The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G481 Mechanics [Thursday 17th May 2012]

Lets get the right date this time.

So yeah, anyone taking this exam tomorrow?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yep, what do you suggest revising between now and tomorrow?
I have printed off ever single past paper and am doing that

You don't really need to remember stuff for physics, its more application
Reply 3
Yeah, got it tomorrow. I'm kinda worried how the style of paper is going to be like and if there's going to be huge marks for explanations.

Any idea of what would come up for definite this time round?

Also June grade boundaries have always been higher than January ones.
Reply 4
Ok im taking this tomoz :eek:
so looking over june 2011 and jan 2012
im assuming maybe different stress strain graphs will come up for different materials?
maybe an experiment to test something e.g inclined plane experiment that hasnt come up for a while...torque...
these my lil predictions
good luck!
Reply 5
Just did the Jan 2012 paper... actually thought it was much harder than Jan 2011!

hope its easier tomorrow...

Good Luck!
Original post by naanbread95
Just did the Jan 2012 paper... actually thought it was much harder than Jan 2011!

hope its easier tomorrow...

Good Luck!

Can I have the Jan 2012 paper please
Reply 7
im taking it as well :s-smilie:

how can you obtain a greater moment?
can someone help?

i took the jan2012 paper and failed the moments question!!
Original post by emah123

can someone help?

Give me the question and I will work it out for you
Original post by emah123

can someone help?

you can increase the force or the distance, as moment=Fd
Reply 10
I took this exam in January earlier this year and got a D. Thought I was ready but I may have been wrong.. So I started revising extra early for the exam tomorrow :biggrin: lol not really i started yesterday. But it seems pretty okay. Anyway I thought I would give some tips! (not that many will take my advice after saying that)
But the best thing to do is go through every single past paper on the MEI website and with every question you get wrong, write all the solutions down and memorise how to do them. Although that may be hard the day before the exam so maybe a few of the past papers will do!
Good luck although I hope you all do dreadfully to lower the grade boundaries for me. (If you could that would be great! Cheers.)
Reply 11
Original post by Charlottek12
you can increase the force or the distance, as moment=Fd

thank you! do you guys feel readyy for this exam?

im soo not!
Reply 12
Original post by JuxtaposedJames
Give me the question and I will work it out for you

the question is 'the arrangement shown in fig 5( basically a plank with a person on the right of the pivot weight 70kg and on the left of pivot a mass of weight 5kg) has a maximum mass that it can determine. suggest 2 changes that can be made to the arrangemnt to increase this maximum possible mass.'
Reply 13
has anyone got the january paper from this year? i took the exam but i want to retake it in preparation for tomorrow :smile:

thanks
Reply 14
Original post by rawr4more
Ok im taking this tomoz :eek:
so looking over june 2011 and jan 2012
im assuming maybe different stress strain graphs will come up for different materials?
maybe an experiment to test something e.g inclined plane experiment that hasnt come up for a while...torque...
these my lil predictions
good luck!

What the hell is the inclined plane experiment? O_o

The only ones I know is the determine g, Young Modulus and centre of gravity.
Original post by `Mo
What the hell is the inclined plane experiment? O_o

The only ones I know is the determine g, Young Modulus and centre of gravity.

Does it mean with a ramp and a block on it, and you calculate things like the forces acting on it and use vectors etc?
Reply 16
Does it mean with a ramp and a block on it, and you calculate things like the forces acting on it and use vectors etc?

To find g, you use the electromagnet and the trap door experiment.
1) You measure the distance of between the bearing of the ball and the trap door.
2) You press the switch to simultaneously start the timer and release the ball from the electromagnet.
3) As the ball falls, it knocks the trapdoor which results in the circuit being broken and the time stopped.
4) You than have to re-arrange h=1/2gt^2 to find g
Original post by `Mo
To find g, you use the electromagnet and the trap door experiment.
1) You measure the distance of between the bearing of the ball and the trap door.
2) You press the switch to simultaneously start the timer and release the ball from the electromagnet.
3) As the ball falls, it knocks the trapdoor which results in the circuit being broken and the time stopped.
4) You than have to re-arrange h=1/2gt^2 to find g

Yeah, I understand finding g, but I meant was that for the inclined plane experiment? :smile:
Reply 18
Yeah, I understand finding g, but I meant was that for the inclined plane experiment? :smile:

Ah yes, but I don't quite remember what they would ask you about that. A question came up on the Jan 12 similar to it. I think the important thing to remember is that objects with different masses travelling down a slope have the same acceleration acting on them (if air resistance is negligible)
Original post by `Mo
Ah yes, but I don't quite remember what they would ask you about that. A question came up on the Jan 12 similar to it. I think the important thing to remember is that objects with different masses travelling down a slope have the same acceleration acting on them (if air resistance is negligible)

Yeah, I did loads of projectile and resolving forces questions today with some friends.. we spent most of the time designing it as an angry birds level but OH WELL :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest