The Student Room Group

How can we be patriotic with such a crap national anthem?

Scroll to see replies

How can you enjoy other national anthems when you can't even tell what they are saying? They may just be as bad as ours..
Original post by cgraham15
Not being proud of your country is a form of oppression. If patriotism didn't exist then the majority of Scots would vote for an independent Scotland, but we don't because we're proud of the Great Britain.
Stop being so PC and get over yourself.

Although God save the Queen is a tradition, however it's kinda boring. I mean there's nothing wrong with the lyrics, but it is boring...

:rofl: Love that you just used an argument which basically says wanting peace between nations is a PC view and on this basis is a bad view to have. I bet you;re the kind of person who'd just love a third world war, based on the principles of patriotic peoples fighting for their rights to patriotism. Where you are born is completely ARBITRARY- why the **** should I be proud of stuff just because it's from the immediate area around me? Conversely, why shouldn't I be as proud of stuff from a wider area, especially if it's more awesome than the stuff which comes from here? Patriotism in and of itself is mental.
I am not religious but I do love our National Anthem. You are talking rubbish by saying its rubbish!! Having said that, this country is sort of renowned for being unpatriotic (for instance, we are the only country out of England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland not to have a Bank Holiday for our Patron Saint's day I do believe!!)
Reply 23
Original post by Theturnbull9
How can you enjoy other national anthems when you can't even tell what they are saying? They may just be as bad as ours..

Lyrics aside, God Save The Queen is the worst tune of a national anthem (unless played in G major but what anthem doesn't sound good in that)
Original post by Bobo1234
:rofl: Love that you just used an argument which basically says wanting peace between nations is a PC view and on this basis is a bad view to have. I bet you;re the kind of person who'd just love a third world war, based on the principles of patriotic peoples fighting for their rights to patriotism. Where you are born is completely ARBITRARY- why the **** should I be proud of stuff just because it's from the immediate area around me? Conversely, why shouldn't I be as proud of stuff from a wider area, especially if it's more awesome than the stuff which comes from here? Patriotism in and of itself is mental.

FFS shut up. I said that the concept of not being able to be proud of your nation is bad, not world peace, so make sure you actually read my comments :smile:
Furthermore, my Great Grandad fought in the D-Day Landings, my Grandfather was evacuated to the country, and my Great Uncle was in a concentration camp. So no, I would not like a 3rd world war. Ideot.
I'm proud of Britain because it has allowed me to grow up in a priviledged enviroment and, without this country, I may not have been this lucky.
So please, shut the **** up and learn to read posts :smile: I can tell "you're the kind of person" who bends over backwards to make their own countrymen feel bad just to make foreigners (who aren't even offended by us being proud of the UK) feel "less offended".

Peace out man

Edit: I'm all for you to go abroad living in a war zone. It'll make you more appreciative of your own country.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
I totally agree with this post, i would love us to have something more vibrant, maybe 'Jerusalem' would be good, something that lifts you with pride and brings a tear to your eye as you belt it out.
Reply 26
re all the patriotism rage:

A wise man* once said: "Be proud of what you do. Only then can you be proud of what you are"

* that was Jerry Springer but the point is still 100% valid
I dunno, plenty of anthems are slow and dirge like, I wouldn't single out god save the queen. My countrys anthem, the Irish anthem isn't very different. Not enough people even in Ireland understand it enough to know that it glories in violence a lot but it manages to be inspirational all the same. I think the theme of the anthem has a lot to do with perception of it.
Note that america's national anthem is basically an irish pub song. Now ours doesnt look so bad.
Reply 29
I vow to thee my country is a better choice, imo.

If we can't agree, get rid of the words - just have the original Holst piece as an instrumental.

And, for the naysayers, there's nothing wrong with a bit of patriotism - so long as it's done in the right way. Look at Last Night of the Proms, yes it's flagwaving and symbolic, but it's not "ooh look, we're better than <insert other country here>", it's "there's a rich history from here and we enjoy it together".
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Drewski
I vow to thee my country is a better choice, imo.

And, if we can't agree, get rid of the words - just have the original Holst piece as an instrumental.

Whilst this is the best suggestion yet, isn't this also the tune to Rugby's "World in Union" and would that be problematic at all :P
We could always use this version, just a suggestion.

[video="youtube;bjEphmIqtjM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjEphmIqtjM[/video]

This one could be even better! :biggrin:

[video="youtube;R8fLOJswWtk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8fLOJswWtk[/video]

Truthfully, I don't really think about all this :s-smilie:. But, it is the Diamond Jubilee and Olympics, let everyone have their temporary patriotism with the rather dull anthem.
Reply 32
I agree that the British national anthem is dismal and I don't like it, but there's not much we can do, and I'm sure people can still be patriotic despite the anthem.:tongue:

Original post by cryptic-clues
I think anthems are quite the voice of the imagination of the country. And I think many western anthems are founded in rather violent visions of the nation: the US for example says bombs bursting in the air, and "Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.". Also the French one says: "They're coming right into your arms, To cut the throats of your sons and women!"

Though I am not a Pakistani, I like theirs: it says,
"May the nation, the country, and the Republic
Shine in glory everlasting!
Blessed be the goal of our ambition
The flag of the crescent and star
Leads the way to progress and perfection
Interpreter of our past, glory of our present
Inspiration for our future!
Shadow of God, the Glorious and Mighty".

I think it sits very well with their vision of a faith based nation, founded as the Pak land. And I like that it knows the difference between country, nation and republic. At least not as daft and violent as some of the others...

It's true; Ireland's one is quite violent too. It's definitely a common theme!
The best anthems aren't the ones that emphasise violence. I think Wales' one is even better than the Pakistani one even. All about the natural landscape and poets and bards and stuff rather than about murdering all the other countries.:redface:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Slosh
Whilst this is the best suggestion yet, isn't this also the tune to Rugby's "World in Union" and would that be problematic at all :P

Same tune, but I don't see how that would be problematic. Land of Hope and Glory - and indeed, the whole Pomp and Circumstance March - is used by every college and university in the US as their graduation theme. I'd rather the world of Rugby Union think we were copying them than the US!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by Einheri
Historically it was. It's only the PC brigade going into over-drive that has recently associated patriotism with racism and hence made it semi-taboo.

I think Martyn* proved your point lmao
Reply 35
Original post by Drewski
Same tune, but I don't see how that would be problematic. Land of Hope and Glory - and indeed, the whole Pomp and Circumstance March - is used by every college and university in the US as their graduation theme. I'd rather the world of Rugby Union think we were copying them than the US!

Heh good point. Whilst we're at it let's copy the Soviet tune :P
Reply 36
I think England should adopt Jerusalem as its national anthem however I don't think it would be suited to the whole of the UK.

And personally i quite like all of America patriotic marching songs after listening them for hours on end on Enclave Radio.
It should be changed. How can you be certain that god even exists :rolleyes:
Reply 38
I like Jerusalem but it sounds too Zionist for me.
Patriotism is loving your country (which translates to your countries culture). Do you like British TV? Do you like Sunday roast? Do you like British musicians? Artists? Countries welfare system? Community? It's not to do with being proud of your country.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending