The Student Room Group

[DELETED]

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
It all depends on what subjects you do. I do English Lit - I've had 2 exams in it this year, one in January and one today. The other modules I've had have been assessed by essays. Next year all of my modules are coursework only because of the format of the modules - it's much easier to assess the wider reading and analysis and the writing skills you gain through an essay than a time-restricted exam. Humanities subjects are more likely to have coursework>exams, but you probably won't escape them entirely.
Original post by -aimz
It all depends on what subjects you do. I do English Lit - I've had 2 exams in it this year, one in January and one today. The other modules I've had have been assessed by essays. Next year all of my modules are coursework only because of the format of the modules - it's much easier to assess the wider reading and analysis and the writing skills you gain through an essay than a time-restricted exam. Humanities subjects are more likely to have coursework>exams, but you probably won't escape them entirely.

What uni is this? Do you know if English Language there is studied in the same manner? Thank you for your help! :smile:
Of course they do! My fiance studies Media Production at the University of Lincoln, and it's 100% coursework.

It all depends on what courses you're interested in though, some are impossble to have no exams for, and some only have very few.
Original post by lozzyhickers
Of course they do! My fiance studies Media Production at the University of Lincoln, and it's 100% coursework.

It all depends on what courses you're interested in though, some are impossble to have no exams for, and some only have very few.

At this point, I am prepared to study anything in order to get out of them. (Also, congratulations! :dancing:) Any help on any courses even with a small amount of exams as opposed to none would be appreciated.
Reply 5
I just wondered if an exam question is given to you as a piece of coursework are you able to answer it? Is it a time related comprehension issue? The problem with being good at coursework is that if you do have a problem with exams, it can be harder to learn techniques to improve your performance in exams. It is possible that being tested might reveal what aspect of exams causes your performance issues. I know people who in similar circumstances, brilliant at coursework and scraping exam passes, who after having their particular learning difficulty identified, have been able to overcome it under exam conditions.

It could be risky selecting a course on the basis that it currently doesn't have exams. As a lecturer change on a module could lead to an exam element being introduced. I have had lecturers modify the coursework element of a module to a timed test.
Reply 6
Original post by faithinthesurgeon
What uni is this? Do you know if English Language there is studied in the same manner? Thank you for your help! :smile:

Cardiff University, first year :smile: I know a couple of people who do English Language and I think they've had exams instead of coursework for their modules, but I could be wrong!
Reply 7
I do Fine art + English Lit and I don't have exams.
Reply 8
I'm glad it isn't just me....I hate exams.
Reply 9
My friend does Art at Middlesex and has no exams.

Quick Reply