The Student Room Group

Pls help me!I've no time and I've to decide :confused:

Hello,everyone!

I am really confused about the decision I have to make and I hope that someone will give me a good piece of advice. Please help me!

The situation:
I am a prospective postgraduate student who is not from UK because of that I am not able to make a right assessement of which university is the most reputable. Moreover, I'd like to gain not only theoretical knowledge but also practical..It's essential for me.

The dilemma:
I have received offers from- University of Leeds (Accounting&Finance) 9000 pounds, University of Glasgow 13 750 pounds(International Financial Analysis) and University of Edinburgh ~17 000 pounds(Accounting&Finance).

Which uni I have to choose? Is it true that it is very hard for foreigners to get used to understanding Scotish English?

Thank you very much in advance!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by titipam
Hello,everyone!

I am really confused about the decision I have to make and I hope that someone will give me a good piece of advice. Please help me!

The situation:
I am a prospective postgraduate student who is not from UK because of that I am not able to make a right assessement of which university is the most reputable. Moreover, I'd like to gain not only theoretical knowledge but also practical..It's essential for me.

The dilemma:
I have received offers from- University of Leeds (Accounting&Finance) 9000 pounds, University of Glasgow 13 750 pounds(International Financial Analysis) and University of Edinburgh ~17 000 pounds(Accounting&Finance).

Which uni I have to choose? Is it true that it is very hard for foreigners to get used to understanding Scotish English?

I am studying at The University of Edinburgh. Scottish English is not at all difficult to understand. It takes a 2-3 days to get adjusted to the accent, you will be fine then on. All the three universities you listed are good, but you should decide what you want to do after you finish the degree. So it is better to do a little bit of research of job prospectus at each of this cities like read company profiles and so on.
Reply 2
Thanks a lot for the prompt reply!

I've already done some researches and both Leeds and Edinburgh offer a good prospects because they are leading financial centres. On the other hand, Glasgow is much larger than the others which is a plus when I'll look for a job. Furthermore, there are offices of the biggest auditing companies as Deloitte, Ernst&Young, etc. in all of them..Probably only person who is live in UK could tell me which city offers better opportunities, I cannot make a choice..

As your are studying at Edinburgh could you tell me if it's worth it because the fee is double. I mean if the quality of education is so high (espesially in Accounting&Finance) and what is the employers' opinion? I've read many rankings but they confuse me more :frown:. Is it the same which uni (Edinb.,Glasgow or Leeds) I'll write down in my CV?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by titipam

I've already done some researches and both Leeds and Edinburgh offer a good prospects because they are leading financial centres. On the other hand, Glasgow is much larger than the others which is a plus when I'll look for a job. Furthermore, there are offices of the biggest auditing companies as Deloitte, Ernst&Young, etc. in all of them..Probably only person who is live in UK could tell me which city offers better opportunities, I cannot make a choice..

As your are studying at Edinburgh could you tell me if it's worth it because the fee is double. I mean if the quality of education is so high (espesially in Accounting&Finance) and what is the employers' opinion? I've read many rankings but they confuse me more :frown:. Is it the same which uni (Edinb.,Glasgow or Leeds) I'll write down in my CV?

I love my program at Edinburgh and its worth. The quality of education is definitely high and competition is high too. Although I am not from your field, I do read and hear reviews that many students find jobs across UK. The advantage of Glasgow I feel is that its in a city with companies spread across, which can give you a start for looking at jobs.
Reply 4

As your are studying at Edinburgh could you tell me if it's worth it because the fee is double. I mean if the quality of education is so high and what is the employers' opinion? Is it the same which uni (Edinb.,Glasgow or Leeds) I'll write down in my CV?
Reply 5
You really help me, thank you!
Do you have any opinion about Leeds? I like it because it is near to London and it is in England..but I am not sure that the uni is on a level with the others.
The Leeds accent and English is probably worse than the Scottish one...
Reply 7
I have no idea...I'll think about this...Thank you!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by titipam
You really help me, thank you!
Do you have any opinion about Leeds? I like it because it is near to London and it is in England..but I am not sure that the uni is on a level with the others.

I know nothing about Leeds. If you are interested in being close to London why don't you apply to LSE or UCL as well.
Reply 9
Original post by titipam
Hello,everyone!

The situation:

The dilemma:

Hi, I am going for my MSc to St Andrews and did a lot of research on Economics/Business related degrees. I would say that from the options you have I would, without a doubt, go for Ed, more over if you are not from the UK and may want to work back home or else where. Ed repute in Maths and Stats is outstanding which has spillover effects on courses such as yours.

Without hesitation I would recomend Ed.
Reply 10
Hi, Valyam!

I also have an offer from St.Andrews but I decided that it's not my place.
I have read many comments in forums and most of people share your opinion. I certainly will choose Ed.
Thanks!
Reply 11
Leeds is near to London?...lol
Reply 12
If you want to become an auditor, working for pwc,kpmg for example them choose the university which gives tou the max exemptions for the professional qualifications (ACCA).

Good luck
Original post by titipam
Hello,everyone!

The situation:

The dilemma:

hey there..scottish english isnt even a thing...scottish people speak english...i would go for edinburgh..seems to be good if you dont come from here. its a nice place and its one of the best unis in britain :biggrin: glasgow is good too but if i didnt come from glasgow i wouldnt want to live here :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by titipam
Hello,everyone!

The situation:

The dilemma:

International student?....go to Edinburgh, few people really know Leeds or Glasgow outside UK.

Quick Reply

Latest