The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine MBChB A100 Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3000
Original post by Ruby10
:s-smilie:Why did you Jose Brighton over Liverpool? Can you list pros and cons of each from your perspective. Thank you

Haha I get about 3-4 PM's a week asking me this :P

I'm a bit strapped for time so I won't post rationales but feel free to PM if you have any detailed questions

SO here goes:

BSMS: Pros
- integrated curriculum
- dissections <--STRONG PRO
- patient contact from like the 3rd day or something amazing like that <--STRONG PRO
- opportunity to intercalate
- offered me a scholarship <--STRONG PRO
- newer school/facilities
- strong focus on anatomy teaching (almost too strong according to some students.) Since my undergrad degree is in anatomy, you can see why this is a strong attractor for me. <--STRONG PRO
- small class size, strong instructor:student ratio <--STRONG PRO
- loved the campus, loved speaking to students there who were really happy to have picked BSMS. Met a few students who had picked BSMS over Newcastle, Manchester and Sheffield.
- very close to downtown Brighton (literally 10 minutes away)
- lots of sun, it's a waterfront city, lots of hustle/bustle due to tourists, visitors, etc

BSMS Cons:
- I didn't particularly fall in love with the city, it's a great city but coming from Toronto, it seemed a bit too...rural
- Very expensive
- very high tuition (for internationals)
- not super prestigious (but this doesn't matter to me much now, it used to.
- not super well known (again, I couldn't care less)
- their football team sucks

Liverpool Pros:
- Loved the city, absolutely freaking loved the city
- Loved the campus
- PBL (I am 50/50 on this...the opportunity to do group work is great but I don;t like the idea of not having any structure. I will only do medicine 1 time in my life...I want to start with a strong foundation.)
- Cheaper tuition than BSMS and cheaper to live as well
- well known, established school

Liverpool Cons:
- PBL (for me)
- no scholarships
- my tuition goes up by 6-9% every year. For internationals, this is a big deal
- no scholarships offered
- don't like the non-structured curriculum
- no dissection
- very weak anatomy teaching (this was confirmed by several students as I waited for my interview/along with some students on TSR)
- Larger class size than BSMS
- you're stuck in your PBL groups, so not much opportunity to meet other people in your program/work with them.
- terrible football team :tongue:

Um so there you have it

My main attractors to BSMS were it's curriculum, dissection + anatomy teaching, and the scholarship offer. Both are great schools and I was honoured to have had the opportunity to interview at both. Hope this list helps you and others in your decisions.

Cheers.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3001
Thank you very much for this. You are a real star and will make a wonderful doctor. :smile:
Reply 3002
Firmed Liverpool. Does anyone know what then term length will be for First Year? I understand Medicine is longer (just want to know for Accommodation)

Cheers
Reply 3003
Original post by Jester93
Firmed Liverpool. Does anyone know what then term length will be for First Year? I understand Medicine is longer (just want to know for Accommodation)

Cheers

here's a link to the term dates :smile: http://www.liv.ac.uk/media/livacuk/schoolofmedicine/TermDatesSchoolofMedicin201213FINALJan2012%20.pdf
Hey all!
We've set up a group for the A101 Graduate entry applicants with offers (I can't find a separate thread for us!)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/216075505173176/
Hey all!

We've set up a group for the A101 Graduate entry applicants with offers!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/216075505173176/

:smile:
Reply 3006
Heartfelt thanks to you .exe for not only your last post but for all your previous input on this site which has been second to none. I am leaving the site now and I will miss all of you- you are a terrific bunch of young talented people . Exec you epecially helped keep this mother of a re applicant sane during a very nerve wracking and stressful process! It's amazing to think you are going to be studying with my son who has had no idea his mum has been trawling this and other TRS relevant (medical school ) sites trying to be low key while he kept a calm exterior throughout the entire application period ( probably to protect me!!). You will make an amazing doctor - you are wise beyond your years Your advice, logic and reasoning has been calming, well researched and erudite Good luck to you and everyone else on this site. You are fantastic people who all deserve to achieve their dreams. If you were unsuccessful this time and are really sure you want to study meicine - don't give up.
Reply 3007
Hi. Why have you been banned?
Original post by .eXe
Haha I get about 3-4 PM's a week asking me this :P

I'm a bit strapped for time so I won't post rationales but feel free to PM if you have any detailed questions

SO here goes:

BSMS: Pros
- integrated curriculum
- dissections <--STRONG PRO
- patient contact from like the 3rd day or something amazing like that <--STRONG PRO
- offered me a scholarship <--STRONG PRO
- newer school/facilities
- strong focus on anatomy teaching (almost too strong according to some students.) Since my undergrad degree is in anatomy, you can see why this is a strong attractor for me. <--STRONG PRO
- small class size, strong instructor:student ratio <--STRONG PRO
- loved the campus, loved speaking to students there who were really happy to have picked BSMS. Met a few students who had picked BSMS over Newcastle, Manchester and Sheffield.
- very close to downtown Brighton (literally 10 minutes away)
- lots of sun, it's a waterfront city, lots of hustle/bustle due to tourists, visitors, etc

BSMS Cons:
- I didn't particularly fall in love with the city, it's a great city but coming from Toronto, it seemed a bit too...rural
- Very expensive
- very high tuition (for internationals)
- not super prestigious (but this doesn't matter to me much now, it used to.
- not super well known (again, I couldn't care less)
- their football team sucks

Liverpool Pros:
- Loved the city, absolutely freaking loved the city
- Loved the campus
- PBL (I am 50/50 on this...the opportunity to do group work is great but I don;t like the idea of not having any structure. I will only do medicine 1 time in my life...I want to start with a strong foundation.)
- Cheaper tuition than BSMS and cheaper to live as well
- well known, established school

Liverpool Cons:
- PBL (for me)
- no scholarships
- my tuition goes up by 6-9% every year. For internationals, this is a big deal
- no scholarships offered
- don't like the non-structured curriculum
- no dissection
- very weak anatomy teaching (this was confirmed by several students as I waited for my interview/along with some students on TSR)
- Larger class size than BSMS
- you're stuck in your PBL groups, so not much opportunity to meet other people in your program/work with them.
- terrible football team :tongue:

Um so there you have it

My main attractors to BSMS were it's curriculum, dissection + anatomy teaching, and the scholarship offer. Both are great schools and I was honoured to have had the opportunity to interview at both. Hope this list helps you and others in your decisions.

Cheers.
Reply 3008
Original post by Ruby10
Heartfelt thanks to you .exe for not only your last post but for all your previous input on this site which has been second to none. I am leaving the site now and I will miss all of you- you are a terrific bunch of young talented people . Exec you epecially helped keep this mother of a re applicant sane during a very nerve wracking and stressful process! It's amazing to think you are going to be studying with my son who has had no idea his mum has been trawling this and other TRS relevant (medical school ) sites trying to be low key while he kept a calm exterior throughout the entire application period ( probably to protect me!!). You will make an amazing doctor - you are wise beyond your years Your advice, logic and reasoning has been calming, well researched and erudite Good luck to you and everyone else on this site. You are fantastic people who all deserve to achieve their dreams. If you were unsuccessful this time and are really sure you want to study meicine - don't give up.

Hi Ruby,

Sorry for the delayed response. I had an argument with a mod on the forum and was subsequently banned for a week. I'm glad to have assisted and hope my suggestions have helped your son's decision re: medical school. Thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate them :smile: I look forward to studying with your son in a few months time! All the best and please do feel free to message me should you have any more questions :smile: I'll try my best to help!

