The Student Room Group

How often do you see your grandparents?

And do you feel guilty if you rarely see them?

I see one side about twice a week and we are really close. The other side I see about once every two months, as I find it really awkward when I go round because we aren't very close at all. I don't know what to talk about! I feel SO guilty about this, because I know I will regret this so much when they have passed away. I'm going to go and see them tomorrow, I hope to make it a weekly thing. I need to make it a weekly thing.

What about you?

EDIT: Went round to see the side I never see a few days ago, and it was lovely. I made them a cake ^_^ It wasn't as awkward as I suspected it would be and I could tell they were really happy to see me, and vice versa!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

On my mum's side my grandma lives about half a mile away and when I'm home I see her most days, she's like a third parent to me really! My granddad lives thousands of miles away so I see him every few years, but I do feel a bit guilty not calling more often.
On my dad's side my grandparents live at the other end of the country to me, so I don't see them very often at all and don't call as often as I should :/ but when I do see them I feel comfortable and happy in their company.
I see my grandma once a week. We're quite close as I've seen her once a week nearly every week since I was a child. She's quite upset about how she won't have any grandchildren that visit her anymore when I move for university.
Well both sets are dead so not anymore. Two of them I never saw because they died before I was born and the other two I only saw once every 2/3 years because they live abroad. I had a good relationship with my paternal grandfather, my maternal grandmother had a stoke so it was hard communicating with her. If you live near yours or at least live in the same country you should see them I wish I could have known mine a lot better. If I have grandkids I would want to see them as often as I can.
Reply 4
Maternal grandparents: every day
Paternal grandparents: never

:colone:
Reply 5
My mum parents I see every day and I'm as close to my mums mum as I am my mum. But on my dads side I don't really like my nan and grandad. I see them about once a year because they live far away.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad Ap
Reply 6
I make a point of going to see them once every week. If there is every a particularly busy time where I haven't seen them as much, I definitely start to feel it/feel the need to see them!

I'd really encourage you to make it a weekly thing. I bet it would mean the absolute world to them.
I see my grandma on my mum's side every time I come home from uni for the holidays, and we also e-mail and stuff so we're quite close.
I basically never see the other side, just kind of grew apart from them when my parents got divorced. I never really liked my grandfather on my father's side anyway, he has some rather dodgy ideas which he's always going on about and he makes me slightly uncomfortable.
I used to see my gran every Saturday and Sunday as me, my mum and my siblings used to go to hers for dinner as my dad worked weekends. Now we're older we only go up for Sunday dinner every so often. I should probably pop round to see her more often.

My gran and grandad I haven't seen in years. They live in the middle of nowhere so the only time I can see them is if my dad takes me which he never does. Last Christmas my dad was going to see them and asked if I wanted to go as it would make them really happy, I said yes. Just before we were going to leave he turns round and says "oh I'll pop round there another day and I won't be taking any of you lot with me". I don't get it? He complains if we don't go and see them but he refuses to take us? I'll probably never see them again because they're quite old now and not in the best of health...
Reply 9
my British Grand parents i see once every couple of months or so they live a two hour drive away so its a bit to out of my way considering ... my New Zealand ones, before they sadly passed away i hadnt seen in nearly a decade so bit of a gap there but £2k a ticket to see them did make it rather hard...
When I go home I usually go and see my grandmother at least once, ask her if she needs any help with anything, get free biscuits, etc :biggrin:

Makes me sad to see her less mobile than she used to be :frown: we used to go to places like Cambridge and Norwich on day trips, now she's lucky if she gets out of town.
maybe 4 - 5 times a year, but I live away from where I grew up now.
I see my grandad on my mum's side every couple of months I guess (lives in london so quite a distance).

I've been with my granparents on my dad's side just two periods of time in my lifetime, when we used to live next to them (though I was a 1 year old so it's not as if I remember) and when they came to stay with us last year for a couple of weeks. They live in New Zealand.
Reply 13
I never got to meet my Maternal grandparents, they both passed away within 2 years before I was born, my nan died the month before my mum fell pregnant with me. :frown: It's horrible because my mum said I would have seen them everyday (both passed away in their 60's) had they lived longer.

As for my paternal grandparents, I see them maybe once a year or so, but they live in Ireland and we live in London, so it's not that easy to meet up often.
I see my Gran on my Dad's side every day. I love her more than my parents.
I see my mormor (norweigan Gran) and my Granddad around twice a year, we're not that close.

There's also a Granddad I've never met.
paternal: they died before i was born(well idk about my dad's dad)
maternal: see them 2-3 times a year, my grama is quiet alot because when she was little her mom died of tuberculosis & she wasn't allowed to tell anyone or else her & her brothers would have been taken away; i'm quiet alot too, but that's just because i'm akward :smile: we get along. my grampa has a country accent & i am partially deaf so i don't always understand what he's saying lol we get along all right too :smile:
Reply 16
I see them maybe once every 5 or 10 years since they're away in another country, but I do write more often.
Pretty much same as you OP.
Paternal ones a few times a week and really close
Maternal ones probably once every few months if that even though they only live about 5 miles away
Original post by FigureSkater
paternal: they died before i was born(well idk about my dad's dad)
maternal: see them 2-3 times a year, my grama is quiet alot because when she was little her mom died of tuberculosis & she wasn't allowed to tell anyone or else her & her brothers would have been taken away; i'm quiet alot too, but that's just because i'm akward :smile: we get along. my grampa has a country accent & i am partially deaf so i don't always understand what he's saying lol we get along all right too :smile:

Wow that must have been awful
Original post by Airfairy
And do you feel guilty if you rarely see them?

I see one side about twice a week and we are really close. The other side I see about once every two months, as I find it really awkward when I go round because we aren't very close at all. I don't know what to talk about! I feel SO guilty about this, because I know I will regret this so much when they have passed away. I'm going to go and see them tomorrow, I hope to make it a weekly thing. I need to make it a weekly thing.

What about you?

Thats nice though OP many people don't end up doing something and regretting it so that is nice you want to make the effort
I'm going to try with my other grandparents when I finish uni too for same reason

Quick Reply