The Student Room Group

OCR B Advancing Physics in Action 17.5.12

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi! I hope everyone is prepared. I'm feeling pretty good about this exam. I hope someone releases an unofficial markscheme after, they help loads! Good luck everyone!
Reply 21
Found this qutie hard. Probably <40/60 for an A. Not much higher.

or maybe this was just me?
Reply 22
Yeah A LOT of people in my school found it hard, so hoping for low grade boundaries.
Reply 23
So bloody hard :frown:
Reply 24
Original post by aidanatkin
Hi! I hope everyone is prepared. I'm feeling pretty good about this exam. I hope someone releases an unofficial markscheme after, they help loads! Good luck everyone!

how did u find it??
Reply 25
I found this so much harder than any past papers I'd done, realised I'd gone 4kw too high for the 'one cup' kettle question /: Didn't really leave myself enough time for the question on the polarising filters in 3d glasses, found it unusual to see that question on significant figures, but I guess it was an easy mark, overall though I don't feel happy with how I did /: Does anyone remember what they put for their estimate of strain on an elastic band? o:
Reply 26
Original post by aidanatkin

How can they 'help'?

Maybe its nice to confirm your 100% but for most of us it ruins our summer ;P

Good Luck.
Reply 27
Original post by LauraMuser
I found this so much harder than any past papers I'd done, realised I'd gone 4kw too high for the 'one cup' kettle question /: Didn't really leave myself enough time for the question on the polarising filters in 3d glasses, found it unusual to see that question on significant figures, but I guess it was an easy mark, overall though I don't feel happy with how I did /: Does anyone remember what they put for their estimate of strain on an elastic band? o:

I'm also feeling quite bad.
Hopefully we'll be saved by:
1) grade boundaries have been as low as 34/60 for an A on this paper. That's about 50/60 for full UMS
2)The paper is only 30% of the AS. Can still be pulled up massively by the other one (which is easier and 50%) and coursework

I put 5 (a 5 cm rubber band would stretch about 25cm?)
Reply 28
I found it really hard as well, all the emf questions :s-smilie: I counted up the ones I was confident on and I reckon I got about 43/60 I hope the grade boundaries are OK :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Oglogski
I'm also feeling quite bad.
Hopefully we'll be saved by:
1) grade boundaries have been as low as 34/60 for an A on this paper. That's about 50/60 for full UMS
2)The paper is only 30% of the AS. Can still be pulled up massively by the other one (which is easier and 50%) and coursework

I put 5 (a 5 cm rubber band would stretch about 25cm?)

I hope so, I haven't spoken to anyone who's been totally confident on this exam, so I really do hope the grade boundaries are low.
And true, I hope the second paper isn't as difficult >.<

Actually that makes sense, I put 0.5 imagining it not to have stretched that much o: Oh well
Good luck for your results :smile:
Reply 30
I put 0.5 as well, I assumed it'd stretch just over double its length which is about 2 times and so closer to 0.5 than 5 :s-smilie: maybe they'll be a bit lenient, I hope so!
Reply 31
Yeah, me too!
Reply 32
That's the third time i've done this exam and once again I don't think I've done well, I should be aiming for a high B/ A but I just found that was really hard, :frown:
I've never done so badly in an exam in my life. Was predicted an A but admittedly I didn't do loads of revision but I would be lucky to get an E, I would be ecstatic if I got a D after that. Need to revise like crazy for next friday:frown:
Reply 34
so what did people put the the kettle one and the strain on an elastic band one?

also the resolution, diameter thingybob, what did people get cause i'm 99% sure I did it wrong :/
Reply 35
For those of you who put 0.5 strain on the elastic band, I looked at the 2011 past papers and some on the questions in there indicate 5 is a much more likely answer, although it does vary a lot - maybe they will be lenient..

As for the kettle, I put 50.. is that correct?
Reply 36
For the elastic band/kettle one I put 0.5 for the elastic band and 5kw for the kettle. If you look online most kettles tend to be between 1 and 3 kw therefore 5 is kind of in the right magnitude and as for the elastic band I would expect it to stretch by less than twice its original length - certainly nothing like 5x - and they wouldn't be the same answer surely?
Reply 37
typo - i put these answers too - god i'm stupidly stressed out about this! What did you guys put for the galaxy resolution, light year one?
Reply 38
I couldn't answer the galaxy one, i forgot how to work it out :/
Reply 39
How did you guys work out the "Voltage Drop" ?

Quick Reply

Latest