University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester 2012 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Original post by TonyH663
I have 4 altogether; 1 history, 1 business and 2 product design. Not bad I suppose, I know people with 10+ so I should be alrrightt

yeah i know, so many people in my year are retaking their retakes as well the Jan modules went that badly
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by MalibuSwitch
Got an offer for Politics!!! Anyone else?

I think the first yr halls look awesome! :biggrin:

I'm doing IR :smile: So i'll probably be in some of your lectures!
does anyone think Leicester will come into clearing this yr, for the llb law course?

(I didnt apply to Leicester originally, something I regret now :frown:)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 563
Original post by driftingaway
does anyone think Leicester will come into clearing this yr, for the llb law course?

(I didnt apply to Leicester originally, something I regret now :frown:)

I went through clearing last year and Leicester was pretty much full i'm afraid :frown:

The only courses that had clearing spaces were some Sociology and Media courses. This was based on last year so don't take my word fully!
Original post by Wreemo
I went through clearing last year and Leicester was pretty much full i'm afraid :frown:

The only courses that had clearing spaces were some Sociology and Media courses. This was based on last year so don't take my word fully!

i was checking out some previous TSR threads and apparently, Leicester was in clearing for law last yr?

Sorry to hear about your experience. I already have a firm and insurance-- but i regret not applying to Leicester. I was hoping maybe id get onto the course through clearing this yr.

(I think ill end up with a*abc)
Reply 565
i was checking out some previous TSR threads and apparently, Leicester was in clearing for law last yr?

Sorry to hear about your experience. I already have a firm and insurance-- but i regret not applying to Leicester. I was hoping maybe id get onto the course through clearing this yr.

(I think ill end up with a*abc)

Really for law? I was expecting that kind of subject to be full as loads of people apply for Law everywhere!

Yeah my experience wasn't exactly the best last year, long story short I ended up taking the year out, hopefully going to Leicester this year :biggrin:

How come you regret not choosing Leicester? Change of mind or something?
I am at De Montfort uni, just coming to the end of my 2nd year and have loved it totally. As soon as I visited DMU I just knew I wanted to come here. Had a great 1st year in halls, really was fun lol :-)

Be it DMU or Uni of Leicester, it is a great city to be at uni in! xx
Original post by Wreemo
Really for law? I was expecting that kind of subject to be full as loads of people apply for Law everywhere!

Yeah my experience wasn't exactly the best last year, long story short I ended up taking the year out, hopefully going to Leicester this year :biggrin:

How come you regret not choosing Leicester? Change of mind or something?

(Im a gappie too!)

Its competitive, but last yr there were some decent law schools in clearing too. Including Leicester, atleast that is what that TSR thread says.

I put in Liverpool as a 5th choice (and got an offer from there too) but decided against going there.

lol, to be honest, it was never even on my radar. I dont know if I want to go to my insurance (kent) so I carried out some further research on law school's and realised I'd never even considered Leicester as a choice (despite the law school's impressive ranking and reputation).
Reply 568
(Im a gappie too!)

Its competitive, but last yr there were some decent law schools in clearing too. Including Leicester, atleast that is what that TSR thread says.

I put in Liverpool as a 5th choice (and got an offer from there too) but decided against going there.

lol, to be honest, it was never even on my radar. I dont know if I want to go to my insurance (kent) so I carried out some further research on law school's and realised I'd never even considered Leicester as a choice (despite the law school's impressive ranking and reputation).

(Yayyyy i'm not alone! Scarily same positions?!)

I did the same but with Birmingham City Uni (BCU) as a 5th choice, visited a clearing open day and utterly despised it so I took the year out.

Ah that sucks :frown: Always best to do research and consider every place with a subject like law, as you say very competitive! What's your firm?
Original post by Wreemo
(Yayyyy i'm not alone! Scarily same positions?!)

I did the same but with Birmingham City Uni (BCU) as a 5th choice, visited a clearing open day and utterly despised it so I took the year out.

Ah that sucks :frown: Always best to do research and consider every place with a subject like law, as you say very competitive! What's your firm?

i know, right!

I was depressed over my grades for a couple of days, so i moped around a bit. By the time i decided to release myself from my insurance (aru) and went into clearing, there was nothing left. I managed to secure an unconditional from Staffordshire but decided against it afterwards.
So glad i took the gap year, though! (thanks to tsr)

my firm is Reading.
Reply 570
i know, right!

I was depressed over my grades for a couple of days, so i moped around a bit. By the time i decided to release myself from my insurance (aru) and went into clearing, there was nothing left. I managed to secure an unconditional from Staffordshire but decided against it afterwards.
So glad i took the gap year, though! (thanks to tsr)

my firm is Reading.

