The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2780
Original post by cloudofcalm
Been placed in Department of Local governance and communities -- exactly the kind of governance I'm not pro, especially as it's all devolved power from government. Don't quite understand why I've got my last listed preference when I passed the HoP mark... Also don't understand the logic when I'm an ex-International Relations student, have worked on EU migration, expressed a preference to work in border control, etc.

Any advice? This isn't the kind of department I expected at all.

You can reject, but then I believe their second offer will be a take it or leave it option.
Reply 2781
Yup, that's pretty much right. If you go to your scheme progress page and click on the 'i' by Pre-Appointment Checks it's got quite a detailed section on what the process is if assignments dont meet expectations, etc. Gist is that *after* meeting with the grade manager at the dept you can then put your case to Parity that you're not compatible, and they'll try to shift you if they agree with you.
Reply 2782
Recent phone call from one of the scheme coordinators informed me that they expect there to be up to 10 withdrawals by Sept. This expectation is based on previous years' experience. So, looks like you may yet hear some good news. I hope so.
Reply 2783
Been placed in Department of Local governance and communities -- exactly the kind of governance I'm not pro, especially as it's all devolved power from government. Don't quite understand why I've got my last listed preference when I passed the HoP mark... Also don't understand the logic when I'm an ex-International Relations student, have worked on EU migration, expressed a preference to work in border control, etc.

What was your FSAC mark, if you don't mind me asking? I think that has some bearing on how much account is taken of your preferences.
Reply 2784
Original post by monthen
What was your FSAC mark, if you don't mind me asking? I think that has some bearing on how much account is taken of your preferences.

it's not so clearcut. Scoring a high mark, or having a masters may some times also count AGAINST you in getting what you want. They seek to keep a balance of 'ability' and backgrounds across departments, so even if Communities and Local Governments does not traditionally feature highly in preferences, they will still get some high scorers. Likewise, highly favoured departments like DfID will also get some people with lower scores assigned.

If you search the thread, there's a link to material explaining how assignments are made. Alternatively, look at the annex of the Welcome letter for new Fast Streamers. I'm sure there's something there about how assignments are made.
My FSAC score was 17.83 -- high enough to get through to final stages for HoP, if it had been my first choice. Hence my confusion, I thought scoring highly meant they would actually ....take account of my preferences.
Reply 2786
read the annex to the welcome letter. Many factors are considered. For instance, the department that you were assigned to may really need those who are exceptional in the competency measure that you performed best at, to meet a specific requirement. If you want a career in the Civil Service in the long term, remember that beyond the FS grade, you can apply for positions across the Civil Service, and specifically in the department that you are most interested in. You may also likely go on secondment at some stage, with another department. You can network and keep an eye out for specific opportunities in the department you most want. Furthermore, as they advise, you may find that you fit better and enjoy working in the department that you were assigned to, a lot more than you originally anticipated.

I hear its a really good department and that they are planning on making more secondment systems anyway so you won't be stuck in one department. You also have considerable power (if you are into that sort of thing), there was case where a fresh graduate had to go to a Local Authority and tell the management that they are not following government directives, pretty scary but exciting too.

I still don't know where I am placed yet! Have you finished all the backgrounds checks? My former employer is taking a long time!!!
Reply 2788
Original post by Evidza
Recent phone call from one of the scheme coordinators informed me that they expect there to be up to 10 withdrawals by Sept. This expectation is based on previous years' experience. So, looks like you may yet hear some good news. I hope so.

Thanks for this, still lingering about the thread whilst waiting for news :smile:
(Would give a positive rating but apparently I have to rate some other members first lol)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2789
Wow, don't think I've ever seen this thread so quiet. Anyone on reserve still lingering about?
I'm not on reserve, but my referee refused to do my reference(?) so I've had to find another referee now, who is on holiday. Plus medical is still apparently 'going through' but my GP hasn't heard a word yet :s-smilie:
Reply 2791
Original post by lovers in japan
I'm not on reserve, but my referee refused to do my reference(?) so I've had to find another referee now, who is on holiday. Plus medical is still apparently 'going through' but my GP hasn't heard a word yet :s-smilie:

Academic referee? If so, what was their reason? I'd be kicking off with the head of department!
Original post by TomDixie
Academic referee? If so, what was their reason? I'd be kicking off with the head of department!

