The Student Room Group

Do you count processed meat as same protein content as real meat......?

For example, if you eat processed food like chicken bites below and things like Rustler burgers. Do you count the protein content as the same in normal meat. The example in the link shows like 14g of protein per pack, does that count? cheers

http://www.mattessons.co.uk/?page_id=212

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, but i'm sure you know why real meat is better
Reply 2
anyone serious about their diet wouldnt touch such things anyways the real thing tastes much better, gimme a steak over a burger any day
Reply 3
Original post by stayce88
anyone serious about their diet wouldnt touch such things anyways the real thing tastes much better, gimme a steak over a burger any day

yeh thats great but how the hell do you cook a steak in the middle of an office, not realistic really is? Im looking for practical high protein food
Reply 4
Original post by newts2k
yeh thats great but how the hell do you cook a steak in the middle of an office, not realistic really is? Im looking for practical high protein food

Even so there are many better alternatives than a processed microwave burger!
chicken and steak slices from the chiller, protein bars + shakes, cook something the night before and take it in a tupperware box, tins of tuna and sardines...
Reply 5
Original post by newts2k
For example, if you eat processed food like chicken bites below and things like Rustler burgers. Do you count the protein content as the same in normal meat. The example in the link shows like 14g of protein per pack, does that count? cheers

If you're one of those people that likes to eat very "clean" fats, also be aware that those contain either palm oil or soybean oil.

Not a problem for some people, just thought I'd flag it up just in case.
Reply 6
Even so there are many better alternatives than a processed microwave burger!
chicken and steak slices from the chiller, protein bars + shakes, cook something the night before and take it in a tupperware box, tins of tuna and sardines...

I was kind og using the microwavable Rustlers burger as an example. I guess Im more interested in the chicken bites. I don't cook a lot so not sure what I could put in a tupperware box with tuna etc. in which is nice. Any suggestions? cheers
Reply 7
Original post by newts2k
I was kind og using the microwavable Rustlers burger as an example. I guess Im more interested in the chicken bites. I don't cook a lot so not sure what I could put in a tupperware box with tuna etc. in which is nice. Any suggestions? cheers

tuna / chicken pasta salad with extra light mayo or hot sauce? sainsburys do sliced roast chicken and roast chicken legs in the chillers that make a good snack or as a sandwich in a wholemeal pitta bread with some salsa, cottage cheese and quark are high in protein, dip some carrot or celary sticks in as a snack or put some on ryvita, hardboil some eggs the night before and take them in a tupperware box sliced up with some salad, sachets of oats/ porridge that can be made by just adding hot water, mix some protein powder in the with dry oats first to boost protein content...
Original post by newts2k

Wholegrain pasta + dash of olive oil + a tin of drained tuna + a handful of lettuce + tomotoes + chopped cucumber = result. Seriously, you can not go wrong on this. Add seasoning if you will but this is easy to make. I used to regularly make this in the morning before I headed out to work; it is EASY.
Original post by newts2k

Yes protein is protein regardless of where you get it from.
Reply 10
Original post by newts2k

Plan ahead and bring a packed lunch.
Original post by newts2k

Nuts will do the trick. They are very practical, high in protien and high in fibre.
Original post by newts2k

You could try taking protein muffins with you? I love them!
Reply 13
Original post by intermediary
You could try taking protein muffins with you? I love them!

never heard of them. Where do you get them from ?
Original post by newts2k
never heard of them. Where do you get them from ?

You bake them yourself using protein powder. Recipes galore on this thar intarwebs if you google them.
You make them yourself.
Here's the basic recipe which you can add to (cinnamon, cocoa etc):
One scoop of protein powder (preferably flavoured but not necessary)
One full egg and one egg white
Two teaspoons of sweetener
0.5 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup of water
Teaspoon of butter (optional- makes it less dry as can be quite dry without it).

Mix the liquids separately and the dry mixture separately then add them together and stir well. Put it in a bowl and you can either microwave for 1-2 minutes or you can bake it at 175 for about 10 minutes. I normally microwave it.

If you want to make it chocolate, you add two tablespoons of cocoa. It turns out like this:
440chocmuffin.jpg

Here's the recipe for a banana protein muffin:

1 large banana
3/4 cup of egg whites (egg size varies so put it in a cup and stop when it's 3/4 full)
1/2 cup of plain low fat Greek yoghurt
3/4 cup of oats
Two scoops of protein powder (preferably flavoured, again)
1/2 cup of sweetner
Teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
Butter/olive oil- optional (if you don't use butter or olive oil, use non stick baking paper as the oats can stick to whatever they're being cooked in)

Bake in the oven for around 15mins (the recipe above makes 12 servings) or microwave for around 3 mins or until you can put a knife in it and it comes out clean.
Each banana muffin has 58 cals, 7g protein and 1g sugar. So 84g protein and 696 calories in the whole mix.

Peanut butter protein muffins:

1/3 cup self raising flour or 1/3 cup flaxseed meal (pure fibre found in Sainsburys cooking aisle)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup skim milk
1 egg
3 tablespoons chunky peanut butter (Sainsburys basics peanut butter is 62p and has the lowest carb and sugar of all the ones they had available)
1 teaspoon butter
6 tablespoons protein powder

That makes 6 servings and has 125 cals with 7.1g protein per serving.

5372748603_302490120d.jpg

As long as you keep the protein powder, eggs and baking powder in the recipe, you can modify it as much as you like.
For example, you can also make 'bread' with the protein powder and flaxseed. Also you can have the muffins savoury and toasted with breakfast- use unflavoured protein powder and put mixed herb etc (whatever you like), microwave for a minute or two, take out, slice and toast. Oh and pancakes too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16

all well and good when u can afford it. and cheap cuts of meat taste alot worse than burgers.

mine is a bulking diet, im serious about it and eat (home made) burgers all the time.
Reply 17
I dont believe people that say they cant afford to eat healthily, there is no excuse for eating processed microwave food that costs more than buying meat, fruit + veg in bulk. I managed it when I was on the dole, people are just lazy.
I dont believe people that say they cant afford to eat healthily, there is no excuse for eating processed microwave food that costs more than buying meat, fruit + veg in bulk. I managed it when I was on the dole, people are just lazy.

:s-smilie: when was the last time you did shopping yourself..? I can pick up a microwave meal for 75p, whilst broccoli itself costs £1...
I don't eat microwave meals, I'm just pointing out that eating healthily isn't as cheap as you like to think it is. I'm not trying to be rude but no one really cares if you believe them or not- people can eat what they want.
Again, I don't eat microwave meals, I'm just aware that I can cook one up much cheaper than a full meat, fruit and veg meal.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sconter
all well and good when u can afford it. and cheap cuts of meat taste alot worse than burgers.

This!

Quick Reply

Latest