The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Aaron Sorkin is signed on to write for the Steve Jobs biopic. Given the similarities with The Social Network, he seems like the perfect man for the job.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I've seen most of his films. The only ones I really enjoyed were Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow and Big Fish.

What about his Batman movies, they are awesome and then Joel Schumacher ruined it. Nolan has turned it around big time though.
Original post by chancellorroberts
What about his Batman movies, they are awesome and then Joel Schumacher ruined it. Nolan has turned it around big time though.

I can honestly say I had zero interest in Batman before Nolan's The Dark Knight, after which I went and watched Batman Begins.
Burton's Batman was good, but more about his now-stale aesthetic and Jack Nicholson's Joker than anything else. Returns had too many villains and seemed to be an exercise in exactly how much self-conscious 'darkness' an audience could take. In this sense, it's probably the perfect 90's comic book movie, but it's little else really.

I'm not a fan, but there ARE great Burton films. Ed Wood is probably the gold standard, but Big Fish is also great and Beetlejuice is just pure fun.
Original post by Abiraleft
I wonder if it's at all worth reading this. :ninja: Heard the name bandied about quite a bit.

HEad over to the Thread now!
Reply 6345
Original post by cambo211
RDJ has apparently earned £31 million for the Avengers so far.

Ruffalo, Renner, Evans and Hemsworth have earned around £1.25 and 1.9 million.

Jackson and Johansson got about £3 milion.

Someone managed to work out a good deal with the studio it seems.

He's one of the bigger names of the film. You have Samuel L Jackson but hes not quite such a major character as rdj
Original post by Aj12
He's one of the bigger names of the film. You have Samuel L Jackson but hes not quite such a major character as rdj

It's to do with him negotiating a percentage of profits wage whenever he appears as Iron Man in a film.

Given how much the Avengers has taken so far it's just blown up.
Reply 6347
Just back from Dark Shadows. Wow, what a HOT MESS.

It was as if Burton couldn't decide what he actually wanted the film to be. A comedy, a seventies throwback, a gothic romance. He tried to fit all of it in and it just didn't work. There were a couple of funny moments but the way all the story lines were so hurriedly wrapped up in the last ten minutes cheapened the whole thing.

Also, this time more than any other time feels like Helena Bonham Carter's role was added in just because of who she is. Utterly pointless character!

5/10 at best.
Reply 6348
Watched Ghost World last night, thought it was a very good re-imagining of the comics. Buscemi is superb. :adore:

Also, the Cannes Film Fest is underway! It opened with Moonrise Kingdom, and apparently did well - which is great news. The trailer made it look like it could either be fantastic or a mess.

One 'sour note' with regards to the festival - there are no films by female directors, evidently.
Related to the RDJ story above, just reading about Hollywood accounting deliberately turning highly profitable films into losses and excluding people in profit sharing deals from recieving their shares - I never knew this went on.

How Hollywood Accounting Can Make a $450 Million Movie 'Unprofitable'
Related to the RDJ story above, just reading about Hollywood accounting deliberately turning highly profitable films into losses and excluding people in profit sharing deals from recieving their shares - I never knew this went on.

How Hollywood Accounting Can Make a $450 Million Movie 'Unprofitable'

The first time I heard about that was with Winston Groom, the author of Forrest Gump. He was contracted to earn 3% of the movie's net profits and never received any money because Paramount said it lost money. However Hanks and Zemeckis both were contracted for a share of the movie's gross profits, and netted $40m each.

Pretty much the most important thing you can do in Hollywood once you get offered a deal is find an excellent agent and a better lawyer.
Avengers is the most overrated film since Avatar.
Watched Scent of a Woman again last night. Bit long but awesome film.

Al Pacino :adore:
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Avengers is the most overrated film since Avatar.

I'm not sure Avatar was overrated though, was it? It was hugely successful and popular, but not really overrated. Inception was 'overrated' and maybe a better example, but way better a film.

I went to see avengers last night. My housemate wanted to see 3D and I went along with that, which was an error. It was only half full and and i'm pretty sure that the 2D was near sold out, so maybe it's on the wane, at last. The 3D was poor and I had to keep lifting the glasses to give myself an idea of the intended luminescence.

The filmed really bored us both. Another cgi smashfest that will be instantly forgotton. No charm, few bits of truly excellent dialogue, a couple of good scenes, but just waaaaaaaaay tooooooooooo long. I mean, we just wanted it to end by about 45 minutes from the end. The number of people taking toilet breaks was ridiculous, and when you have a decent story, a gripping story and one you just don't want to miss even a second of, that doesn't happen. Very poor, very disappointing after all the amazing reviews.

Came home, watched Die Hard. Flipping excellent.
Original post by pinkpenguin
Watched Scent of a Woman again last night. Bit long but awesome film.

Al Pacino :adore:
Such a great film. It has quite possibly the greatest speech in movie history. :yep:

Original post by Mister Dead
I'm not sure Avatar was overrated though, was it? It was hugely successful and popular, but not really overrated. Inception was 'overrated' and maybe a better example, but way better a film.

I went to see avengers last night. My housemate wanted to see 3D and I went along with that, which was an error. It was only half full and and i'm pretty sure that the 2D was near sold out, so maybe it's on the wane, at last. The 3D was poor and I had to keep lifting the glasses to give myself an idea of the intended luminescence.

The filmed really bored us both. Another cgi smashfest that will be instantly forgotton. No charm, few bits of truly excellent dialogue, a couple of good scenes, but just waaaaaaaaay tooooooooooo long. I mean, we just wanted it to end by about 45 minutes from the end. The number of people taking toilet breaks was ridiculous, and when you have a decent story, a gripping story and one you just don't want to miss even a second of, that doesn't happen. Very poor, very disappointing after all the amazing reviews.

Came home, watched Die Hard. Flipping excellent.

Avatar was a bad example to be fair, but Avengers was still seriously overrated. It was so hyped by my friends, I instantly checked Rotten Tomatoes and saw a near perfect score. Hadn't been so excited to watch a film for a while. For the first hour and a half, it was a complete borefest. Agree pretty much with everything you said.

I'm just happy that I had Cast Away recorded that night.
So looking forward to The Man of Steel reboot :biggrin:
DC Make the fricking Justice League Movie already!
Original post by DisturbingKand0R
So looking forward to The Man of Steel reboot :biggrin:

Hmmm Zack Snyder normally does okay when he's adapting established source material and it does have Christopher Nolan lurking about in the background. But I have a hard time being interested in anything Superman. It's the character more than anything, he's just so overpowered that it detracts from any danger he's presented with or obstacle that he has to overcome.
Hmmm Zack Snyder normally does okay when he's adapting established source material and it does have Christopher Nolan lurking about in the background. But I have a hard time being interested in anything Superman. It's the character more than anything, he's just so overpowered that it detracts from any danger he's presented with or obstacle that he has to overcome.

Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder have agreed on making it more edg ey, a bit like The Dark Knight. Superman is supposed to struggle throughout the movie, that will make it more dramatic in my opinion. So he's not going to be totally invinsible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending