The Student Room Group

iGCSE EDEXCEL PHYSICS DISCUSSION 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Sorry I mean Paper 1
Original post by nithpriya
paper 1 or 2??

do you have the mark scheme for that paper?
Original post by StrangeBlueEgg
do you have the mark scheme for that paper?

physics??
Original post by librastar28
anyone please tell me the way you are revising for exam the day after tomorrow thanks.

Going through my revision guide and checking off points against the specification
Studying past papers
Watching videos on this channel
IMO this is quite a hard exam... What do you think are the hardest parts? I think electromagnetism in a solenoid and a flat coil and the long six marker- like 'explain how a uranium power plant produces electricity'.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by eebootwo
IMO this is quite a hard exam... What do you think are the hardest parts? I think electromagnetism in a solenoid and a flat coil and the long six marker- like 'explain how a uranium power plant produces electricity'.

Both these will be combined to produce a night mare long question asking us to describe how an electric bell works!
Original post by librastar28
:biggrin: thank you SOOOOOOOOOOO Much for responding well what do you think how is the paper going to be like hard or easy as compared to chemistry one

I'm not too sure tbh. Chem is my weakest subject of the three, and I didn't find the exam that bad today.

No point worrying about the potential difficulty of the paper, you can't change it. Just study hard and wait until Wednesday to see :smile:
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
Both these will be combined to produce a night mare long question asking us to describe how an electric bell works!

Just saying, but an electric bell doesn't involve either nuclear energy production or electromagnetism directly if I remember correctly. The switch is pressed, so the current rises as the circuit is complete; this causes the magnet to become powerful; this causes the bell striker to be attracted to the magnet, and as it approaches, it strikes the bell, creating the sound of a ring.
(edited 11 years ago)
Guys the grade boundaries are unlikely to be as low as 75% for an A* http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/I%20want%20to%20%20Tasks/1006%20iGCSE%20Grade%20Boundaries.pdf I'm guessing they'll be right on the 80% mark, but I mean come on iGCSE physics isn't exactly that challenging :biggrin:
Does anyone have the 2013 spec SAM paper?

There was one for Chemistry in the the exam thread.
Reply 150
Original post by eebootwo

Same! I find Physics easy but it's this new style of very 'experimenty' papers that get me!

Original post by Albino_muffin
Guys the grade boundaries are unlikely to be as low as 75% for an A* http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/I%20want%20to%20%20Tasks/1006%20iGCSE%20Grade%20Boundaries.pdf I'm guessing they'll be right on the 80% mark, but I mean come on iGCSE physics isn't exactly that challenging :biggrin:

Well I think it is, being a very good Physics student scoring very highly on the June 2011 exam, I found the Jan 2012 a lot harder because the experimenty papers are very hard for me to answer well which is what they appear to be now. Also The grade boundaries have been 69% in June 2011 and 66% in Jan 2012 for an A*. The link you posted is incorrect. It is for the 2010 examinations which aren't for our specification. :smile:
Reply 151
can anyone help me with something? I don't quite understand brownian motion...
Reply 152
Original post by IWantSomeMushu
Does anyone have the 2013 spec SAM paper?

There was one for Chemistry in the the exam thread.

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/IGCSE%20New%20IGCSE/UG030051-International-GCSE-in-Physics-master-booklet-spec-Issue-4-SAMs-for-web-280212.pdf
Original post by Maheeela
can anyone help me with something? I don't quite understand brownian motion...

I think, as far as the syllabus is concerned (and maybe further), all we need to know about Brownian motion is that the random movement of tiny air or water particles causes larger particles (e.g. smoke or pea pods) to appear as if they are in random, erratic motion with constantly changing direction; this happens because they are jolted constantly by the surrounding air or water particles (which are numerous enough to impart large momentum when taken together).
Reply 155
Original post by Big-Daddy
I think, as far as the syllabus is concerned (and maybe further), all we need to know about Brownian motion is that the random movement of tiny air or water particles causes larger particles (e.g. smoke or pea pods) to appear as if they are in random, erratic motion with constantly changing direction; this happens because they are jolted constantly by the surrounding air or water particles (which are numerous enough to impart large momentum when taken together).

Muchas gracias!!
Reply 156
How exactly does a commutator work in a D.C. motor? I know that it keeps the current flowing in the same direction, but how? Could someone explain to me how?
Reply 157
could anyone explain the stuff related to the seatbelt and montum?please:colondollar:
Reply 158
Original post by Carmeee
could anyone explain the stuff related to the seatbelt and montum?please:colondollar:

I might be wrong but i'll give it a go, basically what the seatbelt does is increases the time taken for the change in momentum to happen, and since the equation is force= change in momentum/time taken, if the time taken is longer the force will therefore be less.
Reply 159
Original post by edex123
How exactly does a commutator work in a D.C. motor? I know that it keeps the current flowing in the same direction, but how? Could someone explain to me how?

So, the coil begins to move up. When it reaches 90 degrees vertical, using Fleming's left hand rule, we can work out that this end of the wire will try to carry on moving up (so not

allowing it to rotate by moving down (clockwise)). The carbon brushes are not in contact with the split ring commutator here - they are in contact with where it splits. Momentum takes the

wire past 90 degrees, allowing the carbon brushes to be in contact with the other half of the split-ring. To enable it to carry on rotating, the split rings switch the direction of the

current, and by doing this the direction of the force changes, allowing the wire to move down.

So the three stages are:

1. Wire moves up.
2. Wire reaches 90 degrees vertical.
3. Wire carries on past vertical due to momentum.
4. Commutator switches direction of current.
5. Wire carries on by moving on downwards, resulting in a continuous rotation.

Quick Reply

Latest