The Student Room Group

English Literature AQA- Grade boundaries?

Hey, I did an English Literature exam today, I studied An Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men. I feel as if I did okay on An Inspector Calls and part a of Of Mice and Men, but not part b. So I was just wondering if anyone knows what it roughly is for an A* out of 60? I'm predicted one and I REALLY want to get it as I'm hoping to study it at A level.
I've been told by someone it's roughly 45? Is that right? (it seems quite low haha!)

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Not sure, in the mocks (last years paper) I think I got 43 and 47 and both were A*'s although she did say she thought the boundaries were low :/
Reply 2
Hi lucy,
I also sat an exam today, i also did mice and man and inspector calls. I was also wandering about my grade boundaries. However, after doin some research with teachers and on the web, the grade boundaries for an A* is roughly between 44-48, an A is between 35-37, a B is roughly 26. I am hoping you don't want to get lower than B, so no point telling you what a C is.
I hope you get your intended results,

Shakz
Original post by Jen1996
Not sure, in the mocks (last years paper) I think I got 43 and 47 and both were A*'s although she did say she thought the boundaries were low :/

Ah okay, thank you very much :smile:
Original post by Shakz
Hi lucy,
I also sat an exam today, i also did mice and man and inspector calls. I was also wandering about my grade boundaries. However, after doin some research with teachers and on the web, the grade boundaries for an A* is roughly between 44-48, an A is between 35-37, a B is roughly 26. I am hoping you don't want to get lower than B, so no point telling you what a C is.
I hope you get your intended results,

Shakz

Okay thank you ever so much for your help! It means a lot, you too! :smile:
Reply 5
In Jan 11 they were 48/60 for an a*.
In Jun 11 they were 45/60 for an a*.
In Jan 12 they were 46/60 for an a*.

Hoping for the best and a super 44/60 this time round due to the stupid TKAM question!
Original post by metaltron

Hoping for the best and a super 44/60 this time round due to the stupid TKAM question!

That's really helpful, thank you! Yeah that'd be lovely :wink:

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous, how can you get 75% and be awarded an A* an A* should be given to people who get 95% + or the lowest 90%, it should be exclusive not just given out like free flippin candy! How can you get less than half of the paper (26) and get a B? The grade boundaries nowadays are so misleading!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Alevelsareboring
I'm sorry but this is ridiculous, how can you get 75% and be awarded an A* an A* should be given to people who get 95% + or the lowest 90%, it should be exclusive not just given out like free flippin candy! How can you get less than half of the paper (26) and get a B? The grade boundaries nowadays are so misleading!

Well, the English mark scheme is very tight. For example the difference between Bands 5 and 6 is "insightful" and I can imagine it being hard to tell the difference between the two bands. Plus, if our exam was harder, we should be treated with lower grade boundaries.
Well, the English mark scheme is very tight. For example the difference between Bands 5 and 6 is "insightful" and I can imagine it being hard to tell the difference between the two bands. Plus, if our exam was harder, we should be treated with lower grade boundaries.

Yeah that's true, that's where UMS comes in, they look at how everyone did across the course and then work out what grade boundaries are for the A's etc based on how good the best people did. I shouldn't even be complaining though, just got told i got 69% worth of raw marks in the exam for my A in English Literature lol. Funny that because on UMS marks i got 90%, probably means that my paper was harder so the best marks were around my grade as in 69%, so they gave that an A.

Makes sense really now that you think about it, looking at the English Lit mark scheme, English seems really subjective. Someone might interpret a student's analysis as Band 6 worthy while another might think it's worth a Band 5, that's true, and those couple of marks can lead to a decrease or increase in a whole grade.
(edited 11 years ago)
Can anyone tell me roughly what the marks are for an A B and C according to 2013 and 2012 for the literature the one with of mice and men and inspector calls?
Original post by Seclusion
Around 45 should be an A* but do remember 8 marks come from SPAG so it's out of 68.
what about for a b as that is what I'm hoping for
Reply 12
What did you guys write for TKAM if you did it? I am so worried, I don't think I did enough ;(
Original post by Bennett98
what about for a b as that is what I'm hoping for

Sorry, I meant around 50 for A*. And for B, it's probably around 35..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending