The Student Room Group

How much does your MSc tuition fee cost?

I did my research and I notice that tuition fees are increasing by a rapid rate year after year. By delaying doing a MSc, it's costing more and more.

Now, for my 1st choice MSc, I don't know if I want to spend £7000 doing a MSc for 2012 entry, when it use to cost £3995 for 2007 entry. It's proberly too late to apply for 2012 entry, so I have to apply for 2013 entry, so MSc costs is going to cost alot more then £7000.

I have narrowed down my search, and the course I am interested in, costs £7000 from Southampton or £4800 from Essex.

How much did your MSc cost? or is going to cost? and do you think it's worth the money? or just a waste of money?

If the government subsidies MSc, like they do with Undergraduate if your family had a low income, I would of applied years ago. I just don't know if it's worth the money and what I am paying that much money for?
Original post by GuyUK
I did my research and I notice that tuition fees are increasing by a rapid rate year after year. By delaying doing a MSc, it's costing more and more.

That's exactly what I was thinking the other day. I had a chance to go for a 1yr short term contract research assistant job, but decided I'd rather do my MRes this year (I already have an offer). I know I want to do a masters and go on to PhD studies, so why wait another year...as you mentioned it ain't getting any cheaper. Also, what about other costs, such as commuting, accommodation costs, food, books & study materials...its all just going up :angry:

Original post by GuyUK
Now, for my 1st choice MSc, I don't know if I want to spend £7000 doing a MSc for 2012 entry, when it use to cost £3995 for 2007 entry. It's proberly too late to apply for 2012 entry, so I have to apply for 2013 entry, so MSc costs is going to cost alot more then £7000.

Its not too late to apply, most places take students up until August. Admittedly, the earlier you apply the better your changes of getting a place. Some courses I've seen has deadlines of end of June...there's still time.

Original post by GuyUK

I have narrowed down my search, and the course I am interested in, costs £7000 from Southampton or £4800 from Essex.

How much did your MSc cost? or is going to cost? and do you think it's worth the money? or just a waste of money?

My MRes will cost £6000, but last year it cost about £4000 (I think). Other MRes's I've seen, especially at King's (£7000) and UCL (£10-£12k)...that's double what Imperial will be charging me. Ridiculous :mad:

Original post by GuyUK
If the government subsidies MSc, like they do with Undergraduate if your family had a low income, I would of applied years ago. I just don't know if it's worth the money and what I am paying that much money for?

In my case, I have to do a masters, if I want to stand a good chance of doing a PhD. Going straight from BSc to PhD (although possible) is a lot more difficult, due to the intense competition for funded places, caused by government and research council funding cuts.

No way that the government will do that...we on our own...credit cards, CDL, and other loans (family etc.), or savings is our only options.
Reply 2
Around £20,000 in (international) fees at Cambridge.
My MSc cost £7540 for this academic year (2011-2012). The fees only went up around £100-150 from the previous year, but I have just checked now what the fees are for next academic year (2012-2013) and they have shot up to £8950 for Home/EU students! I'm self-funded and saved up money over 2,5 years to pay for my fees and I doubt I would have been able to do it with these new and higher fees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending