The Student Room Group

What do you think of male primary school teachers?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by GrantG
What GCSEs do you need? 5 A-C including core science, Eng Lang and Maths ?

Yes, you have to have a C in English and Maths. As well as this, you would need A levels with on average BBB grades or equivalent qualifications. I'm hopefully going to Brighton in September to study Primary eduction and was shocked that at the 4 interviews I attended there was never more than 3 male applicants. But if this is a career you are really thinking about make sure you get experience!
Reply 41
some of the statements about female teachers and their interaction with boys in this thread are ludicrous.

And since when has any body seen their teacher as a 'role model'.
Why would there be anything wrong with it?

Have people never heard of "Sex Equality" or does that only apply to women?

I was thinking about Primary School Teacher at one point (still is in the back of my mind) - I'd have enjoyed some aspects but doubt whether I'd have had it in me to actually be a teacher for my working life!!

But if that is in you, then go for it!! And sod the BS'ers who say you shouldnt!!

(I did my Work Experience at a Primary School and enjoyed it. I was also told that male teachers tend to be promoted to headteachers quicker than women - only saying!! :smile:)
Reply 43
haha bro you like the young 'uns huh? :wink:
It isn't weird at all, its just theres very few of them. When I was in Year 6, my teacher went on maternity leave, and we were replaced with a male teacher. He was fantastic. Only young, straight out of his degree, but he really knew his stuff. He knew how to keep the class entertained, and yet still made us all stride to work our hardest. In fact he was probably the best primary school teacher that we ever had!
Reply 45
I had quite a lot of male primary school teachers. I'm sorry but why is this even an issue? Would you question the motives of any male who wishes to be a paediatrician?
Original post by mrshinyshoes
We need more of them! My primary school had 1 male teacher who taught me for like half a year.....rest of the time was female teachers, who most of them didn't have sons so they treated the boys like we were rubbish compared to girls :/

explain the -9 neg please :colondollar:
Can't see anything wrong with male primary school teachers. When I was a kid my Year 6 teacher was male, as was the headmaster.
It's pretty similar in my kids' school actually. The headmaster is male, and there is 1 other male teacher - he teaches one of the higher classes - probably the equivalent of Year 5 or 6, and he's also the deputy head.

I don't think it's strange at all.
From what I've heard, primary schools are always eager to welcome male teachers because there simply aren't many!

It's a fantastic profession and there is definitely a need for more male teachers. After all, male students are more likely to identify and engage with male teachers. It's good for them to have a strong male role model (especially if there isn't one at home).

So I say go for it :smile:
Original post by plimsolls

And since when has any body seen their teacher as a 'role model'.

To be fair, some people do in fact see their teachers as role models, particularly if they're lacking decent ones at home.

I certainly looked up to some of my teachers.
Reply 50
Bump

Thanks to answers already :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by TheSmithsIndeed
To be fair, some people do in fact see their teachers as role models, particularly if they're lacking decent ones at home.

I certainly looked up to some of my teachers.

O.k, well i saw all of my teachers as the authority in the classroom and nothing else. I find it a little odd that people see their teachers as role models tbh. And also even more odd that people are focusing so much on gender, like children can only listen well to/respect a teacher their own sex. If this is the case then there's something wrong with you.
Reply 52
What degree should you get?
Reply 53
Original post by GrantG
Oops didn't notice that :biggrin: I was TSRaped last week :P

Fb rape = lame.

bbm rape = sad.

TSR rape = no words to describe.
Original post by GrantG
Is it stupid for a man to want to be a primary school teacher? I want to be either a secondary school teacher or primary school. The latter seems to be a bit weird for a male? Opinions.

No I don't think it is weird :smile: Go for it!
Reply 55
Thinking about it now, all of my primary school teachers were female.
Never thought anything of it, and still don't.
Perfectly fine.
Reply 56
bump
There were quite a few male teachers at my primary schools. plus I remember Mr Crisp the classroom assistant who was amazing.

I went to a 3 tier system so the first two years of my middle school would still be at primary school in other counties. At middle school I think the male:female teacher ratio was about even.
Original post by GrantG
What degree should you get?

many degrees can lead onto a teaching degree. You just have to check before you apply. Most courses that are based on a school subject will do so anything from history to english to maths to science.
Reply 59
Original post by Clare~Bear
many degrees can lead onto a teaching degree. You just have to check before you apply. Most courses that are based on a school subject will do so anything from history to english to maths to science.

What about American Studies?

Quick Reply