The Student Room Group

The Edexcel M2 (31/05/12 - AM) Revision Thread

So the Mechanics 2 exam is coming up relatively soon and I couldn't find this thread anywhere so i decided to make one. I also have one question, how much of c3 do we need to know for this? Because we haven't actually finished c2 yet. I know about cot, sec and cosec, but that is about as far as my c3 knowledge goes.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just learn all the C3 trig identities. Memorise them.
Going to be be my second time taking this exam.
Reply 3
You will need to know how to differentiate trig functions (C3) and how to integrate trig functions (C4), but presumably you have already gone over how to do this in M2.
Reply 4
How are you all finding M2?

I recommend you try the January 2010 paper - the previous M2 papers have been quite simple, so I wouldn't be surprised if they swing the other way.
Original post by Groat
How are you all finding M2?

I recommend you try the January 2010 paper - the previous M2 papers have been quite simple, so I wouldn't be surprised if they swing the other way.

Oh man, don't remind me of that paper...dear God...it wasn't even difficult, the questions were just misleading/ unexpected (like the moments one...grrrr). I got 54/75, it was horrible.

I think Edexcel would've learnt from that paper - doubt we'll get anything similar (in terms of the wording of questions) coming up. Tbh, M2's really fluky. Like S2, it's more about silly mistakes and accuracy than actual maths (in my opinion, anyway). A fair bit of time till the exam, though, I hope to get through most of the Solomans and past papers by then.

What about you?
I hope Arsey shows up to give model solutions for this paper.
Reply 7
Finally found this thread.

I was wondering, do you guys draw diagrams for every question or only when you feel you need too? I can get away without them for most questions and it saves me a lot of time but I'm more prone to mistakes and I'm not sure if I'll lose marks by not doing so.

Also, the simultaneous equations for collisions are driving me nuts, I keep making tiny mistakes when substituting. So annoying.
Reply 8
Original post by Darkarium
Finally found this thread.

I was wondering, do you guys draw diagrams for every question or only when you feel you need too? I can get away without them for most questions and it saves me a lot of time but I'm more prone to mistakes and I'm not sure if I'll lose marks by not doing so.

Also, the simultaneous equations for collisions are driving me nuts, I keep making tiny mistakes when substituting. So annoying.

I always draw a diagram. It helps me visualise everything. :u:

Do you draw a diagram for the collisions questions? I know it isn't directly going to help your substitutions but a drawing could help!
Reply 9
Original post by Groat
I always draw a diagram. It helps me visualise everything. :u:

Do you draw a diagram for the collisions questions? I know it isn't directly going to help your substitutions but a drawing could help!

Yeah I do always do diagrams for those, helps a lot. I think my main problem is when there's multiple collisions I often get confused with which variables I've assigned to which particles speed on which collision.

Also, just did January 2009 paper. Wow the end part is annoying, only paper I've seen that they ask you to find distances with collisions. Threw me at first.
Has anyone got the Jan 2012 paper? I got 77 in Jan, feel better prepared now, so would quite like to give it another go! :P
Reply 11
Hi guys, How is everyone feeling?
I found the coefficient of restitution questions quite confusing sometimes, the signs drive me mad:s-smilie:
Reply 12
I feel sorry for anyone who didn't get to do this in January, easiest paper of all time!
Damn, I need an easy paper for this, aha.
Reply 14
Is there a M2 solomon paper :/ ?
Reply 15
Original post by vivzcly
Hi guys, How is everyone feeling?
I found the coefficient of restitution questions quite confusing sometimes, the signs drive me mad:s-smilie:

I haven't done this in months! Just finished my other 11 AS papers, so now all I've got M2, C3 and C4 left. So I've got time :smile: Got to work my keyster off, though. This is a difficult unit! :L
This is my last exam before a two week break (and then C3). Kinda stressed about it because of bloody silly mistakes, I'm hoping for, not an easy paper, but an unambiguous paper. Got a fair bit of time to revise for it. I think it'd be really useful if ppl could post up tough questions (from the book and papers etc.).

Btw, anyone else do S2 on Thursday?
What is everyone else doing at the moment to revise for this exam? Is it just past papers?
Reply 18
Original post by Silkysam
You will need to know how to differentiate trig functions (C3) and how to integrate trig functions (C4), but presumably you have already gone over how to do this in M2.

Original post by brittanna
So the Mechanics 2 exam is coming up relatively soon and I couldn't find this thread anywhere so i decided to make one. I also have one question, how much of c3 do we need to know for this? Because we haven't actually finished c2 yet. I know about cot, sec and cosec, but that is about as far as my c3 knowledge goes.

C4 integration isn't required.

I haven't done any past paper of M2(did my exam in june 2011 without practicing any past paper) but i do think that questions involving C3 knowledge might be very rare.

C4 integration will be required in M3 not M2.

Here is an extract from the Edexcel M2 spec:

Original post by raheem94
C4 integration isn't required.

I haven't done any past paper of M2(did my exam in june 2011 without practicing any past paper) but i do think that questions involving C3 knowledge might be very rare.

C4 integration will be required in M3 not M2.

Here is an extract from the Edexcel M2 spec:

So far the only question i've seen that sort of requires C3 knowledge is about the modulus symbol. So do you think i could quite safely assume that there won't be any C3 in it?

Quick Reply