University of Northampton
Northampton
Visit website

Anyone applied to Northampton?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Lewis-Richardson
Anyone going to study Law? and who has applied for William Carey en-suit? want to get to know people before I go as I wont know anyone :/ haha good luck with all your exams everyone.

Yes to Law, no accommodation :smile:
Northampton
Visit website
Just applied for my accommodation. Hoping to study English Literature with Creative Writing as well! :smile: Just gotta pass my A-Levels now...
Reply 82
What are the best halls at park campus?? Im a quiet person but i dont mind partying
Original post by JoeWilliams
Just applied for my accommodation. Hoping to study English Literature with Creative Writing as well! :smile: Just gotta pass my A-Levels now...

I really hope I pass my A-levels, really want to go to uni this year... couldn't bare doing another year at college :/
Reply 84
where is northamptoN?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 85
Cheers, william carey is the one i like but i dont think i can afford the single en suite. Looking at the standard single rooms.
Reply 86
>.< Having an en-suite is great. Have to admit it's pricey.. but it's first year! Next year you will probably find a house for .. £65-£70 vs the £90 something it is for halls! :biggrin:
Reply 87
Original post by MrHunter
>.< Having an en-suite is great. Have to admit it's pricey.. but it's first year! Next year you will probably find a house for .. £65-£70 vs the £90 something it is for halls! :biggrin:

Ive been looking at private and thats £70 - £80 compared to the £100 for a room with en-suite. I might just have a standard single.
Reply 88
Yea, our house next year is something like £80 p/w gotta admit the only downside of halls is how pricey they are! (But you do get your rooms cleaned and kitchen cleaned aha :biggrin:)
Reply 89
True that is an upside to halls.
Anyone else in the halls at Avenue?
Reply 91
Original post by sammaguire94
Anyone else in the halls at Avenue?

Me :biggrin:

Hooray! Finally someone else who applied to do English and Creative writing. :biggrin: Did you go to the open day in March?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 92
Yep i'm gonna be studying Computer Systems Engineering :smile: Price of halls gonna be a killer though, i'm going to have to get a job for sure :/
Original post by echeee
Me :biggrin:

Hooray! Finally someone else who applied to do English and Creative writing. :biggrin: Did you go to the open day in March?

Yup, although I think there were two in March so.... I don't remember which I went to.
Reply 94
Original post by Mickimus
Yes to Law, no accommodation :smile:

I applied for law as well. anyone of you applying for the en suite rooms?
Reply 95
Original post by MichaelACH
Yep i'm gonna be studying Computer Systems Engineering :smile: Price of halls gonna be a killer though, i'm going to have to get a job for sure :/

If your on a full loan it's not too bad, and first year is generalized, but word of advice..... brush up on Java like... half this year has been programming. Such an easy year though aha!
Reply 96
Yup, although I think there were two in March so.... I don't remember which I went to.

Erm was there? I went on the March 23rd one haha :]
Reply 97
I just remember the SU...... >.<
Reply 98
Original post by MichaelACH

If your on a full loan it's not too bad, and first year is generalized, but word of advice..... brush up on Java like... half this year has been programming. Such an easy year though aha!

Thanks allot man it the same thing my ICT teacher was telling me, i'm definitively going to be doing that now haha. Do you have any recommendation for books that i should look into?
Reply 99
[QUOTE="MichaelACH;37608391"]

Thanks allot man it the same thing my ICT teacher was telling me, i'm definitively going to be doing that now haha. Do you have any recommendation for books that i should look into?

Books are a bit rubbish for programming in my opinion (they are incredibly boring and hard to understand if you have never programmed before) some great tutorials from a guy on youtube called thenewboston though. We just had our exams not too long ago and it was a nightmare :/

But yea, you want to learn Java fundamentals (Data types.. how to structure programs etc constructors methods) and then how to build your own methods.... and constructors! There's a lot to be honest, but basics and writing simple console applications (but in the second semester there will probably be some basic GUI design with implementation of logic) I have all the last years lecture notes if you want any of them.... There is a Software Engineering module that is a nightmare, and a problem solving module that uses quite a lot of Java, so yea! Lot's to brush up on.

Would also recommend taking a look into internet programming related languages (HTML / CSS / JS "JavaScript").

And lastly start brushing up on things like Binary and C and basic systems (Computer Systems Module). The maths module is quite heavily formal mathematics so if you have a background in maths you should find it quite easy, computer communications you won't need to read up on too much either.

Sorry for the essay! I'm offski to bed, but yes. If you want any of the lecture notes for the last year please let me know, got mine + the slides + previous assignments (grade A work might I add). ^^! It's a great computing department, there are a couple of odd teachers. But if you are serious about taking Computer Systems the teachers are pretty awesome to be honest!

Oh and forgot, if you want to be part of the cool crowd I would recommend doing some reading into Linux as one way or another the labs use them on some of the computers if you want.

ALSO http://www.computing.northampton.ac.uk/ has some of the modules on but not all of them. So would take a look at the first year stuff.

Did you have a tour of the Newton Building?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending