out of steam by now to be honest. Well, right now I just don't have the motivation to because I hate English and close reading is horrific to practice. After English I will be frantically cramming for Maths and then I have a week until my next exam so..
I keep getting stressed and worried because everyone else is saying they're doing so much more than me and it makes me think I'm not doing enough, even though I know I'll be ready for my exams!

I'm exactly the same, I did all my preparation a month or so ago, and I've been ready for my exams for ages, I'd much rather just do them all tomorrow! :L But I don't mind English, I studied essays to the point of enjoying them last year so I'm ok with them, and I've learned how to do close readings.
Maths is a different story, I should be finding it ok, but we had a horrible teacher up until 2-3 months ago (he got sick so we got the head of the dept) so now I'm just hoping for a B in it.
I think the feeling you're talking about is the feeling you get when you're ready, I've been told that before, and I had it last year too, it'll definitely do well! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ArionXenos01
I'm exactly the same, I did all my preparation a month or so ago, and I've been ready for my exams for ages, I'd much rather just do them all tomorrow! :L But I don't mind English, I studied essays to the point of enjoying them last year so I'm ok with them, and I've learned how to do close readings.
Maths is a different story, I should be finding it ok, but we had a horrible teacher up until 2-3 months ago (he got sick so we got the head of the dept) so now I'm just hoping for a B in it.
I think the feeling you're talking about is the feeling you get when you're ready, I've been told that before, and I had it last year too, it'll definitely do well! :smile:

mhmm, I memorised the entire physics and chemistry courses over Easter so I found that when I want on study leave I only needed to read over my notes for 10-15 minutes then do a past paper or some practice questions and I remember it all (or most of it aha). With English, I know most of my texts inside and out because I enjoyed studying them so I don't have to do much apart from close reading practice. With Maths, I need to do a lot of past papers so I get used to recognising what to do with each question and try not to panic! I always panic and do awfully :colondollar:
I'm really lucky with one of my Highers (French) because I find it naturally easy to understand so I only really have to do one-two afternoons of revision :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ArionXenos01
I was just wondering if I should start to feel stressed or anything, I've already had my Music exam and I still don't feel like it's the proper exams. English is on Thursday but I feel prepared, I know quotes, texts and I've studied close reading.
See i did a lot (I mean A LOT) of revision over easter and from February, eg. I went from failing physics to now consistently getting As in 2nd prelim, NABS (100%) and tests, and other things are working well, MAths I'm improving and History...well that's just history, I know all the topics etc.
So I was wondering, that because I've kinda...slowed down with my studying as such if I should be a bit worried or something, but bearing in mind I did my intensive studying over the past 3-4 months, and when I go over everything, I just look at the page and I know it all very well. My mum said to me (regarding English) that I was ready for the exam, and I'm believing her!
Also, does anyone else feel the same?

I'm in the same boat! I've been consistently revising all year and I'm in the position where I can achieve what I want with just a little more revision that I have time for.

English - well, this is my worst. I CAN get an A, MAYBE if I'm very lucky and can just scrape past the threshold.
Maths - I'm fine. I've never got a B in maths and got 98% in the second prelim.
History - I couldn't sit it right now: I understand the course but I just need to freshen up on it before the exam.
Physics- Again, I'm pretty fine. I've never really got Bs in physics either and got 93% on the second prelim. All I need to do is freshen up on some of the radiation stuff so I can do definitions.
RMPS- Wellll... I haven't really revised it at all. I can do one unit and get basically full marks and just need to brush up on the other two: it isn't a difficult subject.

FINGERS CROSSED!
Reply 6
Same as me except i haven't done loads yet haha.

Not stressed at all, so hopefully i'm prepared.
Reply 7
my update: tried a maths paper, did horrifically. I'm now determined to do about six+ hours a day of pure maths until Monday :tongue: English is being pied, maths is more important to me.
Reply 8
Feeling more lazy than ever for my tomorrow's english exam! Getting stressed cause I have to study tho..:frown:
Reply 9
I've had one exam so far, have one thursday, two friday then one monday, and still havent started studying yet.. feel like i should be panicking but i just dont feel like its actually exam time yet!
Reply 10
Original post by SQA
Feeling more lazy than ever for my tomorrow's english exam! Getting stressed cause I have to study tho..:frown:

Aren't you doing higher? I saw you post in higher english. Higher english is thursday. Int 2 is tomorrow.
Reply 11
Original post by pepperss
Aren't you doing higher? I saw you post in higher english. Higher english is thursday. Int 2 is tomorrow.

Oh oops! lol yeah thursday*:colondollar:
Reply 12
Original post by SQA
Oh oops! lol yeah thursday*:colondollar:

Haha. Good luck for thursday! :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by pepperss
Haha. Good luck for thursday! :biggrin:

Thaanks mate you too! :biggrin:
Reply 14
Man, I miss school. 6 hours a day seeming frantic! Best of luck all:p:
Reply 15
If I'm honest I think that's the best way to be and you all sound very prepared. Last year I was in fifth year and I felt so stressed out by it all that I spent more time crying than I did actually studying. This year I've been able to work calmly and consistently throughout the year, and I feel a lot better about my exams this year, and haven't felt any great need to study like mad ATM.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I'm feeling similar myself,I've studied pretty hard all this year and I'm just refreshing things at the moment.However natural nerves are kicking in and I'm averaging 5 hours a day,sometimes more for my trickier subjects.
As long as you feel you know it then it's fine.

I studied religiously for philosophy because I didn't understand it. My studying for media has been a lot less thorough because I'm certain I know it (mostly because the second half of my prelim was only on May 1st so I did a ton of revision for that).
Reply 18
for higher rmps, is it one mark for source and then another mark for quoting it OR explaining what the souce says?
Reply 19
Original post by StudyAk
for higher rmps, is it one mark for source and then another mark for quoting it OR explaining what the souce says?

There is no source...

Quick Reply

Latest