Cheers
Reply 3009
Many thanks for explaining where you went! So glad you were only banned for a week. (not a great idea to fall foul of the mods!)
My son really has no idea I have been on this site and i dont think he visits TSR, but many of his reasons ( he is not international) for making his decision mirrored yours. I'm not sure it's healthy for me to keep revisiting TSR - not being a student etc But I probably won't be able to resist taking a peek from time to time!
Let me know if you discover who my son is.... He will probably be mortified to know his mum has been on the site so I can't identify him!
Good luck and all the best. Bye!
Original post by planetconwy1
If you have firmed Liverpool for A100 or A101 or already have an Unconditional for either, then there is only one website you need to know about:

Our Brand New LMSS website can be found at www.lmssonline.co.uk

You can also follow us on our new twitter account for regular updates about everything! https://twitter.com/lmssonline

See all you lovely people in September!!

Tom
LMSS Webmaster 2012-13

Cheers for that, how good is the football team? Would a slightly-below-average player get in? haa
I was just looking at some of the first year modules (yes i'm that bored) do you know if they change much year on year?
Reply 3012
Original post by gloriousballs
I was just looking at some of the first year modules (yes i'm that bored) do you know if they change much year on year?

do you have a link to any past papers that i could have a look at? :smile:
Reply 3013
Original post by Obadetona
Cheers for that, how good is the football team? Would a slightly-below-average player get in? haa

There are 3 teams. The "first" team which isn't the actual medical schools first team, it has the best players from the students teams and then doctors who went to liverpool. The second team which is really the first team and then the third team which really the second team, very confusing i know! All the teams are quite good but definitely get down to a thirds training on fridays, its all light hearted!
Reply 3014
Original post by ribena-93
Hey, this is a question for students currently at the medical school.

Are there books that the university suggests to study from for exams and also is preparing for exams much more difficult than how we would be preparing for our A levels right now?

Thanks!

All you need for first year;
1) TORTORA/MARTINI (Anatomy and Physiology)
2) Psychology and Sociology Applied to Medicine (IGS)
3) Law Express: Medical Law (PPD)
4) Medical Statistics made easy (PP)

And MAKE SURE you ask someone from an older year for the CORE NOTES for IGS,PP and PPD. All you need to know for these three topics are found in the core notes.

The exams are harder than a levels, but would be surprising if they weren't!
Also i will be mentoring a lucky few of you next year too!
(edited 11 years ago)
So who's feeling confident after CHEM 5?
Reply 3016
Original post by TheBigDog
So who's feeling confident after CHEM 5?

i was on edexcel and am certain i'll be eating my words but think it went well, you? :smile:
Original post by gina3706
i was on edexcel and am certain i'll be eating my words but think it went well, you? :smile:

Well I was on aqa with the impossible question which i wasted loads of time on. Have you not heard about it?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2162444/Students-furious-exam-board-putting-impossible-question-chemistry-paper.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Have a really bad feeling we won't be meeting in Liverpool in September!
Reply 3018
Original post by TheBigDog
Well I was on aqa with the impossible question which i wasted loads of time on. Have you not heard about it?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2162444/Students-furious-exam-board-putting-impossible-question-chemistry-paper.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Have a really bad feeling we won't be meeting in Liverpool in September!

yeah I heard a lot of complaints from people on the facebook group, they will lower the grade boundaries for an A on that paper considering the fuss, did unit 4 go well for you? best of luck for results day, i'm sure i'll see you on freshers week :biggrin:
Hey, I'm now a third year at liverpool and feel that you lot would probably benefit from a book recommendation.

It's called How to Read a Paper: The Basics of Evidence-Based Medicine by Trisha Greenhalgh

Sections 1, 3 and 5 which aren't that long will help you fly through 'PP' (one of the four themes) and the other sections will help with your SSM (special study module).

Here is a link to a pdf of the bookhttp://www.fk.unair.ac.id/pdfiles/ebook/How%20to%20Read%20a%20Paper.pdf

Good luck with your results!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending