The Student Room Group

WJEC 22nd may 2012 english literature gcse

Scroll to see replies

Original post by star10159
If you're talking about the january 2102 exam, I did that too
And let's be honest, we got a friendship themed question....
You cant really complain about that can you,

yeah i am, and i can complain because my english teacher only got us to revise george, lennie, curley's wife and slim, not candy! so i had to guess, but it worked anyway so nevermind lol
Reply 41
Original post by Han96
yeh, I wasn't overly pleased with the essay question (extract was fine) but I think by choosing the protagonist, it's very difficult to be concise, would have preferred a more minor character because there's less to cover, ho hum. I went for Lennie too. :L

Poems went ok, ran out of time a bit too, would have liked to have been able to read through it all. Haha, yeh, damn babies :biggrin:

What really got me was that I'd prepared so well for the minor characters. Thought a question on Lennie or George would be too obvious. :doh: Stupid, stupid child that I am!

For the extract question, Of Mice and Men, did anyone have any points to make other than he's scared of his future, nervous about asking George, guilty about not shooting dog, excited at prospect of joining George and Lennie on farm? I felt as though I was just stating the obvious...:s-smilie:
Reply 42
Original post by Vernish
I think the raw mark for an A* is 43.

Felt as though I was saying the most random stuff for the poetry too. Am hoping they credit it as a "possible interpretation" rather than a "this kid doesn't have a clue what she's talking about." :s-smilie:

Same! I felt as though I was making up the most bulls**t ever - I said something about how the soft 'c,' in the word "grace," could be representative of the child's beauty or something along those lines. However, the poems that they chose were awful though.
Reply 43
iF i DID A question c, but accidentally wrote 'question b' on the front, will it stilll be marked!, because you could make a choice

What do you mean we had to write on the front? Oh craaaaaap did we have to write the question we did on the front? I thought you wrote for example 1. c in the margin :frown: Will they fail me automatically? :confused:
Reply 44
For everyone asking, its highly unlikely that they won't mark your question simply because you wrote the wrong question number.

So stop worrying.

On the other hand, I feel this exam went rubbish.. could've wrote so much more but for some reason my mind went blank!

Poems were utterly ridiculous and blabbed on about random stuff which probably had no relevance.. hoping for an A :frown: probs just have to push it up with the exam on Thursday lol ><
Reply 45
Original post by liamjonadamson
So, for question a in TKAM, i wrote a page on this, explaining the metaphor of putting knife down ... plate to the side e.t.c.

Question b looked horrid, and my teacher said avoid it at all costs.

Question c was OK, but it was more injustice than justice! Here I mentioned:
Injustice of Tom Robison (all white jury + innocence)
Injustice of Dolphus Raymond (judged by society, like TR)
Injustice of Boo Radley (Similar point, mentioned 'never understand')
Justice that Calpurnia gets (Treated as an equal)

I have to say, I actually liked the poetry. I though they had a common theme of death maybe? I also described the children as innocent, and showed the children o be naturalistic. For a personal response, I thought it highlighted the post natal depression for mothers.

Judging from this, does anyone think I would possibly get an A with those points?

Yeah, from what you said, they sound like good points (thus I assume that you are fairly good at english) so I would think that you should get an A as you asked.
Reply 46
But did we have to actually write on the front? I don't understand
Reply 47
@aTOMic

You should have written on the front but I doubt that t will make a difference because the English examiners aren't stupid, they're all good at English - rather than just random people off the street, like for the science exams - so they most probably care about the subject and will not just fail you for not writing the question numbers on the front.
Reply 48
Original post by jp18
@aTOMic

You should have written on the front but I doubt that t will make a difference because the English examiners aren't stupid, they're all good at English - rather than just random people off the street, like for the science exams - so they most probably care about the subject and will not just fail you for not writing the question numbers on the front.

Thanks jp18. I'm not sure if we were told about writing on the front as I thought the exams officer was saying the usual rubbish and instead just kept going over OMAM in my head. So should I just forget about it or should I tell the exams officer? :smile:
For the poetry section i totally screwed up , the poem A Child Sleeps by Carol Ann Duffy , well i totally misread it and wrote about how a mother is over the grave of her child and the wood is a coffin and the smell of flowers is the flowers around her grave , the moment when Duffs says how the mother see's her daughter cupping light , well i said she was an angel and the final verse where she goes to the window i put the window was signifying heaven and she was going to heaven. IS THERE ANYWAY I CAN GET MARKS FOR WRITING STUFF LIKE THIS? :/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by Francescccca
For the poetry section i totally screwed up , the poem A Child Sleeps by Carol Ann Duffy , well i totally misread it and wrote about how a mother is over the grave of her child and the wood is a coffin and the smell of flowers is the flowers around her grave , the moment when Duffs says how the mother see's her daughter cupping light , well i said she was an angel and the final verse where she goes to the window i put the window was signifying heaven and she was going to heaven. IS THERE ANYWAY I CAN GET MARKS FOR WRITING STUFF LIKE THIS? :/

as long as u backed up ur answer you will..
4 poetry eveyone can have a different impression its a matter of P.E.E!
I feel really sorry for the poor soul who has to read and mark my paper, particularly my unseen poetry answer. It was a complete and utter mess >_<
On a side note, I opened up the poetry section, saw the words 'Carol Ann Duffy', and promptly collapsed onto the desk.
Reply 52
Original post by -aTOMic-
Thanks jp18. I'm not sure if we were told about writing on the front as I thought the exams officer was saying the usual rubbish and instead just kept going over OMAM in my head. So should I just forget about it or should I tell the exams officer? :smile:

Just forget about it; the examiners aren't gonna be so stupid that they can't work it out and you'll only lose marks for it if they're in a really knobby mood but then I guess that everyone getting marked by that examiner would be in the same position.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 53
Original post by Charlesgreenough
I'm guessing not as you can the marker can tell what he is marking.

WHAT WAS QUESTION B) ON OF MICE AND MEN?

To what extent is it possible to feel sympathy for Lennie, in your opinion?

IS ANYONE DOING A CHRISTMAS CAROL AND A VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE? IF SO CAN YOU PROVIDE QUESTIONS!!!! AND HELP1!!!! ARGH
Reply 54
For night feed I thought it was about a guy with a drinking problem and for the other one I thought it was about a person hiding in a safe room. Oh dear.
Reply 55
Original post by Dannyward
For night feed I thought it was about a guy with a drinking problem and for the other one I thought it was about a person hiding in a safe room. Oh dear.

It said it was about daughters..

lolol unlucky
Reply 56
Original post by Dannyward

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 57
How do guys feel about the exam today?
Original post by No brainer1
How do guys feel about the exam today?

I thought it was all good. What about you?

My books were A Christmas Carol and A View from the Bridge so may have been different to whatever you did.

Anyone doing A Christmas Carol did you notice that the essays were both labelled ii) and ii). Or was this only my centre. We are a grammar school so I would have thought they wouldn't have made this mistake!
Original post by urnie
iF i DID A question c, but accidentally wrote 'question b' on the front, will it stilll be marked!, because you could make a choice

Same thing happened to a girl in my school. But we were doing An Inspector Calls. She told me that she called up WJEC and they said they would mark her answer as if it was answering the question she labelled. So she labelled it 3c) but answered 3b). So her essay about 3b) will be marked according to 3c)

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending