The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Missed all of the decent accommodation.Should I wait until results day or go private?

Like some other people on here I completely missed all of the good accommodation (gill street, sandsby etc) and all that's left are shared facilities 2 Miles from the city campus :/
I would just like an opinion on whether to wait until results day when some places might open up or just go with private accommodation? So far I have briefly looked at Goldsmiths, IQ and Glasshouse.
My main concern about going private is that there won't be many freshers and it'll be harder to meet people, but my concern about doing nothing until August is that there won't be guaranteed places in the uni halls.
I'm so confused lol. If it helps, I'll be studying law as a first year undergraduate :smile:
Goldsmith is stationed right in the middle of the City Campus so I doubt you'll have trouble meeting people. From what I heard it has plenty of Freshers as well. It will most likely have filled up by August so if you wait until then, you won't have much choice. Glasshouse is too expensive and I had a look around it, definitely not worth what they ask for. IQ seems to be very reasonably priced and it's a nice accommodation but you might miss out, considering it's a 15 minute walk from campus and you're a Fresher (I'm not necessarily right though). I recommend Goldsmith.
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply I've had a deeper look into what IQ is offering and it really pretty well priced, although a big of a walk. I think I really need to go and visit as much private accommodation as I can before I decide. Btw do you know anything about trinity square? I've hesdd that's quite a good place to be and about on par with goldsmiths :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Sunny Razza
Thanks for the reply I've had a deeper look into what IQ is offering and it really pretty well priced, although a big of a walk. I think I really need to go and visit as much private accommodation as I can before I decide. Btw do you know anything about trinity square? I've hesdd that's quite a good place to be and about on par with goldsmiths :smile:

Sorry about the spelling and grammar mistakes I'm typing this on my phone haha.
Sorry about the spelling and grammar mistakes I'm typing this on my phone haha.

No problem :biggrin:

Yeah, it's best you book a viewing with all of those accommodations on a certain day the go over to Nottingham to see for yourself which one you prefer, it's what I did (though I also looked at Victoria Halls). You should note that IQ only do viewings on Wednesdays though.

Trinity Square is a bit pricey but it's a very nice accommodation and is less than a 10 minute walk away from campus. I had really been considering it before I decided on Goldsmith.
I'm a second year going into Goldsmiths and in the Facebook group for next year there seems to be loads of freshers so you'll have no problem meeting people in any of the private halls.
Reply 6
Oh cool, do either of you know how quickly the goldsmiths accommodation usually runs out? I was completely shocked by how fast the Trent halls went :O
Reply 7
Like some other people on here I completely missed all of the good accommodation (gill street, sandsby etc) and all that's left are shared facilities 2 Miles from the city campus :/
I would just like an opinion on whether to wait until results day when some places might open up or just go with private accommodation? So far I have briefly looked at Goldsmiths, IQ and Glasshouse.
My main concern about going private is that there won't be many freshers and it'll be harder to meet people, but my concern about doing nothing until August is that there won't be guaranteed places in the uni halls.
I'm so confused lol. If it helps, I'll be studying law as a first year undergraduate :smile:

Personally, i thought IQ offered better value for money. I'm a fresher as well studying law too:smile:
i booked iq, mainly because the rooms are spacious and its not too far from the city centre meaning easy access for shopping. yeey..
before i booked iq i looked around at victoria halls, goldsmith and goldsmith and iq. IQ had a good vibe for me so i would recommend you look around before you book that way you wont feel as tho you made a wrong decision
Oh cool, do either of you know how quickly the goldsmiths accommodation usually runs out? I was completely shocked by how fast the Trent halls went :O

No idea really. It will be my first year in Goldsmiths as I'm in Sandby at the moment. I know they're still advertising places there though. The uni halls do go very quickly, especially ones like Sandby and Hampden which are right next to the uni itself.
Simonc, I believe I've seen you on the facebook group before :biggrin:
Reply 10

Private halls are usually pretty filled up by results day. Or at least they were 3 years ago when I started. Since then though there has been new university halls built so more people in them. It can be quite hit and miss, so maybe put a deposit down if you see somewere you like? :smile:
Original post by Jaydiee
Private halls are usually pretty filled up by results day. Or at least they were 3 years ago when I started. Since then though there has been new university halls built so more people in them. It can be quite hit and miss, so maybe put a deposit down if you see somewere you like? :smile:

whats victoria halls like? do people generally like it? or complain about it?
Reply 12
Original post by goku12345
whats victoria halls like? do people generally like it? or complain about it?

I had a friend in Victoria Halls in first year. He said it was alright. Pretty standard halls really, although they are slightly further away from Uni, not by a considerable amount though. Some people are a bit put off about the area. Apparently there's a subway bit where a load of pikeys hang out but if you stay away from them you wont have any trouble.! :smile:
Look at Trinity Square, I love it here and we definitely have loads of freshers because I'm a boring second year always moaning about the noise they make :wink:
Reply 14
Trinity square is proper pricey, i think victoria hall or glasshouse are the best choices. viccy halls put freshers in blocks and 2nd and 3rd years in seperate blocks so you will be with others freshers not sure how it works in glasshouse.
Reply 15
Are you still looking for accommodation? I wont be needing mine at Royal house almost right opposite the uni if you want to check it out? Its cheaper than most as well at £118 a week and its a studio so you dont have to share but you still have people right outside your door to make friends.

Reply 16
I think private halls are just as good to meet other freshers as uni owned ones. Most halls are careful about putting freshers/ post grads in separate flats. I lived at Victoria Hall in first year and that's what they did. Would definitely recommend them! Only took me 10 mins to walk to uni too and price is a lot lot cheaper than most of the other halls.

Quick Reply

Latest