It was only the referee to confirm that I was abroad for a large period of time for study - ie, my Head of Department! Fantastic times. So I'm getting my tutor to be my referee for everything now.
Reply 2793
Original post by lovers in japan
It was only the referee to confirm that I was abroad for a large period of time for study - ie, my Head of Department! Fantastic times. So I'm getting my tutor to be my referee for everything now.

And they've agreed hopefully? Head of department should see your success as reflecting well upon the Uni/department itself IMO and be very happy to help you out!

Academics eh :P
Reply 2794
Original post by Lee1
Hey,

I've been away for a few days and see that there have been many comments regarding pay and pass marks.

Congrats to all those that pass and sorry for those that didn't.

I had my meeting with the Fast Stream Grade Manager and can say boy this scheme is going to be very very exciting. I am already a civil servant and know the system and the structure through relationships with present fast streamers.

With regards to pay - this has all been harmonised and there is I believe to be two standard rates for salaries for those based in London and those outside.

Regional salary - £25,000
London (with weighting) - £27,000

The salaries are banded - at this rate you are banded a C2 and that salary goes up to £36,500 which allows for bonus's etc...

After two years most should be regraded to C1 which is the £36,500/£37,000 for regional and approximately £40,000 for London, so I wouldn't panic about scrounging through.

Every fast streamer also has to spend a placement outside their nominated region. I am with the MoD so if i were to be based in London I would have to spend 12 months in another station maybe Bristol, High Wycombe or Portsmouth. You will move around.

Once your through it doesn't matter what score you get - there is no pecking order. Everyone is afforded the same opportunities - regardless of which department you are in. Some less known departments may regrade their fast streamers early; it has been known.

The FSAC scores are used to place candidates in their chosen preferences based on a ranking system.

Good Luck!!

Bonuses? Anyone know anything about those?
Reply 2795
Hang on a sec. Does that mean you will stay at £27 until you are regraded? Within the band is there any movement? I.e moving from 27 to say 30 after a year, within the same brand.
Hi all - I'm another long time lurker of this thread who has finally bit the bullet and registered!

I've been offered places on both the GFS and TiB and opted for the GFS. However, I've since had an email and a phone conversation from someone relatively senior trying to persuade me to go for TiB instead. Has anybody else found this by any chance?

I was relatively happy with my choice of the GFS, though I did say I'd have a think about switching over to TiB, and she's asked a couple of TiB FSers to get in touch with me. I got a relatively low score at the FSAC so I imagine I'd be one of the last people placed and although I think I might find GFS more interesting, I suspect I might do better at TiB.

Just thought I'd see if anybody had a similar experience of this. I was certainly flattered that they're the ones now selling themselves to me rather than vice-versa! :wink:

Also a very belated thank you to TSR - I don't doubt that this thread played an important part in actually getting me through the application process.
Original post by TomDixie
And they've agreed hopefully? Head of department should see your success as reflecting well upon the Uni/department itself IMO and be very happy to help you out!

Academics eh :P

My tutor has agreed, but she's not even from my department! Ugh my uni is crap sometimes.
Original post by obamtl
Hang on a sec. Does that mean you will stay at £27 until you are regraded? Within the band is there any movement? I.e moving from 27 to say 30 after a year, within the same brand.

Read it again... it says that within that band, salaries go up to £36,500 and I'm sure I read somewhere about performance-based salary increases...
Reply 2799
So bored of waiting to be placed! Any other successful applicants from the University of Birmingham this year?

Quick Reply