The Student Room Group

Has anyone ever transferred into a different degree in second year? (like law..)

I'm first year doing sociology because I didn't get into law the first time i applied. Then i heard that i could transfer into second year..

So i applied to do that. But apparently it's going to be so hard and so intense i may just die lol

Has anyone every transferred from a degree to another? how difficult was it
Reply 1
why wont anyone reply :frown: i guess it is 2 in the morning..
I can't say it's something I've done myself, but plenty of people have. If it's something you really want to do, than does hard and intense even come into it?

You shouldn't let a little hard work put you off of achieving what you want. Half the fun is looking back and saying, "Damn, I earned this ****."

Sorry for the profanity, but like you said, it's after 2 in the morning :smile:.
Reply 3
Hello. I think it greatly depends on the department and the university you're at. Give them a ring to see if it'd be feasible. I would think it also depends on the marks you get this year.

Having said that, completing the Sociology degree with a good mark and doing a conversion course will give you as much of a chance of progressing in the Law profession, if that is indeed your preferred career.
Reply 4
Original post by WantCakeGetCake
I can't say it's something I've done myself, but plenty of people have. If it's something you really want to do, than does hard and intense even come into it?

You shouldn't let a little hard work put you off of achieving what you want. Half the fun is looking back and saying, "Damn, I earned this ****."

Sorry for the profanity, but like you said, it's after 2 in the morning :smile:.

I guess so. But I will need to ace these exams, which are in 2 weeks and im revising for now :frown:

Original post by Aquinas
Hello. I think it greatly depends on the department and the university you're at. Give them a ring to see if it'd be feasible. I would think it also depends on the marks you get this year.

Having said that, completing the Sociology degree with a good mark and doing a conversion course will give you as much of a chance of progressing in the Law profession, if that is indeed your preferred career.

Yeah i have to get a 2:1 to be able to transfer into law. Was just worried that they have done so much work this year i'd just be so lost?
Reply 5
Original post by helpnow_please

Yeah i have to get a 2:1 to be able to transfer into law. Was just worried that they have done so much work this year i'd just be so lost?

I would think you'd be fine. Sociology isn't miles away from Law anyway. Plus, you'll be able to read about basic law if you ask for a reading list for over the summer to catch up on it. I doubt it would be too much of an ask.

Personally, I'm considering doing a GDL for Law after my History and Politics degree as I think the degree is more interesting and Law employers seem to value those with mixed backgrounds. Also I can't imagine Law being the most enthralling of degrees personally.

If you're set on it though then by all means go out and get it.
Reply 6
Original post by Aquinas
I would think you'd be fine. Sociology isn't miles away from Law anyway. Plus, you'll be able to read about basic law if you ask for a reading list for over the summer to catch up on it. I doubt it would be too much of an ask.

Personally, I'm considering doing a GDL for Law after my History and Politics degree as I think the degree is more interesting and Law employers seem to value those with mixed backgrounds. Also I can't imagine Law being the most enthralling of degrees personally.

If you're set on it though then by all means go out and get it.

But what about the basics of law? every law student i ask tells me not to do it because its sooo hard :/ ahhh help
Reply 7
bump
Reply 8
Original post by helpnow_please
But what about the basics of law? every law student i ask tells me not to do it because its sooo hard :/ ahhh help

Not to do what? Switch to Law second year? The GDL in combination with a good degree from a good university is as respected as a Law degree, even at the top law firms.

You probably learn most of the basics of Law in the first and second years anyway. I think the GDL is more geared towards practical law and its application.
Reply 9
Aha, I'm changing from first year Law to Sociology! It has been easy enough to change but I am going into first year again.

I'm sure it'll be ok. Will it be a qualifying law degree though? In my first year we did contract, tort, criminal and public and you need all of these subjects. You should ask someone in the department/uni if it will be and what the structure will be.

The other people may just be more used to writing essays and reading cases quickly/finding the relevant information. I've finished first year and still feel like I know nothing though so not necessarily!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending