The Student Room Group

Intelligence

:s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Excuse my crudeness but I essentially read this as "I'm autistic so I'm smart. If you want to be as smart as me, take drugs."

You get "smarter" by working harder. The required intelligence threshold for contemporary exams is not as high as you think. A persistent and conscientious work ethic is required and you'll have no problem.
(edited 11 years ago)
One could take drugs to pass one's exams. Call me old-fashioned, but I'm going to revise.
Reply 3
Ultimately responses to this thread will vary on a individuals definition of the word 'intelligence'. According to google it is, The ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.

Your post skips alot of external factors.

For example, someones attitude may be very limb, their brain might work at the speed of light but without enthuasism it is nothing but a rusting machine.

Upbringing and other environmental factors are also very important. Someone who has experienced and lived through a whole lot more is likely to have greater, sharper skills and be able to manage things easier.

Everyones minds work differently. You might learn by reading, another by watching another by experimenting, these are sometimes genetic, other times they can be environmental, someone who learns by seeing or experimenting will not be able to do as well as someone who learns purely by reading at exams.

Therefore we can conclude that what is required from a individual is patience, hardwork and some sort of average mind or another.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hmm, I disagree with this - I know people who are so intelligent and get A's on all their mocks in the comfort of their own home/classroom without their notes - yet under exam conditions they freak out and just lose everything, so to say intelligence is based on your performance in exams is silly in my own opinion. I myself get incredibly nervous under exam conditions - I hate exams and I always find myself working poorer than I do in my classroom. Revise as much as I want, I still and always will be scared and despise exams - I think they're a horrible way to test intelligence with the stressful conditions, you're not even allowed a coat in my venue just in case we'll cheat! Like I'm going to put notes in my pocket and take them out, with everyone watching - the same goes with my bag or my phone in my pocket, I think it's going to be obvious if I take it out and start googling the answers. 8-)
Reply 5
It's a combination of natural intelligence and motivation to work hard that makes a person "smart". If Einstein had been spectacularly lazy, would he have ever achieved anything?
Reply 6
Well, learn how you want, but this education system is corrupt. It all comes down to the exams, so if your mind just goes blank during the exam, whatever you've tried to learn for the exam would have been in vain.

Sure, some people are naturally smart (not referring to IQ or exams), in terms of logical ability and creativeness etc, but thats not fair on the people who aren't gifted with brains.

Einstein was a special case. Some say he had a bigger memory buffer (enhanced glutamate transmission/synapse efficency), allowing him to run complex thought processes with ease. Others say he had aspergers syndrome (spectrum matters, and we don't know the severity), which I think is plausible.

Einstein did what he did, because he was good at it, and he had interest in it. Ok, so let's say you all have the will to study, but you're not really bothered to spend hours trying to memorise/ or understand a concept, what would you do?

The best thing would be to find the root of the problem, and deal with it. What's stopping you from memorising the entire book in less than a week? I mean I studied only 3 weeks for my C1 maths exam and got 1 mark away from an A. The reason I got a B was because of a few stupid mistakes. I knew what I did wrong after the exam... Bit late then I suppose.

What I'm trying to say is, there are ways to enhance your brain's capabilities, which will make your studying easier to manage.
Reply 7
Wow...!

Thanks.....!
In my opinion, intelligence is important but hard work is far more important in a given population because back in secondary school you get get graded on your efforts, people who tends to try harder get the better grades and perform better in school. You could shout how clever you are everyday but if you don't put the effort into it you will fail.

oh and I never took any drugs to pass any of my exams but you mentioned you studied for 3 weeks to pass C1, I was so caught up with other revision I didn't open the C1 textbook until 7 hours before I had to go to the exam, I looked over it- refreshed my memory and looked at a couple of past papers i got an A in the end. Drugs don't work man.
Intelligence?

Revise. Now with added epicness to get you that A.

Free of: drugs and any other artificial intelligence enhancers.

*brains not included, T&C Applies.*
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Faze
Well, learn how you want, but this education system is corrupt. It all comes down to the exams, so if your mind just goes blank during the exam, whatever you've tried to learn for the exam would have been in vain.

Sure, some people are naturally smart (not referring to IQ or exams), in terms of logical ability and creativeness etc, but thats not fair on the people who aren't gifted with brains.

Einstein was a special case. Some say he had a bigger memory buffer (enhanced glutamate transmission/synapse efficency), allowing him to run complex thought processes with ease. Others say he had aspergers syndrome (spectrum matters, and we don't know the severity), which I think is plausible.

