The Student Room Group

Classical Civilisation AS OCR

Hey,

I'm studying The Odyssey for Class Civ AS and I have a question about the commentary questions.

For part a, will we get marked down if we tell the events in a different order? Or does it HAVE to be chroniological?

Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am doing the Odyssey too!
Im not actually sure about that, but I assume if you mean by the question in the context part which is 'what has happened so far?' then it would probably have to be in chronological order?
How much have you revised for the Odyssey exam so far? and what type of revision are you doing?

Also, is your other unit Greek Tragedy in context?

:smile: :smile: :smile:
Hi i am also doing classics (OCR) aslevel,

I assume it probably be best to put it in order although i think it you missed one out or something you can add it in the end? :smile:

What greek tragedy have you learnt?
& for my revision i am re reading the books and writing summaries on flash cards :smile: how about you?
Reply 3
Original post by KellySapphire
Hi i am also doing classics (OCR) aslevel,

I assume it probably be best to put it in order although i think it you missed one out or something you can add it in the end? :smile:

What greek tragedy have you learnt?
& for my revision i am re reading the books and writing summaries on flash cards :smile: how about you?

The Greek Tragedies we are studying are - Medea, Trojan Women, Ajax and Agamemnon. How about yourself? :smile: :smile: :smile:
Yeah, I was doing book summaries for the Odyssey, but I am finding Greek Tragedy really difficult and whenever I attempt to do some, I am plagued by severe procrastination and feel unable to focus on the plays. I really enjoy Medea, but feel slightly disillusioned with Trojan Women and Agamemnon :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Amelie118
The Greek Tragedies we are studying are - Medea, Trojan Women, Ajax and Agamemnon. How about yourself? :smile: :smile: :smile:
Yeah, I was doing book summaries for the Odyssey, but I am finding Greek Tragedy really difficult and whenever I attempt to do some, I am plagued by severe procrastination and feel unable to focus on the plays. I really enjoy Medea, but feel slightly disillusioned with Trojan Women and Agamemnon :frown:

Hi!

I'm doing the same tragedies! Same about Trojan Women and Agamemnon :eek: I'm just re-reading them and thinking about language/themes etc

For the Odyssey I'm doing summaries as well - need to do loads before the exams though - haven't done enough!!
Reply 5
Original post by MirrorPixie
Hi!

I'm doing the same tragedies! Same about Trojan Women and Agamemnon :eek: I'm just re-reading them and thinking about language/themes etc

For the Odyssey I'm doing summaries as well - need to do loads before the exams though - haven't done enough!!

Ok Thanks :smile: There's sooo much to learn for Greek Tragedy :frown: Im finding it really hard! The Odyssey revision is going much better for me, although it is taking me such a long time! I am going to do summaries for the books set by OCR and then thematic links and general knowledge of the rest of the poem. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR EXAM :smile: :smile: :smile:
Original post by Amelie118

Yep the same tragedies, i found trojan women the longest and more boring one out of the four, i guess maybe because it was the last one we learnt i was getting bored of it. Agamemnon, or i call Aggie i liked the most because of it being so crazy and unreal :smile: I was going to write like key quotes from the plays linking them to themes in them and stuff :smile:
Reply 7
For The Odyssey, are you doing themes such as... women, gods, xenia, leadership?
the exams are soooooooooooooo hard though!
How are you meant to remember so much detail for the (a) questions on over half of the book?
I can get an A* in an essay set as homework, but my attempt at a timed exam essay got me a D. FML?
Reply 9
When can we start talking about the exam?
Reply 10
Which tragedy questions did u guys do :smile: ?
Reply 11
I found the timing really horrible!! The questions were great but I just rushed as it got to the end of the paper!
I did Trojan Women and Medea - I'm so annoyed with myself though because I missed out her big speech about the position of women in Episode 1 (even though it was briefly in my plan!) - do you think i'll get marked down significantly for this?
I'm slightly worried. For the 45 marker essay section, I chose the 'Medea' question. We didn't have to talk about 'Trojan Women' as well did we? I only ask because it said about Euripides, so would we have to talk about both plays?
Reply 13
Original post by goodgunnerwenger
I'm slightly worried. For the 45 marker essay section, I chose the 'Medea' question. We didn't have to talk about 'Trojan Women' as well did we? I only ask because it said about Euripides, so would we have to talk about both plays?

I thought this, but I asked my teacher as we came out of the exam and she said we didn't have to!.. I briefly compared Medea to Clytemnestra once but that was it, and they are not even the same playwright (it just fitted really well). The only one where you have to compare two plays was the last essay question, question 5 I think..
Reply 14
It just said refer to "Medea" so it's fine!
Did you write a lot about the speech Medea delivers about the attitudes to women?
Reply 15
Also, what do you think the grade boundaries are going to be like? High?
...it's funny that when I did the exam, 19 people were doing Maths and I'm on my own doing Classics XD

...I picked Trojan Women over Agamemnon, and for the 45 mark, I picked the last question "Greek Tragedy is about death and violence..." There's more points to give there, and I've mentioned all plays (not just two)
Reply 17
Original post by BLu_REdEmTiON
...it's funny that when I did the exam, 19 people were doing Maths and I'm on my own doing Classics XD

...I picked Trojan Women over Agamemnon, and for the 45 mark, I picked the last question "Greek Tragedy is about death and violence..." There's more points to give there, and I've mentioned all plays (not just two)

I picked Trojan Women too - rushed part C though because of time!!
Basically talked about how Hecabe demonstrates sensitivity (understandably) through suffering but how she pities Astynax more rather than herself and that she illustrates a level of power through her temper?! :/

How did you find the exam?
Original post by MirrorPixie
I picked Trojan Women too - rushed part C though because of time!!
Basically talked about how Hecabe demonstrates sensitivity (understandably) through suffering but how she pities Astynax more rather than herself and that she illustrates a level of power through her temper?! :/

How did you find the exam?

...yeah, I build onto Astyanax' death for her theme, then focused on her suffering as she becomes a slave, the death of Trojan men and Troy (literally). I'm quite annoyed that I forgot her daughter's name who died...(but remembered everyone else). I also went through her values of her family, and nurture coz I've felt my time was short (for a paper out of 100, it's a short time), and to add parts 'elsewhere' from the play to build on point.

Forgetting some things definitely cost me. But I only need a 'C' for this, it's the Odyssey and the A2's I have to get good grades on. (Need a 'B' overall, to get into uni).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
I did the Agamemnon then Ajax, but I've never written a classiv answer before so didn't really know what kind of things to mention in either. What did other people write? Hopefully something not too dissimilar!

Quick Reply

Latest