The Student Room Group

AS Grades

Hi,

Would 1 bad AS result affect my chances of going to university, or the number of offers I receive?
Not necessarily. I got an E in my Physics AS and I got 5 offers from my unis for History. However I did get two B's in the other subjects and I have one subject where its all examined at the end.

It really depends on what you get in the other subjects you are doing.

Good Luck :h:
Reply 2
Original post by mahjongmagic
Not necessarily. I got an E in my Physics AS and I got 5 offers from my unis for History. However I did get two B's in the other subjects and I have one subject where its all examined at the end.

It really depends on what you get in the other subjects you are doing.

Good Luck :h:

Cheers :biggrin:
i got BBDE for my as's.. few retakes and not putting it on my ucas form and im now looking at BBBB for my as's, and BBB in A2's as a uni offer :smile:

i would however say that it depends on the subjects you did badly in to a certain extent.. but my d was in the subject im doing at uni (dt) so who knows.. but you dont have to put your as's on ucas unless you are applying to oxbridge or possibly for medicine.. some unis may ask for them.. but none of mine did.. i just selected "results pending" for all of mine. which basically tells the unis that you are re-sitting lol!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by littlemissmidget123
but you dont have to put your as's on ucas unless you are applying to oxbridge or possibly for medicine.. some unis may ask for them.. but none of mine did.. i just selected "results pending" for all of mine. which basically tells the unis that you are re-sitting lol!

In that case, unless you went to one of the few independent schools which does not certificate AS results, you filled in your UCAS form incorrectly.

Applicants MUST include their AS grades (even if they are resitting) and it isn't optional or dependent on the course. It is optional whether you include your UMS scores/unit grades, but you must include the overall AS grade achieved on your UCAS application if you have already taken an exam. If you are resitting you enter it twice, once as the grade you have already achieved and then once again as pending to show that you are resitting.

The only case where this rule does not apply is if you happen to go to one of the very small minority of schools who do not certificate AS results. Due to recent changes in the way league tables work, if schools do not certificate directly after the exam session the grade can not be counted in their results meaning it is within a school's interest to certificate results so that they will appear on league tables.
Original post by oxymoronic
In that case, unless you went to one of the few independent schools which does not certificate AS results, you filled in your UCAS form incorrectly.

Applicants MUST include their AS grades (even if they are resitting) and it isn't optional or dependent on the course. It is optional whether you include your UMS scores/unit grades, but you must include the overall AS grade achieved on your UCAS application if you have already taken an exam. If you are resitting you enter it twice, once as the grade you have already achieved and then once again as pending to show that you are resitting.

The only case where this rule does not apply is if you happen to go to one of the very small minority of schools who do not certificate AS results. Due to recent changes in the way league tables work, if schools do not certificate directly after the exam session the grade can not be counted in their results meaning it is within a school's interest to certificate results so that they will appear on league tables.

well as it happens i do go to one of those independent schools (and have done since recpetion.. with just a 2 year break to live in germany where i did some gcses and IBMYP where our as's aren't certificated until the end... but my school still does will in league tables (but they are pile of crap anyways).. we fail at gcse league tables mind you because we do igcses for maths and english so league tables take that to mean that not one of the pupils can read or write essentially! the neighbouring state school always tends to come out better than us.. which quite frankly is utter rubbish (i had another word here but the admins got to it.. apparently it wasnt allowed..).. i have friends there and they agree! though this year may i say that we have 7 oxbridge applicants, and quite a few who got close :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by littlemissmidget123
well as it happens i do go to one of those independent schools (and have done since recpetion.. with just a 2 year break to live in germany where i did some gcses and IBMYP where our as's aren't certificated until the end... but my school still does will in league tables (but they are pile of crap anyways).. we fail at gcse league tables mind you because we do igcses for maths and english so league tables take that to mean that not one of the pupils can read or write essentially! the neighbouring state school always tends to come out better than us.. which quite frankly is utter ********.. i have friends there and they agree! though this year may i say that we have 7 oxbridge applicants, and quite a few who got close :smile:

Well that's good for your school.... but the point still stands that you can not tell people that they don't have to include their AS grades on their application when in 99% of cases they do have to do so. In terms of league tables, if your school isn't certificating AS grades then they won't be able to use these results in league tables, they will only be able to use the A2 ones each year. This could be why the state school comes out above you because they have to include their AS and A2 results and hence why the majority of independent schools do certificate their results at AS because they need to do well in the league tables and come higher up than well performing state schools.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by oxymoronic
Well that's good for your school.... but the point still stands that you can not tell people that they don't have to include their AS grades on their application when in 99% of cases they do have to do so. In terms of league tables, if your school isn't certificating AS grades then they won't be able to use these results in league tables, they will only be able to use the A2 ones each year. This could be why the state school comes out above you because they have to include their AS and A2 results and hence why the majority of independent schools do certificate their results at AS because they need to do well in the league tables and come higher up than well performing state schools.

no the state school comes out on top because they are all made ot do a load of silly alevels such as general studies and critical thinking which unis dont look at but league tables do.. well we do crit thinking anyways, just not as an alevel.. so it doesnt count.. but reputation counts for a whole lot more than league tables

and check this out http://www.woodbridge.suffolk.sch.uk/senior_school/Academic/SchoolLeagueTables/tabid/463/Default.aspx
I got ACDD for AS. Got offered a masters degree. looking AAB. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. Was predicted ABC though (dropped the AS Physics)

I've done resits, and am sitting on roughly ABBD at AS now. wouldnt worry bout it lol.
Reply 9
I'm in a similar dilemma, I need AAB/pass for Kings chemistry w/biomedicine (2013 undergrad) with the pass being in the AS I'm dropping.. I'm predicted a C in philosophy, and an A in my other 3 (science based / maths ) subjects, but with my past papers for P2 I'm reckoning I'll get an E. Bricking it :/

Quick Reply

Latest