The Student Room Group

Biology Paper 6 (6BI08) 2012 Official

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by demdil
mm, because the weedkiller was a growth regulator and the weeds had broad(!) leaves, i wrote that when the growth regulator is added, the weeds grow shoot and they use all of their energy to form more shoot and they wont produce the broad leaves so they wont photosynthesize. they'll grow in height and then die.. dont know it its correct :/ that was the only thing that came to my mind that time :smile:

i found this on a site ''Verdone Extra is a hormone weed killer, it affects the growth hormone on broad leaved weeds, encouraging them to grow at a fast rate which they cannot sustain, causing the weeds to literally grow themselves to death!''
source :http://www.lovethegarden.com/product-details/verdone-extra-ready-to-use
so i think that we'll both get 1 mark for mentioning it inhibits the growth enzymes ,im not so sure about the second mark though D:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 161
Thank you Edexcel for giving me two completely unpredictable core pracs to learn. You really trolled us this year.
Reply 162
Original post by Erycuna
i found this on a site ''Verdone Extra is a hormone weed killer, it affects the growth hormone on broad leaved weeds, encouraging them to grow at a fast rate which they cannot sustain, causing the weeds to literally grow themselves to death!''
source :http://www.lovethegarden.com/product-details/verdone-extra-ready-to-use
so i think that we'll both get 1 mark for mentioning it inhibits the growth enzymes ,im not so sure about the second mark though D:

mm.. i dont remember writing that it inhibits growth enzymes :s-smilie: .. anyway :smile: hope, generally it passed good for all of us :smile: cant wait for the resultss ....
Reply 163
I'm so angry at myself.

For the question on why the Weedkiller kills the Broad Leaved Weeds, I wrote about how the Weedkiller contains proteins that bind with receptors on the cell surface membrane causing chemical changes and shunting growth then killing it. Completely forgetting that IAA was mentioned, even then I had completely forgotten what IAA was because in the week and a half before this exam I didn't even bother looking at any Unit 4 or 5 syllabus.

Also in the habituation graph I drew a bloody bar graph instead of a lined one. So annoying.

I also did not have enough time to finish off Question 3 part C. So I'm pretty much screwed.
Reply 164
Original post by Otlichno
I'm so angry at myself.

For the question on why the Weedkiller kills the Broad Leaved Weeds, I wrote about how the Weedkiller contains proteins that bind with receptors on the cell surface membrane causing chemical changes and shunting growth then killing it. Completely forgetting that IAA was mentioned, even then I had completely forgotten what IAA was because in the week and a half before this exam I didn't even bother looking at any Unit 4 or 5 syllabus.

Also in the habituation graph I drew a bloody bar graph instead of a lined one. So annoying.

I also did not have enough time to finish off Question 3 part C. So I'm pretty much screwed.

You were only meant to suggest for the Weedkiller question so what you wrote could most probably be correct!

As for the habituation graph it was actually meant to be a scatter diagram.
Reply 165
True, I understand why. I just hope I can get some marks off the proper axis, the error bars I drew. :frown: It would be so annoying to get a zero in that question especially as I only guaranteed 2-4 marks in Q.3 C. :frown:

I came out of the exam thinking I did somewhat well, but Q.3 C, I was told, pretty much dictates how good you do. :frown:
Reply 166
how were we supposed to know how the heck weedkiller kills weeeeed ??!!!!! ARRGHHH it isnt even in our syllabus !!!! edexcels a troll ! well, i wrote that IAA is an auxin and thus will cause cell elongation it will cause cell walls to become elastic and stretchy, thus water will run into the cell by osmosis and cause the cell to lyse.......i wrote thi sas this is IN THE SYLLABUS ! im so pissed form edexcel !!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 167
do you guys reckon that the grade boundaries will be higher or lower than that of jan 2012? cos I found it a ****ingly hard paper and it was very vague in terms of the questions. Anybody here feeling the same thing?!
Reply 168
It's only the first question that was bad, to be honest. The 2nd and 3rd were actually good because we had an idea of how those experiments were done.
You werent supposed to know how the weedkiller effects the weed plants..
The questions was - How "effective" is the weedkiller in killing the weedplants and not harming cereal plants
You weere supposed to sample the area.....
Calcualte the percentage cover of weedplants in a area without weedkiller
comapred to the area with weedkiller.......
Original post by iesians
how were we supposed to know how the heck weedkiller kills weeeeed ??!!!!! ARRGHHH it isnt even in our syllabus !!!! edexcels a troll ! well, i wrote that IAA is an auxin and thus will cause cell elongation it will cause cell walls to become elastic and stretchy, thus water will run into the cell by osmosis and cause the cell to lyse.......i wrote thi sas this is IN THE SYLLABUS ! im so pissed form edexcel !!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude its okay chilll
cover up in your other exams

And u werent supposed to know weedkiller kills weed
It was a sampling experiment using quadrats and stuff
to see how eefective it is
Reply 171
Original post by vampirerahim
You werent supposed to know how the weedkiller effects the weed plants..
The questions was - How "effective" is the weedkiller in killing the weedplants and not harming cereal plants
You weere supposed to sample the area.....
Calcualte the percentage cover of weedplants in a area without weedkiller
comapred to the area with weedkiller.......

Question 1 part D asked HOW the weedkiller kills the plants. It had nothing to do with quadrats or any random sampling technique, that was question 1 part A, part C literally asked for details on how the weedkiller kills the plants. That is certainly not part of Unit 6 syllabus, but they occasionally have to do that to balance out the mark boundaries.
Reply 172
Original post by vampirerahim
Dude its okay chilll
cover up in your other exams

And u werent supposed to know weedkiller kills weed
It was a sampling experiment using quadrats and stuff
to see how eefective it is

ummmm. im not a dude.

and im talking about 1d it asked HOW does it kill !! DUHHH! !!!!
Original post by iesians
ummmm. im not a dude.

and im talking about 1d it asked HOW does it kill !! DUHHH! !!!!

Oh sorry...My bad....

dnt wry guyz
theres always unit 4,5 to cover up
give it you best shot :biggrin:
good luck
Reply 174
did any of you get 2 anomalies on the graph for the snail habituation thing?! cos I remembered there were 2 points that went up instead of going down. Ring any bells?!
Reply 175
Original post by al135
You were only meant to suggest for the Weedkiller question so what you wrote could most probably be correct!

As for the habituation graph it was actually meant to be a scatter diagram.

For that graph, did you guys see that there were 2 anomalies involved? Like the trend was going down but there were 2 points that went up? Did any of you get that?! :confused:
Reply 176
Original post by DravenH
For that graph, did you guys see that there were 2 anomalies involved? Like the trend was going down but there were 2 points that went up? Did any of you get that?! :confused:

Yeah, there were two anomalies, one was at point 2 and the other was at point 6 but you just needed to write down one of the two :smile:
Reply 177
Original post by al135
Yeah, there were two anomalies, one was at point 2 and the other was at point 6 but you just needed to write down one of the two :smile:

The lastt one was it at like 1.3 something seconds?
Reply 179

This was helpful, thankyou :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending