The Student Room Group

maneuvers

When did you learn maneuvers? (sorry if i have spelt it wrong?) I will be doing roundabouts properly next week and he said that in a few weeks I will be booking my test because of the long waiting list. After how many hours did you learn parellel parking, reversing around a corner etc? I have had 7 hours so far.
Reply 1
I didn't start manuevers until the 10th or 11th lesson.
Reply 2
Learning to drive backwards should take place after continued and consistent competence in driving forwards.

As long as it's all covered and consistently good before your test, you shouldn't worry too much about whether it's on lesson 8, 18 or 38.
Did this on my 5th lesson if i can remember clearly.
I did roundabouts on my 2nd lesson, three point turn on my 3rd, reverse parking on my 4th. Practice your clutch control before you do any slow moving manoeuvres. It really helps (Where you keep the clutch down, and use that to control the speed instead of the accelerator).
I have done 19 lessons and did the turn in the road on the 6th or 7th lesson, the parallel park was about the 12th lesson, and the reverse round a corner was the 18th lesson.

Doing emergency stop on lesson 20 :biggrin:
Reply 6
Driving backwards - best idea - get friend to take you to a big open private area and go backwards - nothing fancy - just drive backwards

After a while you can then do more fancy things whilst driving backwards like figure of eights etc

this might seem daft but it is the best way to get confidence and learn/get the feel of it
I have just started learning to do turn in the road by myself at 13 hours of 1.5 hour lessons, but then I am a VERY slow learner who is horrible at multitasking and doesn't get any private practice lol.
There's a good YouTube video on reversing around a corner, made by a driving examiner. The principle explained in the video applies to the other manoeuvres in the driving test.

The video shows you what the examiner is really thinking when he is conducting the majority of tests in his working day.

Give your driving examiner a pleasant surprise; show him you know how to use your judgement.

' The Driving Test. Reversing Around a Corner. ' by lacontrabasse

All the best

Victor
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
I started maneuvres the week after roundabouts. Seems a bit optimistic to book a test before you've even attempted any maneuvres, but depends how many hours you have a week and how long the waiting list is.
Reply 10
Original post by Svenjamin
I started maneuvres the week after roundabouts. Seems a bit optimistic to book a test before you've even attempted any maneuvres, but depends how many hours you have a week and how long the waiting list is.

I am just following instructor's instructions. Waiting list is 8 weeks so its not that optimistic when I will of had over 20 lessons at that point.
Original post by dreamer247
I am just following instructor's instructions. Waiting list is 8 weeks so its not that optimistic when I will of had over 20 lessons at that point.

Yeah, that sounds reasonable. Booking the test is a rough science in any case - can always ask about any slots freed up by cancellations if you're ready sooner or put it back if you're not ready in time. Having a date to work towards at least gives some focus.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
I did roundabouts on my first and started proper maneuvers (turn in the road) on my second.
Third, and it was REALLY raining, always fun
Original post by wibletg
I didn't start manuevers until the 10th or 11th lesson.

same as me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending