The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EmilioAlzamora
hi!

this answer won't help me - what does "subject to validation" mean for those students who have already applied for the course. Can we rest assured that the course is likely to be thaught or not this autumn (2012)?

please be a little bit more precise :wink:)

thank you!

Hi Emilio,

I have contacted the postgraduate team at Surrey and I am waiting for a reply to your query. Otherwise their contact details are as follows if you would like to speak to someone in person:

For general enquiries
T: 0800 980 3200 or
+44 (0)1483 681681
E: [email protected]

For admissions enquiries
T: +44 (0)1483 686300
E: [email protected]

I hope this helps and I will post the reply once I receive it from the enquiries team,

thanks!
Natasha
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Original post by MashB
How lenient are the grades to study Economics, like if you get one or two grades off? Also what are the prospects of entering the investment banking career from studying at Surrey?

Hi MashB!

I have contacted Surrey's Economics Undergraduate Admissions team with your enquiry, and will hopefully get a reply soon.

Otherwise if you would like to speak to someone in person, you can contact Irene Cripps UG Administrator for the School of Economics on 01483 689320 or [email protected]. Or otherwise
Laura Pettinger Recruitment and Admissions Assistant for the School of Economics 01483 682773 or [email protected].

Once I have a reply I will post it back on here, I hope this helps!

Thanks for your question,
Natasha
Reply 22
Original post by University of Surrey
Hi Nicholas

We do accept Btecs however your question is subject specific, if you would like to let me know the name of the course your interested in studying, i can get back to you with a response.

Debbie

I'm interested in your Biochemistry course, and also Microbiology.

Thanks again.
Original post by justn1c2
I'm interested in your Biochemistry course, and also Microbiology.

Thanks again.

Hi justn1c2,

Thanks for being patient :smile:

I have spoken to the admissions tutors for the two courses you are interested in and they have said they would accept your BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science on its own, with grades of at least DDM (for 2013 entry) - however if you took an additional A Level in an appropriate subject (e.g. Science, Maths etc) this would of course enhance your application and you would thus be viewed more favourably in comparison to BTEC students without an A Level.

This additional A Level may not form part of your official offer, but may be used as a deciding factor come results day if perhaps you slightly miss the BTEC offer.

You stated that you are hoping to achieve top grades of D*s - something that may interest you is we offer an academic scholarship, known as the Chancellor's Scholarship, to students who obtain grades of D*DD or above in their BTEC Extended Diploma and who select Surrey as their Firm choice on UCAS.

Our scholarship is to the value of £3,000 in your first year only, and free membership of the Surrey Sports Park for the duration of your course - not a bad amount really! :biggrin:

I hope this answers your question - please do come along to one of our Open Days on either the 29th or 30th June; you'll have the opportunity to speak directly with the Admissions Tutors and current students on the day who I'm sure will be able to help you if you have any further queries :smile:

- Alex
Original post by MashB
How lenient are the grades to study Economics, like if you get one or two grades off? Also what are the prospects of entering the investment banking career from studying at Surrey?

Hi again MashB,

Thanks for being patient :smile:

We are still waiting to hear back from the Economics admissions team regarding leniency, however my best advice really would be obviously to aim for as best grades as you think you are able to achieve - hopefully you will meet our offer, but if come results day a grade is dropped, it is at this point we would revisit your application, read over your personal statement again and then make a decision. If you are also currently studying A Level Maths, our minimum entry tariff is reduced by 1 grade as well.

When we read applications, we are always searching for ways to accept students so providing your application is strong enough and your AS grades and predicted grades are around or thereabouts what we are looking for you should be in with a good chance. Make sure in your personal statement you get across your passion for economics and if (but only if) you have any career aspirations (perhaps Investment Banking?) put that in too :smile:

With regards to careers, the University of Surrey has an unrivalled graduate employment track record, with the University coming out top on average for over the past decade. Currently, 94.8% of our graduates are in graduate-level employment, or further study - this is the highest figure for any English chartered university. So whilst we cannot guarantee you a job after you leave us, you do have a very very strong chance of obtaining one :cool:

Our Economics department runs three different courses: Economics, Economics & Finance and Business Economics, and there is also a course in Financial Mathematics run by the Maths department. It might be a good idea to pop along to one of our Open Days at the end of June as the Economics tutors will be able to best advise on the day which would be the better course for you to take for your chosen career path.

Hope this helps, please get back in touch if I can help with any further questions!

-Alex
hi!

this answer won't help me - what does "subject to validation" mean for those students who have already applied for the course. Can we rest assured that the course is likely to be thaught or not this autumn (2012)?

please be a little bit more precise :wink:)

thank you!

Hi Emilio,

Thanks for being patient, I now have received an answer from the admissions team.

'These programmes are new for this September but have received many applications (proving their popularity). In light of this, it is extremely unlikely that they would not be validated but the validations are usually done when the students break up for the holidays

You will be informed as soon as possible if the validation falls through and we would of course offer you a place on another suitable MSc programme.'
Georgina Christmas,
Recruitment and Admissions team for Economics, Business and Law.
Tel: 01483 686331
[email protected]

I hope this helps!
Thanks,
Natasha
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by member885278
hey guys

I'm a british born Korean and will be attending the uni in the coming september!
Just wondering if fellow students there know if there are many koreans there? or even any? haha

thank you! (:

Hi member885278,

We currently have almost 50 South Korean students at the University of Surrey, around three fifths of whom are on Undergraduate programmes. So you won't be alone at the university, rest assured! You may even have the opportunity to set up and run a Korean society, under the guidance from the Students' Union, if you so wish; there are currently similar societies for students of other worldwide nationalities!

Good luck with any up-coming exams!

- Alex
Hi guys,

I moved to England from Holland in 2009 which was year 11 for me. This move really let me mess up my GCSEs as I literally did not understand half of the exams I sat. Having lived here for nearly 3 years now I've been able to get my grades up in the A-levels I do. I was just wondering how you guys would treat my application if I don't meet the GCSE requirement for the course I want to apply to...? Some people say that GCSEs won't matter and others say they got rejected from their first choice Unis because they didn't meet the GCSE requirements. Will my move to England fall under "extenuating circumstances"...?

Thanks Guys this is really helpful hope that more Unis will do this
Hi Emilio,

Thanks for being patient, I now have received an answer from the admissions team.

'These programmes are new for this September but have received many applications (proving their popularity). In light of this, it is extremely unlikely that they would not be validated but the validations are usually done when the students break up for the holidays

You will be informed as soon as possible if the validation falls through and we would of course offer you a place on another suitable MSc programme.'
Georgina Christmas,
Recruitment and Admissions team for Economics, Business and Law.
Tel: 01483 686331
[email protected]

I hope this helps!
Thanks,
Natasha

Yes, it does! thank you very much Natasha! :wink:
Original post by lmartynofficial
Hi guys,

I moved to England from Holland in 2009 which was year 11 for me. This move really let me mess up my GCSEs as I literally did not understand half of the exams I sat. Having lived here for nearly 3 years now I've been able to get my grades up in the A-levels I do. I was just wondering how you guys would treat my application if I don't meet the GCSE requirement for the course I want to apply to...? Some people say that GCSEs won't matter and others say they got rejected from their first choice Unis because they didn't meet the GCSE requirements. Will my move to England fall under "extenuating circumstances"...?

Thanks Guys this is really helpful hope that more Unis will do this

Hi Martyn,

Thanks very much for your question!

In cases with extenuating circumstances this would normally be due to things such as illness or family problems, and so unfortunately moving countries would not give you any leeway on the issue. With regards to GCSEs, every student who joins us must meet the General University Entrances requirements of GCSE English Language and GCSE Maths at Grade C or above (some courses may have higher minimums, e.g. Psychology is B in both, Business is B in Maths). If a student at the time of application does not meet the requirements they must resit, and their offer of a place would be conditional until GCSE results day - if they still do not meet the GCSE requirements by this date unfortunately their application would be declined.

There are recognised equivalencies to the GCSE which would be accepted, but in that case it would come down to each individual case and I can't really give a general answer I'm afraid.

I hope this helps you,
Thanks,
Natasha
(edited 11 years ago)
...does the university of Surrey offer a Student Oyster Card for London (with the same price reduction offered by those universities located directly in the City of London)?

In the case a student lives in London and travels (daily) to Guildford, is there another price benefit beyond the 16-25 Railcard available?

thank you for your help!
...does the university of Surrey offer a Student Oyster Card for London (with the same price reduction offered by those universities located directly in the City of London)?

In the case a student lives in London and travels (daily) to Guildford, is there another price benefit beyond the 16-25 Railcard available?

thank you for your help!

Hi Emilio,

As far as I am aware, these are the only two schemes available.
The Oyster card scheme is run by TFL and universities can confirm that students are eligible for a student discount. If you want to apply, you need to go the TFL website (www.tfl.gov.uk/photocard) and upload the relevant details and photograph. The University then approves the applications online.

Guildford is outside the Oyster area, so a railcard might be a better option, although peak time travel is not eligible for a discount. Unless you are over 25, there would be no need for the University to authorise the application.

I hope this helps!
Thanks for your question,
Natasha
Hi guys! I'm wondering if there's any chance to do a working placement during/after I graduated from my study? I firmed a place in Tourism Development MSc.

Thanks!
Original post by Amaranggana
Hi guys! I'm wondering if there's any chance to do a working placement during/after I graduated from my study? I firmed a place in Tourism Development MSc.

Thanks!

Hi Amaranggana,

Do you mean a placement as part of your MSc?

The MSc Tourism Development programmes is a full-time 12 month taught course, so unfortunately there is no option to have an integrated placement due to the time constraints.

That said, the University of Surrey does have the best graduate employment record of any Chartered university in England, on average over the past decade, and our in-house careers service will provide you with as much help as possible in finding a career after you complete your post-graduate degree (e.g. CV help, mock interviews, job listings etc).

Our Tourism department is also currently ranked number 1 in the UK in both the Guardian and Complete University Guides 2013, so rest assured that you will be studying at one of the top institutions for Tourism.

I hope this helps, please get back in touch if you have any further questions :smile:

- Alex
Hi Amaranggana,

Do you mean a placement as part of your MSc?

The MSc Tourism Development programmes is a full-time 12 month taught course, so unfortunately there is no option to have an integrated placement due to the time constraints.

That said, the University of Surrey does have the best graduate employment record of any Chartered university in England, on average over the past decade, and our in-house careers service will provide you with as much help as possible in finding a career after you complete your post-graduate degree (e.g. CV help, mock interviews, job listings etc).

Our Tourism department is also currently ranked number 1 in the UK in both the Guardian and Complete University Guides 2013, so rest assured that you will be studying at one of the top institutions for Tourism.

I hope this helps, please get back in touch if you have any further questions :smile:

- Alex

I've heard about Surrey reputation as well, that's why I'm nothing but excited to start my time in Surrey :smile:

Anyways, is it possible to do a part-time work in the university? Something like research assistant, maybe?

Thanks for your generous help, Alex :biggrin:
Original post by Amaranggana
I've heard about Surrey reputation as well, that's why I'm nothing but excited to start my time in Surrey :smile:

Anyways, is it possible to do a part-time work in the university? Something like research assistant, maybe?

Thanks for your generous help, Alex :biggrin:

Hi again Amaranggana,

There are plenty of part-time job opportunities within the University and Guildford town centre, working in the shops, bars, restaurants and other amenities, and we have an on-site temp agency, called UniTemps, who you can sign up with to receive job ads for temporary jobs whilst you're studying.

With regards to assisting in research, this is probably something you are best asking the programme organiser, as it is a very personal/individual request. Dr Gang Li, the Tourism Development programme leader, should hopefully be able to confirm to you whether there are any internal opportunities. His contact details are:

Email: [email protected]
Phone: Work: 01483 68 6356
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/shtm/people/gang_li/

Hope this helps!

- Alex
Very interested in doing Law at Surrey partially because of the opportunities to go abroad in the third year. With studying abroad in general at the university, how does the uni support students who do study abroad?
Hi, I must admit that Surrey's master course in IR & Politics are so attractive and one cannot eve choose which one to apply for :smile: However, I am concerned about the financial support. I am considered as overseas student (coming from European country outside EU) and I need a scholarship/award.... anything that will tuition fees, accommodation and expenses for living. Is it possible to find somewhere? I put all my efforts to find, but I got tired after 3 months of searching. I hope you can give an advice. Thank you.
Original post by AnnaWintour
Hi, I must admit that Surrey's master course in IR & Politics are so attractive and one cannot eve choose which one to apply for :smile: However, I am concerned about the financial support. I am considered as overseas student (coming from European country outside EU) and I need a scholarship/award.... anything that will tuition fees, accommodation and expenses for living. Is it possible to find somewhere? I put all my efforts to find, but I got tired after 3 months of searching. I hope you can give an advice. Thank you.

Hi Anna

Currently, the Department has three scholarships of £2000 each, which will be awarded on the basis of academic merit. All applicants for the MA programmes will be automatically considered for these scholarships, without any additional application procedure.
The fee would be £11,550

Kind regards Debbie
Original post by Use Err Name
Very interested in doing Law at Surrey partially because of the opportunities to go abroad in the third year. With studying abroad in general at the university, how does the uni support students who do study abroad?

Hi Use Err Name,

Glad to hear you're interested in studying Law at Surrey, we are one of the few universities in the country that actually offer a professional training year as part of an LLB Law degree. Your training year can be taken as either a standard year-long work placement, or split with half a year on an exchange programme and the other half on a work placement.

The Business, Economics and Law faculty currently has thirty three exchange agreements with Universities across the world: International agreements include those in USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong, and South Korea; and European agreements exists with Universities in Germany, Austria, France, Spain, Sweden, Finland and the Netherlands.

If you wish to study at one of our partner institutions within the EU, you may be eligible for an Erasmus grant of around €235/month to help with living costs and you are still eligible for your normal student loan for the year you are spending time abroad.

If you wish to find out more, your best bet would be to pop along to one of our open days - the first ones are on the 29th and 30th June. On the day, the law academics will be on hand to answer any more specific questions regarding the Law programme and the exchanges, as will our International Relations Office who manage the study abroad schemes.

Alternatively, have a look on both the Law and International Relations studying abroad webpages:
http://www2.surrey.ac.uk/fbel/study/exchange/outgoing/index.htm
http://www2.surrey.ac.uk/exchanges/outgoing/index.htm

I hope this has helped. Good luck with any exams you may be currently taking!

- Alex

Latest