The Student Room Group

Higher History

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nfergs
German Nationalism 1815-1850, I had the essay for homework, a NAB and in the prelim so I thought this would be an essay I could get a good mark for. :biggrin:
However I have no idea what to memorise for Germany...

Yeah! :smile: Seems like ages ago we did the extended essays now haha, but that sounds good!
I'm gonna memorise quotes for every section; the 'detailed descriptors' off SQA website and yeah..
but you know how there's six issues? There's no way I'm doing issue 2 (how far did nationalism spread etc) and I'm not very comfortable on 4 (why was unification achieved).. I just don't understand what you're meant to write about really..
Reply 21
My teacher told me that.. Oh wait I forgot.
Reply 22
Original post by Nfergs
I'm risking it and memorising essays. The only essay I feel that will definitely appear is the Labour Government Reforms for the British topic. What is everyone else predicting?

Is that how useful were the labour reforms? If so, then I would LOVE a question on that! I did how useful we're the liberal reforms in my extended essay, but it came up in last year's paper, so I doubt it will come up 2 years in a row. :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 23
Original post by hollieeilloh
Yeah! :smile: Seems like ages ago we did the extended essays now haha, but that sounds good!
I'm gonna memorise quotes for every section; the 'detailed descriptors' off SQA website and yeah..
but you know how there's six issues? There's no way I'm doing issue 2 (how far did nationalism spread etc) and I'm not very comfortable on 4 (why was unification achieved).. I just don't understand what you're meant to write about really..

To be honest I haven't even looked at any of my work from History yet so I can't even remember the exact topics or issues. Although by tonight I should be able to say a few predictions once I've looked at all my work and the questions that appeared in past papers. I plan on starting to learn the essays tomorrow until Thursday.
Reply 24
Original post by Scrabble96
Is that how useful were the labour reforms? If so, then I would LOVE a question on that! I did how useful we're the liberal reforms in my extended essay, but it came up in last year's paper, so I doubt it will come up 2 years in a row. :frown:

I think so, my NAB question was: To what extent did the Labour Government of 1945-51 deal successfully with the problems facing Britain after war?

In 2010, if I remember correctly, there was a question asking on Liberals and Labour but last year it was just Liberals. My teacher agrees that it will be Labour this year.
Looking for reasons for the liberal reforms (sub-topic 4) it would be brilliant
Reply 26
Original post by Nfergs
I think so, my NAB question was: To what extent did the Labour Government of 1945-51 deal successfully with the problems facing Britain after war?

In 2010, if I remember correctly, there was a question asking on Liberals and Labour but last year it was just Liberals. My teacher agrees that it will be Labour this year.

I hope you're both right! I soooooooo would love a question like that? Has your teacher been right in the past? Haha

The exam changed last year so it's bad to pick out a pattern from the one previous exam paper, this year will really be a shot in the dark as to what to study
Reply 28
Extended response went well. So hopefully i can do well with the exam. We are doing Russia and Britain after the war. I did ok in the essays in the prelim with a 13 and 11 but now im looking for hopefully a 14 and 12-13. I got a C in the prelim because of my paper 2. I didn't study any recall. So i ended up with to 4/5 on the comparison and how useful but on got 3/10 on both how fully and how far questions. Hopefully if i learn recall my mark will go right up. I'm aiming for a C. In practises in class with recall i got it up to 7/10
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
I'm praying that Liberals/Labour comes up, but we got told never ever to do an essay on Suffragettes haha!
Is that British impact on WWI for sources?

I hope i do not have to resort to doing the Suffragettes.. Labour or Liberals would be amazing
What did everyone get told the sub-units were for the British topic?

Yeah it is the sources one
Original post by LiveToSki
I hope i do not have to resort to doing the Suffragettes.. Labour or Liberals would be amazing
What did everyone get told the sub-units were for the British topic?

Yeah it is the sources one

http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files/nq/HistoryHigher.pdf
page 23 :smile:
I'm doing Britain and Germany,and Scottish wars of independence. I'm learning factors/for and against for the two Liberal Essays,Labour and Women,Growth of Nationalism,Obstacles to Unification and the Two Nazi Essays. My teacher said I could get an A but I am actually terrified.
I'm sitting memorising quotes now.. I have 44 to memorise, oh dear..
Reply 33
Why shouldn't you do suffragettes? Should i avoid it? :s-smilie: stressing so much about history!
Original post by BethM917
Why shouldn't you do suffragettes? Should i avoid it? :s-smilie: stressing so much about history!

Noooo I'm not saying you shouldn't do it don't worry! It's just my teacher warned us there is not much analysis and it's difficult to write a whole essay on - plus we didn't spend much time on it, honestly if you can write an essay on it, then do it, I was simply meaning we were directed against it :smile:
Reply 35
I'm doing Russia, Britain and Scottish Independence. Literally didn't do the suffrage or democracy British essays, so it'll be the two Liberal essays and the Labour one for me 8) Hope it's the reasons for the Liberal reforms.

Russia... remembering the 3 essays that didn't appear last year. Confident on the reasons for the 1905 revolution and why the Reds won the civil war, but if it's reasons for the 1917 revolution (I think? The one with the Tsar taking direct control of the army) I will be less happy.

Such a limited scope because I'm also revising for AH biology on the 23rd and I have not left myself an impressive amount of time to do so.
Reply 36
Original post by hollieeilloh
Noooo I'm not saying you shouldn't do it don't worry! It's just my teacher warned us there is not much analysis and it's difficult to write a whole essay on - plus we didn't spend much time on it, honestly if you can write an essay on it, then do it, I was simply meaning we were directed against it :smile:

Oooh! Haha sorry for getting muddled ! Seems like so much to learn for history.. especially stressed about german essays! Hope they're nice to us :')
Reply 37
Essays im learning:
Why liberal reforms were passed
What the liberal reforms were and what they did
How Britain became more democratic

How Nazi's in Germany rose to power.
How Nazi's maintained power.
How the Tsar maintained power in Russia.
Original post by BethM917
Oooh! Haha sorry for getting muddled ! Seems like so much to learn for history.. especially stressed about german essays! Hope they're nice to us :')

No problem :smile:! Oh exactly, I'm getting pretty worried, gonna be cramming after maths.. :frown:

Reply 39
Original post by Armaros
I'm doing Russia, Britain and Scottish Independence. Literally didn't do the suffrage or democracy British essays, so it'll be the two Liberal essays and the Labour one for me 8) Hope it's the reasons for the Liberal reforms.

Russia... remembering the 3 essays that didn't appear last year. Confident on the reasons for the 1905 revolution and why the Reds won the civil war, but if it's reasons for the 1917 revolution (I think? The one with the Tsar taking direct control of the army) I will be less happy.

Such a limited scope because I'm also revising for AH biology on the 23rd and I have not left myself an impressive amount of time to do so.

Yay, I'm hoping for a reasons for te 1905 revolution essay, it's one of the only things in Russia that I can write about!

Quick Reply

Latest