The Student Room Group

Do student nurses ever get time off???

I'm hoping to apply for either a degree in Midwifery or mental health nursing in 2013 but just got a few questions. First of all how much time do student nurses get to themselves? I've looked into it a lot and know how much they have to work and things but do you ever just get days off where you can do things other than study. I'll be living away and I'm just really worried I'll never have the time to go home to visit family and friends or never have time to go out and do things. I'd REALLY appreciate your help!! :smile: xx
Of course you'll have time to go out and do your own thing. Student nurses still have holidays (eg. christmas), it's just that due to the nature of the course student nurses get less time off then people on other courses.
As for visiting friends and family it should be manageable, although I'd expect the further you are from home the more expensive it would be to do this regularly.
You'll get 7 weeks of leave a year as a student, work an average of 37.5 hours a week on placement and probably slightly less when in a teaching block. Most HEIs have rules or at least guidance on how much of your placement time will be nights and weekends.

If your social calendar is the main determining factor in your life, Nursing may not be the career and profession for you

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending