The Student Room Group

C2 log question...

Solve the simultaneous equations:
Log2(x)+Log8(y)=-1
Log4(x)+Log2(y)=2

All logs here are to the base, ie not Log 2x
Please help :frown:
Reply 1
Before I go into it, have you got a value of x and y so I can check I'm right?

Edit:

I managed to get an answer that works for both of your values. Pretty sure I've never done anything like this for C2 though, what exam board are you with? Also, how many marks was this question?

To do this question you need to use pretty much all the rules for logs you know. Using logax=logbxlogbalog_a x = \frac {log_b x}{log_b a} to give them all the same base and blogax=logaxbb*log_a x = log_a x^b, logax+logay=logaxylog_a x + log_a y = log_a xy and logaxlogay=logaxylog_a x - log_a y = log_a \frac {x}{y} to simplify the equations.

I'd advise you have another got at this before you look at my workings. Make sure you put them all in the same base for ease and then manipulate the equations to get values for x and y.

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
you need to do something like replace log2y with 3log8y

and log2x with 2log4x
Reply 3
Original post by studentccs
Solve the simultaneous equations:
Log2(x)+Log8(y)=-1
Log4(x)+Log2(y)=2

All logs here are to the base, ie not Log 2x
Please help :frown:

You need to use the change of base rule.

log2x+log8y=1    log2x+log2ylog28=1    log2x+log2y3=1    x3y=18 \displaystyle log_2 x + log_8 y = -1 \implies log_2 x + \frac{log_2 y}{log_2 8} = -1 \implies log_2 x + \frac{log_2 y}{3} = -1 \\ \implies x^3 y = \frac18

In a similar way construct an equation using log4x+log2y=2 log_4 x + log_2 y = 2

Then sub one equation into another to find the values.

Quick Reply

Latest