The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

J.Cole apparently in the England squad. What a waste it was to send him on loan. I'm sure that if he played the amount of games Downing did he would have had a hand in 10 goals.
Original post by Mr.Messy
J.Cole apparently in the England squad. What a waste it was to send him on loan. I'm sure that if he played the amount of games Downing did he would have had a hand in 10 goals.

Tbh he seemed very ill suited to the club.
Original post by Zerforax
Tbh he seemed very ill suited to the club.

I can guarantee that he would have got more assists/goals than Downing in the PL this season. :tongue:
I can guarantee that he would have got more assists/goals than Downing in the PL this season. :tongue:

The Anfield cat would get more Goal/Assists.

Maybe but you'd get everything else with it too, the poor passing, the lack of tracking back, losing the ball in damaging positions, the greed on the ball etc
Reply 9125
Carroll in the England squad apparently. Surprised by that.
Reply 9126

Not really. We needed to reduce the wage bill massively, and Joe Cole does not have the fitness required to succeed in England anymore.

Even Lille don't want to keep him because of his outrageous wages
Original post by L18
Not really. We needed to reduce the wage bill massively, and Joe Cole does not have the fitness required to succeed in England anymore.

Even Lille don't want to keep him because of his outrageous wages

He didn't have the fitness when we loaned him out, but now hes been playing a year I wouldn't mind him back in our squad. He is class, and has gotta do better than Charlie Adam, or Hendo.
Reply 9128
Original post by jfinney94
He didn't have the fitness when we loaned him out, but now hes been playing a year I wouldn't mind him back in our squad. He is class, and has gotta do better than Charlie Adam, or Hendo.

What? He played for a year here as well. He looks fitter because the french league is slower.

He is definetly not class, which is why Chelsea let him go. And he'll be on 3 times the wages of Adam or Henderson.
Original post by Deshi
Carroll in the England squad apparently. Surprised by that.

I'm not, I said he'd get called up immediately after his FA cup final performance...

With Bent out and Welbeck and Sturridge questionable, who else is there really?
Reply 9130
Original post by L18
What? He played for a year here as well. He looks fitter because the french league is slower.

He is definetly not class, which is why Chelsea let him go. And he'll be on 3 times the wages of Adam or Henderson.

What? So on your basis, players like Eden Hazard can't cut it in the Premier LEague because hes made to look class there? As is Benzema cos' hes quite clearly flopping at Real Madrid and made to look very average there too. :rolleyes:

Joe Cole looked off the boil at Liverpool, but has pretty much been playing out of his skin since hes gone there. I would love it if he returned to the England squad this summer, as hes miles better than that clown you own in Downing. But I suppose hes better than Cole though, just cos the premier league is faster.
Bet a low percentage on this thread haven't even been to Anfield. Makes me laugh!
Reply 9132
Original post by DannyBoy123
I'm not, I said he'd get called up immediately after his FA cup final performance...

Defoe and Crouch. On top of that the likes of Danny Graham and Grant Holt have been a lot better than Carroll this season.
Original post by DannyBoy123

He played well but missed two absolute sitters, and has been useless all season!

Crouch/Carroll, Rooney, Bent/Defoe, Welbeck, Sturridge (or a surprise such as Holt/Zamora/Graham).

I'd certainly take Crouch over Carroll, been unlucky not to get more games at international level with his record. Carroll really doesn't deserve a call up imo.
Reply 9134
Original post by Kaz310
What? So on your basis, players like Eden Hazard can't cut it in the Premier LEague because hes made to look class there? As is Benzema cos' hes quite clearly flopping at Real Madrid and made to look very average there too. :rolleyes:

Where did I say that, you melodramatic queen.

I said the french league is of a slower pace than the english league, and as a result Joe Coles fitness is not as big an issue.

Nothing about the quality of the players there.
Original post by Kaz310
But I suppose hes better than Cole though, just cos the premier league is faster.

Bravo. Thats exactly what I said
Reply 9135
Original post by L18
Where did I say that, you melodramatic queen.

I said the french league is of a slower pace than the english league, and as a result Joe Coles fitness is not as big an issue.

Nothing about the quality of the players there.

Bravo. Thats exactly what I said

Yeah I get way too dramatic. It has seriously got to stop. Starting now.

I just don't understand how you can say hes not class? His fitness levels have improved as he was probably playing with less pressure to play at his best in France away from all the English media crap. But at this rate, I'm sure you'd rather have him at Liverpool than Downing. 0 assists and goals in the premier league on your debut season at Liverpool, when he's meant to be at the peak of his career, isn't exactly aspiring standards is it?
Reply 9136
Can't believe we still have Stephen Darby on our books.
Reply 9137
Original post by little_wizard123
He played well but missed two absolute sitters, and has been useless all season!

Crouch/Carroll, Rooney, Bent/Defoe, Welbeck, Sturridge (or a surprise such as Holt/Zamora/Graham).

I'd certainly take Crouch over Carroll, been unlucky not to get more games at international level with his record. Carroll really doesn't deserve a call up imo.

Clearly Defoe should be well ahead of Bent? Thats not even an argument. For all sorts of reasons, especially this season.

I wouldn't take Zamora. Maybe if the tournament had come all those years earlier when he carried Fulham to the final of the Europa. He was in the form of his life. But he's been injured way too long this year and not enough goals.

Iwouldn't take neither Crouch or Carrol. Would instead pick Holt as well as John Ruddy for goal keeping cover. But Roy Hodgson will probably have his favourites already.
Reply 9138
Original post by Kaz310

I just don't understand how you can say hes not class?

I'm basing it on what I saw in a red shirt. He takes too many touches on the ball.
Original post by Kaz310

But at this rate, I'm sure you'd rather have him at Liverpool than Downing. 0 assists and goals in the premier league on your debut season at Liverpool, when he's meant to be at his peak of his career, isn't exactly aspiring standards is it?

It's awful yes.

Would I rather have him over Downing? No. Because they do completely different jobs. Cole is a hole player.

Also, on the assists thing. Downing has been truely awful, and is a coward of a player. But the assists stat is an unfair stick to beat him with. Assists are 70% reliant on a player putting the ball in the net for them. Against Swansea, Downing puts a marvelous ball on a plate for Andy Carroll who proceeds to hit the bar from 3 yards out. Now is that stuarts fault, or Andys?

Much better to use your eyes and tell them a players contribution to the game
Reply 9139
Original post by Deshi
Defoe and Crouch. On top of that the likes of Danny Graham and Grant Holt have been a lot better than Carroll this season.

Yes! Danny Graham! Some of his finishing this season have been world class. Actually, alot of goals from Norwich and Swansea have been world class. Loved watching them this season.

Latest