Einstein did what he did, because he was good at it, and he had interest in it. Ok, so let's say you all have the will to study, but you're not really bothered to spend hours trying to memorise/ or understand a concept, what would you do?

The best thing would be to find the root of the problem, and deal with it. What's stopping you from memorising the entire book in less than a week? I mean I studied only 3 weeks for my C1 maths exam and got 1 mark away from an A. The reason I got a B was because of a few stupid mistakes. I knew what I did wrong after the exam... Bit late then I suppose.

What I'm trying to say is, there are ways to enhance your brain's capabilities, which will make your studying easier to manage.

It may be corrupt, but what other alternatives are out there which can be used to measure one's level of intelligence? There really aren't any other superior alternatives to this method of learning because the current education system does give the greatest measure of both intelligence and work ethic.
i'd say in normal exams like gcse/ A level/ uni it's more like 80% working hard and 20% being smart
Original post by Faze

You studied for C1 for three weeks, got a B, and say you have superior intelligence? I got an A in C1 with less than that, and I'm not particularly good at maths...
(edited 11 years ago)
Intelligence is actually more along the lines of intellectual efficiency. The more intelligent you are the more efficiently your cognitive processes will work. This can be improved with practice/ study like all skills.
Reply 14
Exams only serve to test who has the best memory.
It all comes down to what you define as intelligence?

I think pure coginitive/reasoning ability is only part of it. This is something that isn't easy to train and more what you are born with. However, other factors come into play such as memory, perseverance, ability to pick up and learn new skills, applying things you know to a new situation.

So basically, doing well in exams comes down to simply having a good memory, learning the course well so you actually understand the key factors and being able to apply this knowledge to questions you haven't seen before. Memory is something that can be trained and exams (especially at GCSE and A level) generally don't test for creativeness. Having higher cognitive processing power helps you to learn things quickly and so, for a example, someone who is classically intelligent may be able to look at a question they've never done before and without having studied the area, be able to work out the answer whereas someone less classically intelligent will have to know more information to be able to get there. This can easily be overcome by working harder though so I think exams are quite fair - if you are intelligent and work hard, you'll do well; and if you aen't stupid and work hard, you can still do well.
Reply 16
Original post by Saada
Exams only serve to test who has the best memory.

Painfully true...
Reply 17
Exams just test rote learning in GCSE and A-level.
Original post by Faze
Exams are used to measure your ability to, memorise, understand, use logic, be creative, think fast etc.

Basically, the system wants to sort out the smart students from the dumb ones. You can't try to be smart, you're either smart, or you're not.

If you want to ace your exams then just get smarter, plain and simple.

I'm naturally smart because I've got a pleiotropic gene mutation, and excess white matter in my brain, due to aspergers syndrome.

Your brain is made up of neurons, and white matter. Neurons communicate via synapses. Let's make an analogy, the neurons are the thinking power, the white matter is the motherboard/chipset, and the synapses are the communication bus.

If you want a faster PC with more thinking power, then you upgrade the CPU or overclock. Upgrade the chipset or overclock, and overclock the comm bus/timings.

So how do we get smarter? I say, Nootropics/drugs/medication.

You can increase the number of neurons in your brain by enhancing neurogenesis. Pregnenolone, CREB modulators, cAMP enhancers, etc can increase neurogenesis.

Next up, white matter. Beta catenin/WNT activation via sex steroids (testosterone/oestrogen) can increase white matter in your brain potently, hence the reason why people experience an increase in cognition during puberty.

Increasing synapse effiency is the hardest because it's not something you can do permanently. Piracetam and aniracetam, along with other nootropics can enhance synpase functioning allowing your neurons to communicate faster, and with more effiency. More neurons talking to each other = more brainpower.

Lets not forget that AS isn't something people generally want to have.

You get good at exams by knowing the content and/or applying it. The latter takes some amount of intellect, but the former does not. You could get the world's most "intelligent" person to take an exam, but if he didn't know the ocntent he would fail.

No amount of drugs will teach you Chemistry, you have to do that the hard way.
there is someone in year who isn't very bright but tries very hard. He basically memorises textbooks and revises for 12 hours a day. Having marked some of his end of topic tests he consistently gets 90%+ but the marks he misses out on are applied knowledge or something that isn't in the textbook. Even in class, if my teacher asks a question that is not on the spec, only a few will be able to answer it. I'm not saying that's me, I've only got those questions right a couple of times and afterwards usually say "that makes sense- why didn't I think of that?". Yes he'll get good results and will probably go on to do medicine as he is determined to. But is he intelligent or can he just learn how to answer exams?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending