The Student Room Group

medical schools and as year retakes ...

pretty sure ive flopped my as year, definitely going to have to retake the whole year at a different 6th form from scratch

i was hoping to at least try and apply for medicine, but some uni's say they dont accept a level resits, does this refer to as level or a2? i was told that it doesnt matter if you resit your as's, but it matters if you retake your a2 year, and say if when i started again my grades went up considerably would they also take that into account? thanks
Reply 1
Retaking your whole AS year will rule you out of applying to most medical schools. It counts as taking A levels over 3 years which most will not accept. For those who don't do well in AS and who are looking to apply to medicine, usually it's in their best interest to carry on the A levels and resit your AS modules along with your A2 modules then apply whilst on a gap year.
Reply 2
Original post by myyrh
Retaking your whole AS year will rule you out of applying to most medical schools. It counts as taking A levels over 3 years which most will not accept. For those who don't do well in AS and who are looking to apply to medicine, usually it's in their best interest to carry on the A levels and resit your AS modules along with your A2 modules then apply whilst on a gap year.

if my current 6th form requires a minimum of DDD to get back in and to carry those subjects over to A2, how do i go about retaking AS subjects alongside A2 subjects if im not allowed to carry them over? :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by hazard404
if my current 6th form requires a minimum of DDD to get back in and to carry those subjects over to A2, how do i go about retaking AS subjects alongside A2 subjects if im not allowed to carry them over? :s-smilie:

You aren't going to get DDD?
You resit the AS exam units in January. Most of your A2 units will be in June but you may have both AS and A2 exams in January. It's tough and hard work but it's doable and really the only feasible option if you want to do medicine.
Reply 4
Original post by myyrh
You aren't going to get DDD?
You resit the AS exam units in January. Most of your A2 units will be in June but you may have both AS and A2 exams in January. It's tough and hard work but it's doable and really the only feasible option if you want to do medicine.

probably not, and if i dont get those ill have to go elsewhere where ill probably have to retake the whole year. i know what youre saying but the problem is, say i dont get a d in maths and i need it next year, i wont be able to take it for a2 as my 6th form wont let me :/
Reply 5
pretty sure ive flopped my as year, definitely going to have to retake the whole year at a different 6th form from scratch

i was hoping to at least try and apply for medicine, but some uni's say they dont accept a level resits, does this refer to as level or a2? i was told that it doesnt matter if you resit your as's, but it matters if you retake your a2 year, and say if when i started again my grades went up considerably would they also take that into account? thanks

retake a year only if you really really need to and you are 100% willing to work 10000 times harder because wasting a year is going to be worthless if you dont and if you think you can cope with A2 and As retakes then choose that route. A2 is much harder than AS!!! some universities will consider you if you do 3 years if you give them a good explanation or if there was a certain situation or change in alevel subject etc, but then again you will not be in a good position in your application

there are people who get D's in jan modules and come out with A's in august. same with AS results and the change their A2 grades so it can be done if your motivated

medicine is a difficult career and thinking about getting D'sss it is likely that you will, think positive, work hard try harder, Alevels is the most important thing that will get you into medicine including wrk exp ukcat etc.. but its the grades, there are 1000's of student with the right grades applying for medicine and only a few get in.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
probably not, and if i dont get those ill have to go elsewhere where ill probably have to retake the whole year. i know what youre saying but the problem is, say i dont get a d in maths and i need it next year, i wont be able to take it for a2 as my 6th form wont let me :/

Hmm that could be a serious problem. Well look your exams aren't all finished yet there is still time to try and put the work in. Surely you could manage DDD if you got your head down now before it's too late? If worse comes to worst, beg your 6th form to let you stay. You would be shooting yourself in the foot if you repeat your AS year so try your hardest to avoid it at all costs.
Reply 7
Hey, im sure that if you are thinking of doing medicine, you WON'T get below 3 D's!! I wNt to do medicine too, and am aiming for 5A's. So far, I have gotten A's in everything, but I did an S1(maths) past paper yesterday and got 11%[it was my first one] and the exam is NEXT WEEK. But still, I'm not going to give up, I WON'T ALLOW MYSELF to get 11%. There is still time, teach yourself EVERYTHING over the next few weeks. Ive literally spent every day in the library since April. Like ALL DAY. you can do it, and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest