The Student Room Group

Choosing between Glasgow School of Art, Dundee and Strathclyde for architecture

Hello,
I've got offers from Strathclyde, Dundee and unconditional offer from Glasgow School of Art. I started thinking about which uni I shall put as my firm and insurance choice.

Dundee (it takes 18th place) is ranked higher in studying architecture than Glasgow School of Art(23) but the latter is more globally recognised (top 60 uni in the world) plus it is a beautiful and historical city that I quite like. What do you think about Strathclyde for architecture?

Could you all give me some advice please? Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Dundee is a shthole
the city
Reply 3
I think that GSA should be your main option and you should be happy to have unconditional offer. Strathclyde > Dundee for me.
Reply 4
Original post by theonelink
Dundee is a shthole

what do you mean?:smile:
Strathclyde as a uni is pretty good. However the architecture building is horrible, which I find quite funny. However even though I feel like I'm cheating on my uni I'd say go for GSA my cousin did architecture there and I think it's pretty highly recommended. :smile:
Original post by juste_j
what do you mean?:smile:

The city is not very nice... the studios at the school are nice remember I had an interview there but the city no... just no
Reply 7
And how do you compare Strathclyde and Dundee in terms of level of education?
I have heard that architecture in Dundee is more devoted to art, humanities... and Strathclyde is much more technical. Is that true?

I am transferring from the University in Poland with advanced second year entry and I have no idea what to choose. I have also a friend of mine studying in Dundee, which have told me a little bit about the course there, and I am a little bit worried about lack of technical subjects like f.e. building engineering.

What would you advice?
Reply 8
Anyone?
Reply 9
I've got the same problem...kind of....
I'm deciding between Strathclyde and Dundee for Architecture and i don't really have anything to base my decision on :s
Reply 10
I'd personally say stay away from Strathclyde just now. Apparently they aren't being given sufficient funding from the university, I know a guy out on his year's placement after third year just now and he says his full year got pulled in for a meeting where they were told they might have to end up being part time tutors for the undergraduate department. There's also whispers of the department being shut down in the near distant future, and there have been a few tutors (one that I personally know) cross the divide from Strathclyde to GSA in the past twelve months.

I actually study architecture at GSA and personally recommend it highly to anyone wanting to study there, not intending to scare monger or be biased towards GSA either, just trying to warn people against making a decision they may regret in 2/3 years time.

http://www.urbanrealm.com/news/3372/Cutbacks_stoke_Strathclyde_architecture_tuition_fears.html
Reply 11
Thanks for your replay.
You really scared me now. I have already put Strathclyde as my firm choice so I will probably study architecture there. However I still must pass IELTS so nothing is sure yet. I was convinced that I have made a good choice placing Strathclyde upon Dundee (especially for its technical background) and now I have doubts. But really, it can't just be so wrong. That department is still one of the best in ranks, what is more, it has become better and better through last years. Is there anyone studying at Starthclyde already who can write some words what is happening there?
I don't know what to do. Should I talk with them to reject me and then go to Dundee (insurance)? Please, give some advide.
Reply 12
The new aj100 has just come out this week and GSA is ranked 2nd alongside Sheffield.
Reply 13
Original post by Meh_
The new aj100 has just come out this week and GSA is ranked 2nd alongside Sheffield.

link please?
hello ı am planning to study architecture this fall. She cannot decide between school of architecture, University of Glasgow and RICE university, Texas, USA. Do you have any comments to help us for the decision?
Original post by wattywatty
I'd personally say stay away from Strathclyde just now. Apparently they aren't being given sufficient funding from the university, I know a guy out on his year's placement after third year just now and he says his full year got pulled in for a meeting where they were told they might have to end up being part time tutors for the undergraduate department. There's also whispers of the department being shut down in the near distant future, and there have been a few tutors (one that I personally know) cross the divide from Strathclyde to GSA in the past twelve months.

I actually study architecture at GSA and personally recommend it highly to anyone wanting to study there, not intending to scare monger or be biased towards GSA either, just trying to warn people against making a decision they may regret in 2/3 years time.

http://www.urbanrealm.com/news/3372/Cutbacks_stoke_Strathclyde_architecture_tuition_fears.html

I want to firm GSA but didn't see any machines in my visit.
Do you mind if I ask if there's sufficient machines for students? Such as woodwork studio, laser cutter, etc
Reply 17
I would not recommend Strathclyde uni especially the architecture course to anyone. If you are international student this faculty is worst. when you are applying the staff pretend to be very caring and answers emails quickly and efficiently, from the time you got it in the whole attitude change. They barely care. It is very hard to communicate with them and the way they mark assignments are very weird, you don't have the right to say anything The library is **** and they lack resources. I know people studying at GSA and i think it much better. Definitely not Strathclyde.
Reply 18
Hi I have received offers from GSA, Strathclyde and Dundee for Architecture. I am looking towards Strathclyde as I have heard it is one of the top universities for Architecture. After reading the comments I am so confused. I am from Perth so I don't know much about the universities in Glasgow. Does anyone know if GSA HAS A HIGHER RANKING THAN Strathclyde. Please HELP!!!!!!
Original post by Maleyha
Hi I have received offers from GSA, Strathclyde and Dundee for Architecture. I am looking towards Strathclyde as I have heard it is one of the top universities for Architecture. After reading the comments I am so confused. I am from Perth so I don't know much about the universities in Glasgow. Does anyone know if GSA HAS A HIGHER RANKING THAN Strathclyde. Please HELP!!!!!!

Aye mate I'm from Sydney how are ya. I'm going to do architecture in Strathclyde too in 2017. I got an offer from GSA but I chose to go Strathclyde. I did heaps of research online and both of them really go neck and neck, it's so hard to choose. I went to Glasgow to have a look at the campuses which helped me to make my decision. GSA at the time was under renovation but from what I saw it was only one building and not part of a campus, plus the area looks really dodgy, especially at night. The Strathclyde architecture building is part of a campus and it's pretty big, the studios looks alright as well, and the uni is in a pretty safe location so I went with Strathclyde. These only threads and reviews really scared me though saying Strathclyde is poop, but student surveys said the uni is ****en great so..... see u there mate. Cheers.

Quick Reply