I have to admit I did the same, I moped around because my situation wasn't even my fault and was hoping my tutors and head of year would sort everything out. My sixth form 'forgot' to send a piece of coursework to the examiners which was worth a hefty percentage of the overall grade so I was given the wrong grades at the time. By the time I got my real grades, my firm/insurance had already given my spots away even though I explained the situation to them, bleh.

I'm glad I took a gap year too :smile: Been a relaxing year for me and is just what I needed before I go into something like uni!
Hi, I've put Leicester as my insurance university but other than the acknowledgement that I've insured Leicester I haven't heard anything else from them. Does anyone know if I still have to apply for accommodation at Leicester?
Original post by edhello123
Hi, I've put Leicester as my insurance university but other than the acknowledgement that I've insured Leicester I haven't heard anything else from them. Does anyone know if I still have to apply for accommodation at Leicester?

Leicester was my insurance as well and I didn't apply for accommodation until i was rejected from my first choice after exam results, but another girl on my course , also had Leicester as her insurance but she applied for accommodation for Leicester as well as for her first choice which I would recommend because in October she was moving into a spacious en suite at John foster and I moved into Mary Gee - considerable difference.

I've also put Leicester as my insurance, if you read the part on this page about accommodation for an insurance applicant, I don't think we're supposed to apply for accommodation until Leicester becomes our firm after results day. If you apply before September, you're guaranteed university allocation accommodation anyway. Hope this helps :smile:

http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/accommodation/apply-online/specific-instructions-1
Original post by Carro_Chan
I've also put Leicester as my insurance, if you read the part on this page about accommodation for an insurance applicant, I don't think we're supposed to apply for accommodation until Leicester becomes our firm after results day. If you apply before September, you're guaranteed university allocation accommodation anyway. Hope this helps :smile:

Hi all,

This is correct. If Leicester is currently your insurance you don't need to apply for accommodation unless Leicester becomes your firm after you get your results :smile:

Thanks,

Vic

Student Room Representative
University of Leicester
Original post by Carro_Chan

Ok thank you! This has helped me a lot :smile:
Original post by Batmonkey
Leicester was my insurance as well and I didn't apply for accommodation until i was rejected from my first choice after exam results, but another girl on my course , also had Leicester as her insurance but she applied for accommodation for Leicester as well as for her first choice which I would recommend because in October she was moving into a spacious en suite at John foster and I moved into Mary Gee - considerable difference.

Do you think your first year Leicester university experience would have been different if you were in a different accommodation? I probably will apply for accommodation there as a backup because it seems like the clever thing to do :smile: thanks for all of your help though!
Do you think your first year Leicester university experience would have been different if you were in a different accommodation? I probably will apply for accommodation there as a backup because it seems like the clever thing to do :smile: thanks for all of your help though!

Yes in some ways but not in others, Mary Gee houses, house 10 people ( all single sex blocks) so a lot of people = a fair bit of noise sometimes, especially if you want to sleep but other people want to go out but Mary Gee to me has a great little community, we go to other blocks for pre-drinks. Its the cheapest accommodation which means more money for other things and i'll be honest the rooms are an ok size but the carpet is scratchy and awful, things do routinely break however the university is excellent as organising repairs as long as you can be bothered to tell them.

Its not luxury but i've definitely seen worse halls at other uni's - its a long trip from the uni especially as the bus is full and never stops for us.

The thing that really impressed me was that people on the same course were grouped together in the same blocks which is good because you've got friends at home to go to lectures with etc...

but in all honesty no being at Mary Gee hasn't really changed my uni experience, i've got some funny stories :smile:
Reply 578
Guys, there's finally a University of Leicester Freshers 2012-13 group on facebook...So Join :smile:
Original post by Batmonkey
Yes in some ways but not in others, Mary Gee houses, house 10 people ( all single sex blocks) so a lot of people = a fair bit of noise sometimes, especially if you want to sleep but other people want to go out but Mary Gee to me has a great little community, we go to other blocks for pre-drinks. Its the cheapest accommodation which means more money for other things and i'll be honest the rooms are an ok size but the carpet is scratchy and awful, things do routinely break however the university is excellent as organising repairs as long as you can be bothered to tell them.

Its not luxury but i've definitely seen worse halls at other uni's - its a long trip from the uni especially as the bus is full and never stops for us.

The thing that really impressed me was that people on the same course were grouped together in the same blocks which is good because you've got friends at home to go to lectures with etc...

but in all honesty no being at Mary Gee hasn't really changed my uni experience, i've got some funny stories :smile:

Okay thanks for all of your help! I think I will apply for accommodation at Leicester, just in case.

Quick Reply

Latest