The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Deank
[INDENT]

Well I suppose I could do it this summer when my brother gets back from Uni because he studies computer science which should be useful.

Would around £400 be enough for something half-decent if I built it? Also, how hard is it to build a computer, I heard you just slot things in :redface:

Computer Science, just has a slight glimpse over it, but they focus on the software and writing side of things.

Yeah, you should be able to build something half decent, but that's if you put more money in the graphics and cpu. Well the components requires slotting together, but you got to screw the mother board, power supply, hard drive and optical drive in. Of which motherboard takes a while.
Original post by Iqbal007
I got an xfx :s-smilie:

Yeah, so do I :tongue: I'm a little worried too because it's looking like I may have to send it in for RMA now :tongue:
Computer Science, just has a slight glimpse over it, but they focus on the software and writing side of things.

Yeah, you should be able to build something half decent, but that's if you put more money in the graphics and cpu. Well the components requires slotting together, but you got to screw the mother board, power supply, hard drive and optical drive in. Of which motherboard takes a while.

Doesn't sound too hard. What should I get to run Runescape in HD at highest settings and how much would it cost on average? I hate playing at 4 fps :frown:

(By the way, Runescape has had a massive graphic update)
Original post by hassi94
Yeah, so do I :tongue: I'm a little worried too because it's looking like I may have to send it in for RMA now :tongue:

hopefully that link is old :redface:
Original post by Deank
Doesn't sound too hard. What should I get to run Runescape in HD at highest settings and how much would it cost on average? I hate playing at 4 fps :frown:

(By the way, Runescape has had a massive graphic update)

Well i'm getting this as the requirements:
* RuneScape: 512MB RAM, 1 GHz CPU, 128MB 3D graphics card
* RuneScape HD: 2GB RAM, 2 GHz CPU

Doesn't seem like you need much in all honesty, just a decent HD card.....looking at this you can do it with a 6670 HD or push it to a 6770 HD. And a good amount of ram and a simple 2 core processor.
Well i'm getting this as the requirements:
* RuneScape: 512MB RAM, 1 GHz CPU, 128MB 3D graphics card
* RuneScape HD: 2GB RAM, 2 GHz CPU

Doesn't seem like you need much in all honesty, just a decent HD card.....looking at this you can do it with a 6670 HD or push it to a 6770 HD. And a good amount of ram and a simple 2 core processor.

Does this mean I could just get a new card??
Reply 6986
£400 is ok, but gaming will be poor for some of the latest ones, so around low-medium settings to not being able some in the worst case scenario.

Processor, it's essentially the main component, a small chip which does all the calculations of your computer.
While a graphics card also has a similar sort of chip, but designed for graphics specifically.

But in your price range at best you get is an 2nd gen i5 which is a good processor, but graphics wise you'll get a built in one.

Would you like me to look for you?
Getting one on-line is best, as pc world, etc sell at high prices with outdated technology compared to on-line stores.

Looks like I may give up on the chance of gaming, just want a fast capable laptop...I prefer browsing myself :P Just trying to find out the difference between good and bad processors and graphics cards.
Original post by Deank

i'd recommend extra RAM as well. On max setting on 4GB and HD 4770 i got like 10fps.
Now i get around 50ish on max with 8GB and a HD 7770.
Frankly runescape isn't too taxing a game, the only place with around 8GB of ram and a 5770 you'll lag is world 77 deaemonheim and 84 concentrated gold ore.
If you NEED a new computer (i.e. you have a slow computer or an unstable one) then get a quad core i5/6 core AMD. No need to overclock. 8GB ram, a 6770-7770 graphics card, a £20 pound cooler, a z77 motherboard and a decent case. With this a 600W PSU is enough and enough HDD space. An SSD is always useful but if like me you'll be priced out then no need. If an Runescape/ COD game is all you'll ever be playing in terms of graphics you're then sorted for the next 5 or so years. This should cost no more than 550-600 without an OS.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Deank

You could possibly, however you'll still need a good cpu to work along side your gpu, gpu only handles the graphics.
Original post by Rainingshame
i'd recommend extra RAM as well. On max setting on 4GB and HD 4770 i got like 10fps.
Frankly runescape isn't too taxing a game, the only place with around 8GB of ram and a 5770 you'll lag is world 77 deaemonheim and 84 concentrated gold ore.
If you NEED a new computer (i.e. you have a slow computer or an unstable one) then get a quad core i5/6 core AMD. No need to overclock. 8GB ram, a 6770-7770 graphics card, a £20 pound cooler, a z77 motherboard and a decent case. With this a 600W PSU is enough and enough HDD space. An SSD is always useful but if like me you'll be priced out then no need. If an Runescape/ COD game is all you'll ever be playing in terms of graphics you're then sorted for the next 5 or so years. This should cost no more than 550-600 without an OS.

Runescape would never need 8GB RAM. I don't even think it's 64 bit (so it's impossible for it to use that much RAM).
Original post by moorbre
Looks like I may give up on the chance of gaming, just want a fast capable laptop...I prefer browsing myself :P Just trying to find out the difference between good and bad processors and graphics cards.

If you look around on the known on-line sites, you should be able to pick up a decent i5 processor, maybe even an Asus make for around £400.
Is there any downsides to getting a mATX mobo other than possibly not being able to do SLI/Crossfire or install water cooling?
Original post by RipperRoo
Is there any downsides to getting a mATX mobo other than possibly not being able to do SLI/Crossfire or install water cooling?

They cost more and you get less for your money compared to a similar standard motherboard.
Stick with a standard one, which can easily be upgraded for the future and will handle far more.
Hey guys; I was wondering how to go about making sure I buy a CPU Cooler that actually fits with performance RAM (like Corsair Vengeance with the big heat spreader) I'm currently looking at this cooler and 2 * 4GB Corsair Vengeance on this motherboard.

How can I tell if this will fit or not?
Original post by hassi94
Hey guys; I was wondering how to go about making sure I buy a CPU Cooler that actually fits with performance RAM (like Corsair Vengeance with the big heat spreader) I'm currently looking at this cooler and 2 * 4GB Corsair Vengeance on this motherboard.

I could swear you can change the way you mount it, so you can make sure when you mount it, the bit sticking out faces towards the pci slots.
Reply 6995
Get one of those little closed loop liquid coolers.
Original post by Rainingshame

Thank you. I better look into some good ways of making money then!
Original post by hassi94

It will fit.

If for whatever reason it doesn't you can just put the fan on the other side.
Original post by hassi94
Runescape would never need 8GB RAM. I don't even think it's 64 bit (so it's impossible for it to use that much RAM).

You'd think that but i was still lagging at 4 :P it uses a max of around 1.8GB in the WORST conditions but it needs a lot spare or it does stutter some. Also you nearly always do stuff other than play it and if you add playing HD youtube videos and roaming the internet it exceeds 4GB. Also 8GB is always useful to have for the future.
Can someone explain the chipsets on motherboards for example my motherboard is a z68 chipset, I see people reccomending the z77 chipset

I plan on getting a 3rd gen processor in the summer and want to know if my lga 1155 socket z68 motherboard is cool with that

Latest

Trending

Trending