Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Postgraduates 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by CNUkid
And would this be from your degree program or one of the colleges? Sorry, my cognitive abilities are a bit below par today. :-p

hah that's alright! I should introduce myself, I'm an international student and I'm guessing that should add to the process time. I applied for a PhD in English. I forgot to enter the college :/ suppose I'll apply for a college when I do get accepted.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 141
Original post by wholemeal
hah that's alright! I should introduce myself, I'm an international student and I'm guessing that should add to the process time. I applied for a PhD in English. I forgot to enter the college :/ suppose I'll apply for a college when I do get accepted.

Oh no worries. Yeah being international might add to the process time, especially if they need to convert your grades and previous degrees to whatever scale they use for comparison. I'm international too, so a lot of the application process is beyond me past the "accepted or rejected" phase. And yeah, they'll just ask you to fill out a college membership form later on.
Reply 142
Original post by CNUkid
Oh no worries. Yeah being international might add to the process time, especially if they need to convert your grades and previous degrees to whatever scale they use for comparison. I'm international too, so a lot of the application process is beyond me past the "accepted or rejected" phase. And yeah, they'll just ask you to fill out a college membership form later on.

Thanks for the info! Geez, the wait is exasperating! Doesn't the term start Sept 1st, that's pretty soon if you think about it with all the admin and visa stuff to work out.

:redface:
Hi all,

I'm in the second year of my PhD at Durham (based in Archaeology), so I'll happily field any questions on the PG experience or anything. I'm based in the College of St. Hild and St. Bede (which I'd strongly recommend, we have the largest and most vibrant PG community outside of Ustinov) but have obviously been to the other colleges so can probably help out with any queries about them or life in general at Durham...
Original post by CNUkid
Congratulations!! Welcome aboard to the thread. :smile:

Thank you! Feels so good to be here haha. I know i'm probably a bit late but what is everyone doing? Have you all got accommodation sorted?
Original post by writergirl
Received my offer this week.

MA in Literary Studies (Honing in on Poetry Studies)

College: Applied for University, awaiting to hear where I've been allocated.

Excited: Very much so!!

:smile:

Hey! Congrats, it's nice to see someone else with an offers for MA English Lit. Studies :smile: What sort of modules are you interested in? And what uni have you come from, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Original post by Studentiality
Hey! Congrats, it's nice to see someone else with an offers for MA English Lit. Studies :smile: What sort of modules are you interested in? And what uni have you come from, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Thank you, and congratulations to you too! Victorian Women in painting and poetry, Romantic forms of grief, Modern poetry is all my kind of thing, what about yourself? I am graduating from the University of Liverpool this summer, you? :smile:
Thank you, and congratulations to you too! Victorian Women in painting and poetry, Romantic forms of grief, Modern poetry is all my kind of thing, what about yourself? I am graduating from the University of Liverpool this summer, you? :smile:

Ahh wicked, I'm at Birmingham at the mo - so Durham is literally miles away eep! I'm very excited tho! I'm really interested in the Victorian Women module too, and prob other Victorian modules, will need to look into this a bit more tho! Are you looking at doing a PhD? I'm worried that I'm like the only one who isn't interested in doing one haha. You looked into colleges yet/applied?
Ahh wicked, I'm at Birmingham at the mo - so Durham is literally miles away eep! I'm very excited tho! I'm really interested in the Victorian Women module too, and prob other Victorian modules, will need to look into this a bit more tho! Are you looking at doing a PhD? I'm worried that I'm like the only one who isn't interested in doing one haha. You looked into colleges yet/applied?

Oh nice! Have you enjoyed Birmingham? Durham is so far haha, I'm originally from Essex and have already had the 'we're not driving you there and back' talk from the parents. Victorian is always a favourite, nice choice! To be honest I'm not going with a set PHD in mind, in my head it is just an MA and one year of further study, currently am not thinking of PHD so you're not alone haha. I have looked, I love the look of University College but not sure how to apply for them? I can't find the online application form anywhere?
Reply 149
Original post by wholemeal
Thanks for the info! Geez, the wait is exasperating! Doesn't the term start Sept 1st, that's pretty soon if you think about it with all the admin and visa stuff to work out.

:redface:

Perhaps the start date is different for certain programs? I'm not entirely sure, but most seem to start towards the end of October. Yeah it is pretty soon, but apparently you can only apply for your visa 90 days before you leave. Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 150
Original post by CNUkid
Perhaps the start date is different for certain programs? I'm not entirely sure, but most seem to start towards the end of October. Yeah it is pretty soon, but apparently you can only apply for your visa 90 days before you leave. Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

My start date is October 1. Each person's department should be able to shed more light on the situation. :smile:
Reply 151
Original post by CNUkid

i'm from singapore, yea the application procedures are really different here. i read some other threads where people waited for 2 months or more for an application reply :s-smilie: that's long! but i suppose for a pHd there isnt an actual fixed commencement date
Reply 152
Original post by William Wright
Hi all,

I'm in the second year of my PhD at Durham (based in Archaeology), so I'll happily field any questions on the PG experience or anything. I'm based in the College of St. Hild and St. Bede (which I'd strongly recommend, we have the largest and most vibrant PG community outside of Ustinov) but have obviously been to the other colleges so can probably help out with any queries about them or life in general at Durham...

Hi William,

I wondered if you could tell me a bit about what the postgraduate accommodation is like at St. Hilde and St. Bede? I will be commencing study for a masters in Translation this October and have been accepted at Hilde Bede but have not yet had the chance to visit the PG accommodation. I have looked on the college map, and the Belvedere PG blocks look quite far up the hill?! How have you found PG life at the college so far? Any info or advice would be much appreciated!

