The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Have you seen some of the questions from the last 2 exams?

This year's questions seemed more conventional, bar the lack of a good old differential equation. Even the rate of change question was doable if I had not spit the dummy out.

There was quite a few things in this years exam that have either never or only come up once before. So for some people, that could have made it harder.

The only question I found hard in last years paper was the last one, I thought the rest were pretty doable. I guess though I'm not very good at questions like Q12 from this year and if you hadn't learnt that proof by induction 16.a) was hard too.
Original post by PW7
take it you would be another to use my method?

More or less. When I saw that question I thought you can just show the argument of the numerator 11pi/18 take away argument of denominator 4pi/36 = argument of result = pi/2, which puts the result on the imaginary axis. Hence the real part is zero. I wouldn't even bother with doing cis if I was in a hurry.
Reply 1522
Original post by cr.x
So after comparing, What do you think the highest A1 mark will be after this paper? Last year it was 77 i think..

The grade boundaries tend to be fairly consistent so I don't think it will be more than 2 points either side of 77.
Solutions are ready! They are attached with the cleaned up paper itself (thanks to tomctutor).

Please link to this post rather than the files so the link always points to the latest version of the files. If there are mistakes do point them out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ukdragon37
Solutions are ready! They are attached with the cleaned up paper itself (thanks to tomctutor).

Please link to this post rather than the files so the link always points to the latest version of the files. If there are mistakes do point them out.

You are soooo awesome thanks!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:
Original post by pinkpaper94
You are soooo awesome thanks!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

You're welcome :smile:

Damn sitting at around 60% hope to god I scrape a B
Reply 1527

Thanks! On the answers I have scribbled down it's only 1a) I'm worried about - I seem to have copied a line of my working but not my final answer :s-smilie:
Just read your solution to Q9, ukdragon and now I want to die lol. I started doing what you did then rubbed it out and took A^-1 away from I and then hit a dead end :angry:

I completely messed up first question too, no idea why cuz it wasn't difficult :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Assuming UKD is correct I believe I'm sitting around 61%. I need a B so I hope to God they don't put the boundary up.

I have a discrepancy though, I was taught that when you find the second derivative of a parametric function, you can't just differentiate dy/dx, you have to actually find the second derivative and the second derivative of x.

Many thanks, going over all of the answers the now.
I think I've found a typo. Question 13 finding the points of Inflexion, is the first not 8/3 rather than 5/3 ?

Thanks again!
Also do you lose marks in 1 a) for not simplifying correctly?

It doesn't specify simplification is necessary, and I chose to split it into two fractions and simplify them individually as opposed to tidying up the numerator, does this cost me a crucial mark?
hardest maths paper I've ever done, completly messed it up haha :frown: will probs get a C and hopefully appeal to a B as that's what I got in the prelims.. anyone else find the differential equation really hard? those are usually my guaranteed marks but I couldn't get it! I didn't even get the partial fractions haha really wasn't my day :frown: hopefully the pass marks stay low..
Original post by stephenmca
Many thanks, going over all of the answers the now.
I think I've found a typo. Question 13 finding the points of Inflexion, is the first not 8/3 rather than 5/3 ?

Thanks again!

Well spotted :smile:
I think I got 58%... Whats the chances of me getting a B?:frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
At about 69%... maybe still get an A :smile:

Above paper and worked solution (UKDragon37) : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=37687338&postcount=1530

Put a link to this thread here from sister forum:
Advanced Higher Mathematics - 2012 Exam also on TSR
but gone silent now!
(edited 11 years ago)

Fanatasic answer doc! Really appretiate it!!

I noticed a small mistake, the graph for the modulus of the straight line went outwith the domain of the question.

Cheers man once again!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Marcus4004
Fanatasic answer doc! Really appretiate it!!

I noticed a small mistake, the graph for the modulus of the straight line went outwith the domain of the question.

Cheers man once again!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Oh the domain was actually the whole x axis as the question stated that the function is defined "for all x". However you only have to draw between -3 and 3 but if you go over it's not really a problem :smile:
Oh the domain was actually the whole x axis as the question stated that the function is defined "for all x". However you only have to draw between -3 and 3 but if you go over it's not really a problem :smile:

I realize it says for all x, however in the question (part a) it specifically asks to sketch between -3 and 3. Surely if you go over the domain you would drop marks as it is clearly stated in the question...

Latest