The Student Room Group

Exam errors AGAIN...

close + delete pls
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Completely agree. I'm from one of the schools mentioned in the report, and every year we have a lot of people who have to get a remark because of these mistakes.
THIS MAKES ME SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MAD MAD MAD. USUALLY WE THINK A REMARK WILL EARN YOU 1 OR TWO MARKS OR MOVE YOU DOWN ONE OR TWO MARKS. But this is an absolute DISGRACE. All those people who should be doing certain courses at uni or applying to them, aren't because of these incompetent wastemen!
Getting a low grade can really bring down your morale as well, this just made me INFURIATED when it came on at 8.

Can they not even use a calculator when it comes to adding up marks? Thanks for failing us yet again!
But don't let this bring you down though so close to the final exams!
Reply 4
Its so retarded if people gain marks from remarks then what about those who cant afford a remark what about there grade? Its like stupid. You should get the right mark first time, no need for remarks especially with maths/science.
I know that this is only one example, not representative of the whole population, and the exception rather than the rule, but one of my mates took an OCR History exam in the Jan 12 exam season, and his module grade went up from a low C to a low A* after a remark.

Luckily for him, he's an A/A* student, so he knew that he had to get that script remarked, but it's completely unfair on those who don't know what they actually should have achieved!
Reply 6
Really makes me wish I'd not accepted my tutors word and asked for a re-mark of my A2 Biology Unit 5 and 6 papers..
Original post by joey11223
Really makes me wish I'd not accepted my tutors word and asked for a re-mark of my A2 Biology Unit 5 and 6 papers..

Same my teacher told me not to get a remark. Also i got an E on an exam that i thought i had done so well in, it was chem OCR A2 in january, maybe i did get an E, maybe not, i just put it down to me being too thick for it. Who knows now...
Reply 8
"A Channel 4 News investigation reveals exam boards making money from their own mistakes, how state schools are more likely to lose out"

What do private schools do that state schools dont when it comes to exam boards and mistakes??
Reply 9
**** me examiners are stupid! 32+36=78??:s-smilie: I mean how would you not notice that?

OCR are my exam board for 5 of my 7 exams! :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by QwertyG
"A Channel 4 News investigation reveals exam boards making money from their own mistakes, how state schools are more likely to lose out"

What do private schools do that state schools dont when it comes to exam boards and mistakes??

Private schools can afford more re-marks. Virtually every person who 'underperforms' in our school is offered a re-mark, and most get their marks bumped up (like the pupil mentioned in the televised report, who got about 25% extra in his English).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
This makes me so angry! I remember my colleges AS unit 2 law exam grades were really low so my teacher requested a remark and every single student went up AT LEAST one grade. I only went up one grade but there was this one guy who went from a D to a solid A. What the ****!
Reply 12
Is it just me or does it always seem to be the same few exam boards...

take OCR for example..

first of all, there is this suspension of a whistle-blower who was just doing what was right,

and last year I sat a Decision Mathematics 1 exam written by OCR which made headlines because it contained an "impossible question"...

If i'm honest, i think this whole system of having such a competitive market between examination boards is flawed... but thats a rant for another day lol :h:
Reply 13
hmmm i live in scotland..... anyone know if the sqa system is different?
Well fortunately neither maths, chemistry or biology are OCR for me. But then again, all of the boards are corrupt, somewhat.....
Reply 15
OCR suck.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 16
I saw this today on the news and remembered about my OCR Biology F214 June 2011 paper. When the results came I had 70 UMS points (2 away from an A grade). My Bio teacher advised I should have it remarked. I wasn't so bothered about it but he insisted and I paid the fee and my UMS ended up increasing by 12 points to 82 UMS. If it wasn't for my teacher I would have lost 12 UMS points. Therefore I had to pay to check whether someone had done their job correctly.
Original post by joey11223

Same my teacher told me not to get a remark. Also i got an E on an exam that i thought i had done so well in, it was chem OCR A2 in january, maybe i did get an E, maybe not, i just put it down to me being too thick for it. Who knows now...
Original post by Kasarna
I saw this today on the news and remembered about my OCR Biology F214 June 2011 paper. When the results came I had 70 UMS points (2 away from an A grade). My Bio teacher advised I should have it remarked. I wasn't so bothered about it but he insisted and I paid the fee and my UMS ended up increasing by 12 points to 82 UMS. If it wasn't for my teacher I would have lost 12 UMS points. Therefore I had to pay to check whether someone had done their job correctly.

I'm actually starting to get a wee bit upset here.
I should've entered in for a remark too then.
We should protest outside their HQ, but lucky for them they're not in London.
Reply 19
I usually think of remarks for when you're on borderline grades etc 1-2 marks off a C but this is really shocking! My friend sent her PE exam off for a remark this Jan and found an extra 8 marks, it makes you wonder! Also to quote the article:

Georgia Totvanian is in her final year at Leeds university but her life there would never have materialised if she had trusted the examiner who marked one of her final year history A-level papers. She was initially given a 'U', but it was moved to a 'B' after a re-mark.

"If I had accepted a 'U', I wouldn't have got into Leeds, probably wouldn't have got in my second choice and I would have had a 'U' on my transcript which would have looked so bad," she told Channel 4 News. "God knows where I would have ended up."

:eek:

Quick Reply

Latest