The Student Room Group

Grammar school vs. normal 6th form

I am soooo stuck at the minute - I'm not sure if I want to stay at the grammar school I'm at or to go to the normal sixth form college where all my friends from outside of school are going :s-smilie:
What would any of you guys do???
I just stayed at the school I go to ( a grammar school) I know the teachers and my way round so it was easier. It's a big jump between GCSE and a level and I wouldn't want to change schools in between. You'd want to get to know the teachers but there really isn't enough time. But there are plenty of people who do so you wouldn't be the only one.
Don't you have friends in your current grammar school?

If so, I'd stay, providing of course that you're happy with the teachers, etc. Kinda great as well to be able to say you've spent 7 years at one place and it'll be all very emotional and sad come the last day :tongue: - don't think you'll quite feel the same about some other place in which you would've only been a student for 2 years.
I'm Australian, so I'm not really down wit' all the English school terminology. I don't know what a grammar school is but you should go wherever you'll be happiest. If you work hard enough you can probably learn plenty and get decent results at any school.
Reply 4
I do have a couple of friends but not very many - I'm a bit of a loner :frown:
A grammar school's basically a private school..
I don't fit in that much either because everyone there is like way rich and I'm there on a scholarship.
I would like to stay and I would like to go - it's so hard to choose.
Reply 5
It depends if you're happy where you are at the moment - if you like your current school stay, particularly if you might get a better education there. I changed school for sixth form because I really wanted to get out of there and make some new friends (as well as going to a better school), but if you're not feeling like you want to leave I'd stay if I were you. Also factor in things like if you have to travel more for the new school.
It sounds like the normal sixth form could be the way to go if you'll have more friends there. Less snobs is a bonus too. Having said that, the teaching quality might be worse and there's no reason to change things if you're happy with the current arrangement. Quite a dilemma...
Reply 7
Is your grammar school state or fee paying?
look round the school your thinking of going to and talk to the teachers and current pupils as much as possible, it may turn out that you wouldn't actually like the 6th form colllege.
Reply 8
Was you writing that your friends are like rich and you got in on a scholarship as an example of the difference between you and the majority of people at your current school, because grammar schools are for free!
I say, do what makes you happy. I'm in my second year of college and wished I moved! Why? Because that's what I wanted to do. My school is just a normal old school, although it's teaching and grades are pretty good. Just sent a girl off to Oxford Uni last year. And the other sixth form I wanted to go to was a good sixth form with good pass rates, a nice presentation of the school and rep. And it did the subjects I liked and I just had a good feeling about it.
Take into consideration that there will be new people moving into your sixth form when you enter into year 12, so you'd probably make friends, and most likely at least one and more people aren't 'rich' but got in on a sly like my friend who goes to a grammar school.
Hmm... I say move! haha, just had to give you some things to think about. Just don't have too much fun and waffle off, concentrate, education as your main and yes that's it! but think thoroughly if you like the school or not. Not that your friends are going to be there because I tell you this with all honesty that a lot of friendships break off in sixth form..not all, but it does happen, gladly not with me but a lot of people in my sixth form. Also kid, when you go into to sixth forme everyone changes! No one's petty anymore (well not that much) it's all about the step up from gcse to a level, you feel the maturity in the air and people just talk and get along. The populars in high school and the not so populars and inbetweens can be best friends. as long as you've got a nice personality, confidence, you'll be okay :smile: I know, a lot!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by p!atd16

A grammar school's basically a private school..

:confused: I went to a grammar and don't remember paying anything for it...probably explains the peeling paint and missing computer keys.

Back on topic, I'd go wherever the teaching and ucas-application help is better, providing I had some friends there. If you have friends at your current school and you're happy there, and there is a teacher who has known you for 5 years and will write you a good reference, then I don't really see the point in swapping?

Presumably there will be an influx of new people to make friends with anyway. :smile:
Reply 10
Better the devil you know.

Stay. Unless you happen to be going to one of the (apparently) good sixth form colleges in Brighton. :tongue:

<3 x
If you haven't already, visit the other school and try to get a feel for the atmosphere and the way they teach. This can make a huge difference - work out whether you work best in a laid back environment or one that's a little stricter. People who are very good at motivating themselves can work well in a laid-back environment where teachers won't chase you for homework. Others need to be pushed into working (I was one of these).

It's worth having a look at their A Level results for the subjects you want to study (as far as I'm aware most schools publish them somewhere), however if your current school is academically selective and the other isn't then you have to bear that in mind. Grammar schools inevitably score higher than comprehensives in school league tables because they have a more academically able intake who get better grades. If the pupils at a selective school are all getting fantastic grades, it will not necessarily mean that the teaching is better than a school where the intake is all-inclusive and the grades are more varied.

From my experience, most bright people will get good grades as long as they're in a good working environment. At university I've met people from some of the best schools in the country with the same A Level grades as people who went to inner-city comprehensives. Whichever school you feel you will be happiest in and work best in is the one for you, regardless of where your friends are going. If they go to a different school to you then you will be able to make new friends. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Thanks guys for all the help :biggrin:
At least I've got the summer to decide (well upto results day anyway)
The other college is quite good and they do usually have a lot of help for those wanting to apply to oxbridge.
Whoever it said that grammar schools are free: some are but most of them in my area are fee paying...
I think the teaching is probably a bit better at my school but it's not bad at the other place and the grades are pretty good (100% at my school and 98% at the other).
And I'm quite a motivated peep so I think I should be alright as I got from a normal, maybe not-so-great primary school to where I am now....
All your advice-y stuff has given me a lot to think about :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest