The Student Room Group

Quick Question

I'm going to be applying for medicine this year and I know that the entry requirements are AAAb
Well... most of the them

But as for my fourth As-level... I've chosen Geography
and I know I'm not going to do so well .. not even manage a B

So I was wondering if I took a language As-level next year to fall back on
Will they still accept me... providing that I get at least a B in my language as-level next year.. or will they just take my F in geography and ... well *REJECT*

Because another one of my friends who wants to apply for medicine is doing her As-level next year which is English... will that work out for her too?

Can students take their as-level in the second year?
Reply 1
Original post by 007Shella
I'm going to be applying for medicine this year and I know that the entry requirements are AAAb
Well... most of the them

Will they still accept me... providing that I get at least a B in my language as-level next year.. or will they just take my F in geography and ... well *REJECT*

Because another one of my friends who wants to apply for medicine is doing her As-level next year which is English... will that work out for her too?

Not too sure about whether taking geography or a language as I have no clue on medicine schools, but you can take as levels while your taking a2 you mean as long as the classes dont clash...ask your teacher as schools are different..
Reply 2
Original post by A128
Not too sure about whether taking geography or a language as I have no clue on medicine schools, but you can take as levels while your taking a2 you mean as long as the classes dont clash...ask your teacher as schools are different..

I'm allowed to do so, I've checked and asked my teachers and the headmistress too....
I'm def. able to do a language next year

but my question is will medical schools accept it if i take it next year?
and will geography still influence their decision on accepting me? will they just take my F in geography and *REJECTED*

=/

Because I'm still considering if I should sit the exam or not.... but isn't the exam already cashed in if you've signed up for it?
so a D/F is better than a U I guess.....
Reply 3
I'm allowed to do so, I've checked and asked my teachers and the headmistress too....
I'm def. able to do a language next year

but my question is will medical schools accept it if i take it next year?
and will geography still influence their decision on accepting me? will they just take my F in geography and *REJECTED*

=/

Because I'm still considering if I should sit the exam or not.... but isn't the exam already cashed in if you've signed up for it?
so a D/F is better than a U I guess.....

Do you mean you have taken 4 as levels this year and then next year you want to drop 1 and continue with 3 A3 Levels , plus take a language as an as level? ..If thats what you mean im sure the unis wont care, as long as you complete it all in the 2 years, then that wont be a problem..... will the 'F in geography ' if thats what you get this year be accepted..i think if you dont carry on with it next year and dont do any retakes you dont need to cash it in...thats what i did , i failed physics and so just dropped it in A2 and it was like i didnt do an AS level ... :smile:
Reply 4
^^ LOL i meant 3 A2 levels :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by A128
^^ LOL i meant 3 A2 levels :biggrin:

LOL it's fine i gotchya !

so all I have to do .. is not "cash" the results ? O.O
Well... most of the them

You can take AS levels in your second year of sixth form(well, you can at some schools anyway, so you should probably check with them), but I would think carefully about taking a language...

If you can already speak a language to a decent level then I'd go for it, but if you can't, then it'd be a lot of work to get it up to a B grade.

I'm guessing that your three A2s are science subjects, and I think you should be fine with a language at AS. From what I remember when I thought about medicine, it's normally three science at AS, and at least 2 (incl. Chemistry) at A2. Other than that, they're not to bothered about what subjects you do (provided they're sufficiently academic, which a language would be).
Reply 7
LOL it's fine i gotchya !

talk to your 'exam caher in' guy/woman (Y) about it because the rules changed when i did it last year so my bet is to tell them not to cash it in if you dont want it :wink:...good luck
Reply 8
Original post by FrogInABog
You can take AS levels in your second year of sixth form(well, you can at some schools anyway, so you should probably check with them), but I would think carefully about taking a language...

If you can already speak a language to a decent level then I'd go for it, but if you can't, then it'd be a lot of work to get it up to a B grade.

I'm guessing that your three A2s are science subjects, and I think you should be fine with a language at AS. From what I remember when I thought about medicine, it's normally three science at AS, and at least 2 (incl. Chemistry) at A2. Other than that, they're not to bothered about what subjects you do (provided they're sufficiently academic, which a language would be).

Oh okay cool Thanks! ... I'm pretty fluent in the language so I think I'll be good
and I've got help at home because my mum's got a degree in that language lol

I was just worried about what the Universities will think about my geography grade
Reply 9
Original post by A128
talk to your 'exam caher in' guy/woman (Y) about it because the rules changed when i did it last year so my bet is to tell them not to cash it in if you dont want it :wink:...good luck

again.. Thanks a lot!
I was really worried about this.... Posting stuff on here makes things seem a lot better !

and are you already at Uni now? O.O
Reply 10
again.. Thanks a lot!
I was really worried about this.... Posting stuff on here makes things seem a lot better !

and are you already at Uni now? O.O

your welcome..i know this website reassures me with every academic decision i make!

Im going to study architecture this september..not sure where yet, but possibly greenwich :biggrin:

You have to cash in your results now

(unless you go to a private school, in which case you can chose. However, if a university knows that your school normally cash in your grades, then they will get suspicious as to why you haven't cashed in yours)
Reply 12
Original post by SaintSoldier
You have to cash in your results now

(unless you go to a private school, in which case you can chose. However, if a university knows that your school normally cash in your grades, then they will get suspicious as to why you haven't cashed in yours)

Yeah I go to a Private school....

I just don't want to do geography but I've already signed up for it O.O
Reply 13
Original post by A128
your welcome..i know this website reassures me with every academic decision i make!

Im going to study architecture this september..not sure where yet, but possibly greenwich :biggrin:

Best of luck in your future endeavours =)
Reply 14
Best of luck in your future endeavours =)

Thank youuuuuu! You too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest