The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by Neofytos
Hah! And u believe in Imperial u will have a better life?? I am rejecting Imperial to go St Andrews cause asked lots of people about both unis. Research a bit before considering anything ..

Exactly.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by henriksebastian
I have JUST firmed for St. Andrews, and youre not saying anything new! We, prospective students, KNOW it is a small place. I come from Lima, a chaotic, dirty and dangerous Latin American capital of 5 million habitants, maybe some change could be good? I want a peaceful place to study, and I can party when I come back here for the holidays, or maybe if I go to London someday, or in Edinbourgh -it isnt that far away!

Hey- well the emphasis of my original post in hindsight is too much on the size of the place and some of the superficial things I don't like...it was more of a rant really and actually to some degree doesn't nail the exact point I wanted to convey- teh size isn't actually all that relevant, yeah its annoying but I could probably have gotten used to it, and even grown to like it it was a fun place- bigger problems for me included the culture of the place and the whole social experience...it is verrrrrry upper middle class and is not exactly a place where peopel mix a lot socially, so the whole 'student experince' in St Andrews just never worked for me, and I think its basically second rate compared to most Unis in that respect...a place can be small and be so sooo much fun, I've been small places before with way less going on than in a city but which had an amazing vibe and were full of down to earth people...St Andrews isn't like that IMO thats the problem, not so much the size, thats one thing but its everything else that bothers me more like how pretentious the place is etc.

Also, just to make somethign clear, Edinburgh is not THAT close, its actually about 2 hours away by bus, and buses only run at set times once an hour until about approx. 8 pm I think. Also, for a student, tickets are £10 or so return which is not ideal for a student budget, so its not like you can just pop over whenever you feel like it, you have to really plan and have money to make a proper visit. You can't just pop off anywhere whenever you're bored, it gets expensive, believe me, I learned the hard way trying to escape at every given oppurtunity!

However from what you've said about wanting a change/ a quieter experience, I'm sure you'll enjoy the change in setting, as St Andrews could not be further culturally from Peru! xxxxxxxxxxxx
Reply 422
It is it just me, or are these posts are getting ridiculously long?

Anyhoot. St Andrews is considered to be the 5th most international University in the world. (I'm not sure how this is calculated though)

Thus, yes, St Andrews is very international, but I do find that most of the international students are of the upper-middle class type - except for those out of the EU. This probably has a lot to do with the fees.

And... I'd write more but my laptop is out of batterryyyy...

I visited twice, fell in love with the place. And then when I actually met people etc my opinion changed. Theres some great people but I can also confirm everything the OP has mentioned. By all means, it is great for some people, but if you play sport... don't go.

I travel a lot with sport and they told me to leave because it is a 'traditional' University and "if you want to play a sport then leave, this is an Academic University and you came here to study".

However, there were also some incredibly supportive staff members that fought my case and I am allowed to stay.

TLDR; if you play sport... don't go!
Just wanted to add my two cents to this post :smile:

I'm not sure what it is about St Andrews, but it never felt the right place for me. I couldn't put my finger on it, but the two times I visited, it just didn't click. I firmed anyway, and after 6 weeks here, I can say that this was probably the biggest mistake I've made in my life so far. I've been miserable almost every second, aside from a good day here and there. I will probably not be returning after the Christmas break. If I do stick around, it'll be to transfer to another University next year.

So, a bit of advice if you're considering St Andrews: if you're not a naturally social person, this isn't the place for you. There is NOTHING to do that isn't social. If you don't want to go out drinking every night of Freshers week, you won't meet anyone, which results in not really having anything more than a couple casual acquaintances by November (this is especially bad in self catered residences). It's a very lonely place, really. Second, if you visit, and it doesn't feel right, go with your instincts. I let my parents influence me too much, and made the 'logical' choice, as opposed to what was probably the right choice for me.

If you do think this is the right place for you, go for it! Lots of people are really happy here, I'm just not one of them. (frankly, I don't know how I've stuck it out this long. I'm seriously considering going home in a few weeks though).
Original post by ElizabethRG

I'm not sure what it is about St Andrews, but it never felt the right place for me. I couldn't put my finger on it, but the two times I visited, it just didn't click. I firmed anyway, and after 6 weeks here, I can say that this was probably the biggest mistake I've made in my life so far. I've been miserable almost every second, aside from a good day here and there. I will probably not be returning after the Christmas break. If I do stick around, it'll be to transfer to another University next year.

So, a bit of advice if you're considering St Andrews: if you're not a naturally social person, this isn't the place for you. There is NOTHING to do that isn't social. If you don't want to go out drinking every night of Freshers week, you won't meet anyone, which results in not really having anything more than a couple casual acquaintances by November (this is especially bad in self catered residences). It's a very lonely place, really. Second, if you visit, and it doesn't feel right, go with your instincts. I let my parents influence me too much, and made the 'logical' choice, as opposed to what was probably the right choice for me.

If you do think this is the right place for you, go for it! Lots of people are really happy here, I'm just not one of them. (frankly, I don't know how I've stuck it out this long. I'm seriously considering going home in a few weeks though).

I've been out drinking a grand total of once (and that wasn't during Fresher's) and I still have plenty of friends (also self-catered) :confused: There's loads to do, if you look for them.

Shame you're having a bad time of it though.
(edited 10 years ago)

Sorry you're not enjoying it at St Andrews, which is fair. It's unfair to say if you don't want to go out drinking every night of Freshers week then you won't meet anyone though as that really isn't true. It makes St Andrews sound as if every single person likes to go out and get drunk, which obviously isn't the case. There's plenty of ways to meet people during freshers that don't involve being drunk or drinking. A lot of hall committees hold events particularly aimed at including everyone where no alcohol is involved, you get to meet people in your kitchen if you're self-catered or sit with people at meal times if you're catered, there are over 150 societies to get involved in which don't revolve around drinking. There's something like 60+ sports clubs to get involved in (even as a beginner) which don't revolve around alcohol. Plus, the union works hard to put on events during Freshers' week aimed at those who don't like the typical "going out and getting drunk" night, such as the comedy night, the ceilidh, live music acts and the a cappella concert.

I'll stop now, as I'm in a "yay, St Andrews" mode now :tongue:
Original post by Ecosse_14
Sorry you're not enjoying it at St Andrews, which is fair. It's unfair to say if you don't want to go out drinking every night of Freshers week then you won't meet anyone though as that really isn't true. It makes St Andrews sound as if every single person likes to go out and get drunk, which obviously isn't the case. There's plenty of ways to meet people during freshers that don't involve being drunk or drinking. A lot of hall committees hold events particularly aimed at including everyone where no alcohol is involved, you get to meet people in your kitchen if you're self-catered or sit with people at meal times if you're catered, there are over 150 societies to get involved in which don't revolve around drinking. There's something like 60+ sports clubs to get involved in (even as a beginner) which don't revolve around alcohol. Plus, the union works hard to put on events during Freshers' week aimed at those who don't like the typical "going out and getting drunk" night, such as the comedy night, the ceilidh, live music acts and the a cappella concert.

I'll stop now, as I'm in a "yay, St Andrews" mode now :tongue:

I am just sharing my experience, and my experience was that if you weren't going out to party and get intoxicated, then you weren't going to make any friends or do much of anything. In my hall, every single event they held involved alcohol. Even the clubs I joined essentially had forced consumption of alcohol to be 'accepted' by the group.

Everyone goes around spouting exactly what you just said, and the fact of the matter is, it isn't true. It's not as good as people try and make it out to be, at least not for some people.
I am just sharing my experience, and my experience was that if you weren't going out to party and get intoxicated, then you weren't going to make any friends or do much of anything. In my hall, every single event they held involved alcohol. Even the clubs I joined essentially had forced consumption of alcohol to be 'accepted' by the group.

Everyone goes around spouting exactly what you just said, and the fact of the matter is, it isn't true. It's not as good as people try and make it out to be, at least not for some people.

If it wasn't true then nobody would say it. All depends on the individual's experience of course though, which I respect :smile:
Original post by Ecosse_14
If it wasn't true then nobody would say it. All depends on the individual's experience of course though, which I respect :smile:

Clearly you don't, or you wouldn't be telling me I was wrong :wink: You're obviously very concerned with protecting the university's image.
Reply 430
I really think that the social side of St.Andrews is pretty good,just to give an insight for the future students who'll read this page.

Okay,I am coming from Istanbul;possibly one of the busiest cities in the world when It comes to night clubs or to the social side.And I am a Londoner who visits London for 19 years non stop and stays there for 2 weeks and try to visit almost everywhere,and yeah I can be described as a city person.When I came to St.Andrews in first 3 weeks everything was tough;since I was new to the societies and I was new to here basically.Besides from staying in DRA which can be one of the nightmares of the town (when you have to leave in 8:40 for a 9:30 class) but still I earned so many friends or lets say met with so many nice people that really helps you;The Design Team,The Saint and The Mermaids.You can help them prepare props,go to their socials and all;the third years are amazed by how many societies that I am in but hey I love it;and every rejection I get from committee applications don't make me sad because I know that I am here for a month no matter what.

I love this small town;a town where you can go to H&M and then go to Boots visit some charity shops and buy some cheap stuff then go to Dr.Noodles Bar to eat a nice warm rice and then head to Tesco to have your shop in 45 minutes.I can also understand how you feel but again there are so many oppurtunities for so many people and there are some really great pubs to spend great time to be honest.
Reply 431
Wow, thanks for this! No, seriously, thanks! This is exactly what I was searching for. I visited St Andrews in October and it seemed to be extremely boring, however, I suppose I could go to Edinburgh every weekend or London every few weeks, so it shouldn't be too bad, and it may be great to study, yet the fact that you have to spend two years doing practically nothing puts me off- what's the point? Especially in a place as boring as that one. I'm not the most going out person but even I am starting to have second thoughts about the uni.
Either way, thanks for the lengthy explanation. It is much appreciated!
Reply 432
Original post by dvm
Wow, thanks for this! No, seriously, thanks! This is exactly what I was searching for. I visited St Andrews in October and it seemed to be extremely boring, however, I suppose I could go to Edinburgh every weekend or London every few weeks, so it shouldn't be too bad, and it may be great to study, yet the fact that you have to spend two years doing practically nothing puts me off- what's the point? Especially in a place as boring as that one. I'm not the most going out person but even I am starting to have second thoughts about the uni.
Either way, thanks for the lengthy explanation. It is much appreciated!

Trust me, you will not be going to Edinburgh every weekend. Once you get here the inertia kicks in.
Reply 433

So true, i actually remember you posting on this forum last year. It sucks you don't like it here. To be honest, it isn't for me either, St Andrews is a nice place to spend a year in but i'd find it difficult if you spent 4. Although i've had an easier time of it being able to find friends who I can relate to. There is always a bit of culture shock when you move to a different country and it is true that social people really flourish in a small town environment like St Andrews. If you really don't like it transfer, good luck to you.
Original post by ukmed108
So true, i actually remember you posting on this forum last year. It sucks you don't like it here. To be honest, it isn't for me either, St Andrews is a nice place to spend a year in but i'd find it difficult if you spent 4. Although i've had an easier time of it being able to find friends who I can relate to. There is always a bit of culture shock when you move to a different country and it is true that social people really flourish in a small town environment like St Andrews. If you really don't like it transfer, good luck to you.

Unfortunately a transfer is impossible, as I don't have the resources to get a reference or anything that I'd need for the UCAS application, which sucks.

It's not so much the culture shock; I grew up in the UK, and even when we moved back to Canada we came back every year or so. It's not that I'm a 'big city' person either; I come from a larger city, but I lived out in the suburbs and rarely actually went into the city part.

Yeah, I don't have any friends here at all and I basically never leave my hall, so it's quite unpleasant here really. It's not unusual for me to go 2-3 days without speaking to anyone. I'm glad that you have people you can relate to.

ElizabethRG, I suspect I actually know who you are, and you saying that all the clubs you joined had "forced consumption of alcohol to be accepted" is not at all true. It'd be a shame if prospective students were misled by you saying that, since many clubs have a relatively mature attitude to this, and let those who want to drink do so, and don't force those who don't want to.
Original post by la_banane_verte
ElizabethRG, I suspect I actually know who you are, and you saying that all the clubs you joined had "forced consumption of alcohol to be accepted" is not at all true. It'd be a shame if prospective students were misled by you saying that, since many clubs have a relatively mature attitude to this, and let those who want to drink do so, and don't force those who don't want to.

That isn't the way it came across to me for the socials and activities of the two main clubs I really wanted to be a part of. Just reading the comments and descriptions of their socials sounded as if there wasn't much of a choice. What's a person to do when everyone around her is drunk? It's not a fun environment to be a part of.

By the way… really creepy much.
That isn't the way it came across to me for the socials and activities of the two main clubs I really wanted to be a part of. Just reading the comments and descriptions of their socials sounded as if there wasn't much of a choice. What's a person to do when everyone around her is drunk? It's not a fun environment to be a part of.

By the way… really creepy much.

I don't see how it's creepy, I happened to read your post in this thread, and your username doesn't really disguise your identity. It's just a coincidence that I happen to go to one of the clubs you joined and I'm also part of this forum.

Having been to social events where many people have been drinking/drunk, but I wasn't drinking (for various reasons), I don't really understand why it's not a "fun environment", I'm interested to hear what it is you don't like about it. I mean, if you don't like drinking games, then I understand that, but drinking =/= drinking games. Maybe if you have more of an open mind about going along to the social events, you might find that you enjoy them, or even that sometimes, no-one actually drinks at them (as happened at the last social I went to for one of my clubs).
Original post by la_banane_verte
I don't see how it's creepy, I happened to read your post in this thread, and your username doesn't really disguise your identity. It's just a coincidence that I happen to go to one of the clubs you joined and I'm also part of this forum.

Having been to social events where many people have been drinking/drunk, but I wasn't drinking (for various reasons), I don't really understand why it's not a "fun environment", I'm interested to hear what it is you don't like about it. I mean, if you don't like drinking games, then I understand that, but drinking =/= drinking games. Maybe if you have more of an open mind about going along to the social events, you might find that you enjoy them, or even that sometimes, no-one actually drinks at them (as happened at the last social I went to for one of my clubs).

Still, creepy.

I'm only a part of two clubs, and I'm assuming you must be one of the gymnastics people (since none of the skaters know about RG). I'm actually not part of that club anymore because the people were such bullies. But I recall under one of the event posts there were a few posts that indicated that drinking was the order of the evening. The same with the other club I'm in. I'm not going to go to a party or event like that only to be miserable and left out because I refuse to participate in drinking or drinking games. I don't like being around people who are intoxicated; it's not a comfortable environment for me, and as such, I avoid it. I'd rather spend my time doing something fun or productive than risk an uncomfortable or unsafe environment. Why go to a party or event just to sit in a corner playing Candy Crush? I'll go to a social event when one, I have friends that are going as well, and two, I'm confident that I will feel safe, secure, and included. I don't think this is unreasonable. Just because you enjoy that kind of environment doesn't mean everyone will.
(edited 10 years ago)
you must be one of the gymnastics people (since none of the skaters know about RG). I'm actually not part of that club anymore because the people were such bullies.

I'm really sorry that you felt this, perhaps you could send me a PM and let me know which behaviours you felt were bullying, as it's certainly not an impression I want anyone to get of the club.

All our social events have quite clearly stated that we were happy for people to choose to drink or not drink as they preferred. I can't help with your prejudice against "intoxicated people" - not everyone behaves the same after having had alcohol. Obviously some people are idiots when they drink, but some are idiots when they don't drink. Had you come to some of the gymnastics events, I would have done my best to have been friendly and inclusive, and probably wouldn't have been drinking either, so you wouldn't have been the only one.

Like I say, I just think it's a shame that you've discounted a big group of people that you have common interests with based on the "drinking". If I can do anything about the bullying situation, please let me know - again, I'm sorry that you've felt like this about some of the people in the club.

Latest

Trending

Trending