Holly : )
Hi everyone! I just thought I'd pop in and say hello to fellow postgrads with their eyes on Durham. Congratulations to everyone with offers!

I've just sent the email accepting my offer.
Program: MA Philosophy
College: No idea! I liked the look of Trevs when I applied for undergrad, so maybe there!

I really like the course and I think I'd absolutely love it, but I'm not sure how/if I'll be able to afford it. I was late sending off masters applications because I wasn't sure I wanted further study, so I was too late to apply for scholarships and other funding. I was looking at a CDL, but I'm terrified I'll come out the other end jobless with no way to pay for a massive loan. :frown:
Oh nice! Have you enjoyed Birmingham? Durham is so far haha, I'm originally from Essex and have already had the 'we're not driving you there and back' talk from the parents. Victorian is always a favourite, nice choice! To be honest I'm not going with a set PHD in mind, in my head it is just an MA and one year of further study, currently am not thinking of PHD so you're not alone haha. I have looked, I love the look of University College but not sure how to apply for them? I can't find the online application form anywhere?

Yeah have loved being at Brum, but really excited about Durham as the two seem poles apart! How have you found Liverpool? Wow Essex is so far away then haha! Ah ok that's cool :smile: Yeah, I also can't really decide what I want to do so figured buying myself an extra year with more qualifications can't really be a bad thing - hopefully will find something straight after to tackle the huge debt I will have built up though haha! No, I've been looking for info about the colleges etc and can't find anything either!? I'll probs have another look and email them if I cant find anything...
Can anyone fill me in on a bit of info as to what to do now...
I've sent off my acceptance email and they said they are waiting on me getting my degree classification now. When I applied I put down Ustinov I THINK as I didn't really have time to look at all the colleges properly. However, I don't really want to go to that college primarily any more. Will I get chance to change this? If someone could tell me a little more about the process I'd be very grateful :smile:
Wee question....I don't ever remember choosing a college and I've received a response to my acceptance, just stating that they await confirmation of meeting my conditions. Should I have picked a college by now? I applied fairly late (around late March/early April) so is it possible they'll just send me to an under-subscribed college?
Reply 157
Can anyone fill me in on a bit of info as to what to do now...
I've sent off my acceptance email and they said they are waiting on me getting my degree classification now. When I applied I put down Ustinov I THINK as I didn't really have time to look at all the colleges properly. However, I don't really want to go to that college primarily any more. Will I get chance to change this? If someone could tell me a little more about the process I'd be very grateful :smile:

Yes! Don't worry. That's just for numbers, I think. You'll be sent a link to apply for colleges soon - separately from your application. I put down Ustinov as my first choice through my initial application, but then officially applied to Chad's and got in there, instead. No worries - you're not locked in. What else would you like to know? I'm done the process, pretty much. :smile: Happy to answer questions.

Original post by chester.
Wee question....I don't ever remember choosing a college and I've received a response to my acceptance, just stating that they await confirmation of meeting my conditions. Should I have picked a college by now? I applied fairly late (around late March/early April) so is it possible they'll just send me to an under-subscribed college?

It's possible. You'd have heard by now, I think, if that's what they were going to do. I would recommend contacting PG admissions and asking. They're pretty good at getting back to you promptly.

Original post by William Wright
Hi all,

Hi! I'm an incoming MSc student in for Palaeopathology. I was just wondering how big the Archaeology Dept is, and how involved people are socially? I'm used to a relatively warm environment, and I hope that I'm going to find that there when I arrive. I know my specific program me isn't very big, but hopefully there's some intermingling? I'm at St. Chad's - hopefully that's a decent college for PG, though I know it's very small?
Original post by Hollyc24
Hi William,

I wondered if you could tell me a bit about what the postgraduate accommodation is like at St. Hilde and St. Bede? I will be commencing study for a masters in Translation this October and have been accepted at Hilde Bede but have not yet had the chance to visit the PG accommodation. I have looked on the college map, and the Belvedere PG blocks look quite far up the hill?! How have you found PG life at the college so far? Any info or advice would be much appreciated!

Holly : )

Hi Holly. Belvedere is a little bit up the hill from College - I won't lie, it's a steep one. It's not far from College at all though, and you don't really feel disconnected from College life. Belvedere is quite nice though, it's all PG and you'll get to know people quickly, and there are no undergrads there so you can avoid some of the chaos they bring. There is also PG accomodation you could be put in at Thorp or Lawrence, which are more in the heart of College, with all the pros and cons that brings.

In general the PG community is thriving in Hild Bede nowadays, you'll find a good social life in College.

Hi! I'm an incoming MSc student in for Palaeopathology. I was just wondering how big the Archaeology Dept is, and how involved people are socially? I'm used to a relatively warm environment, and I hope that I'm going to find that there when I arrive. I know my specific program me isn't very big, but hopefully there's some intermingling? I'm at St. Chad's - hopefully that's a decent college for PG, though I know it's very small?

Hello! I'm part of the Palaeopathology/Bioarchaeology research group in the department so our paths will almost certainly cross at some point. The Archaeology department is pretty large, there's probably somewhere around 150 PGs including both the masters students and the PhDs, and people do generally intermingle. People go for drinks most Fridays at the Vic pub too, so socially the department is strong too. Afraid I don't know all too much about Chad's... their bar is quite nice.
Seeing all these posts is making me even more excited for next academic year. Officially sent off my accommodation form...getting there slowly but surely. What stage is everyone else at? What is everyone studying? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest