The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Poetry Exam 24/05/2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Well my school is doing Character and Voice
However I don't know what theme yours is...
But anyways I'm hoping that Medusa will come up because you can compare her to most
I have a feeling that either Ozymandias, les Grands or Casehistory will

But I know for sure that the Ruined Maid, Give and Brendon Gallacher will not as they are going to be the foundation.
Reply 21
Does anyone think they have a hunch on what poems might come up in the exam paper??

Personally I would LOVE Half-Caste, Class Game and August 6th 1945 to come up... :^_^:

What about you guys?
well... that was a very jolly paper...
Stealing, and Death....
i think we need to cheer up our examiners a bit don't ya think? :h:
(edited 11 years ago)
Was it just me or did anyone else find that comparing Conscientious objector to other poems on death was really not the best theme to choose. I think defiance would have been much better. Also, the poem that they suggested, Your Dad Did What?, only really mentions death in the last line.
Reply 24
Original post by sidthekoala
Was it just me or did anyone else find that comparing Conscientious objector to other poems on death was really not the best theme to choose. I think defiance would have been much better. Also, the poem that they suggested, Your Dad Did What?, only really mentions death in the last line.

hello

yh i felt the same way
i chose august 6, 1945 which was a ok choice
couldnt think properley in the exam so :frown:
Anybody else do relationships, I thought that the choice of poems was really good mainly because are teacher chose both for the mock so I had already done the essay. Kind of worried now as I keep thinking of what I could have put in.
How much time did everybody else spend on poetry before the exam, we first started doing it three weeks ago, which I think was cutting it a bit fine.
Original post by gmseahorse
Anybody else do relationships, I thought that the choice of poems was really good mainly because are teacher chose both for the mock so I had already done the essay. Kind of worried now as I keep thinking of what I could have put in.
How much time did everybody else spend on poetry before the exam, we first started doing it three weeks ago, which I think was cutting it a bit fine.

I started doing poetry at the start of his half term and I thought I was the only one on here to have so little time to study the poems and I find someone who has had much less-my class could have had another week if they hadn't prioritised the coursework resitters.

I did Clashes and Collisions and thought the unseen poem and the question about comparing was horrible because really no other poem really talks about death and even conscientious objector doesn't that much and although there would have been things to talk about in quite a few poems,not enough in any of the poems-I ended up going with Your Dad Did What? and didn't do to well I feel I did not do horrendously and I think that overall I will get the just the bit more than an A*(55/60) that I need,for an A* overall in English Literature.

Just a quick question-Does anyone know How many marks you lose on the unseen question,if your answer lacks punctuation quite often but spelling and clarity of expression are pretty good and punctuation is used occasionally but definitely not the full range or the required amount of comma or full stops because I always just blabber on and focus on getting the words down-luckily only the unseen poem is marked on punctuation.The grade boundaries are low for the exam aswell about 37/38 for an A* and 30/31 for an A.
Original post by Dalek1099
I started doing poetry at the start of his half term and I thought I was the only one on here to have so little time to study the poems and I find someone who has had much less-my class could have had another week if they hadn't prioritised the coursework resitters.

I did Clashes and Collisions and thought the unseen poem and the question about comparing was horrible because really no other poem really talks about death and even conscientious objector doesn't that much and although there would have been things to talk about in quite a few poems,not enough in any of the poems-I ended up going with Your Dad Did What? and didn't do to well I feel I did not do horrendously and I think that overall I will get the just the bit more than an A*(55/60) that I need,for an A* overall in English Literature.

Just a quick question-Does anyone know How many marks you lose on the unseen question,if your answer lacks punctuation quite often but spelling and clarity of expression are pretty good and punctuation is used occasionally but definitely not the full range or the required amount of comma or full stops because I always just blabber on and focus on getting the words down-luckily only the unseen poem is marked on punctuation.The grade boundaries are low for the exam aswell about 37/38 for an A* and 30/31 for an A.

Dalek1099. How do you know what the grade boundaries are. Edexcel don't even show their UMS conversion. Where did you get the information that 38/50 will be an A*. It's not that I dot believe you. I just want to see the information for other exams too. Thanks. Sid
Reply 28

Yeah, I agree! Personally, I hated the whole exam and I'm hoping the grade boundaries will be low...
Reply 29

Woahhh.. 30 for an A! that's low :biggrin:
.. you got any proof on this?
Dalek1099. How do you know what the grade boundaries are. Edexcel don't even show their UMS conversion. Where did you get the information that 38/50 will be an A*. It's not that I dot believe you. I just want to see the information for other exams too. Thanks. Sid

For the past 2 exams,it has been 37 and 38 for an A*,of course the grade boundaries could change but rarely are grade boundary changes drastic and the grade boundary,for an A*, should be around that mark.

Well we studied the poems at the beginning of year ten and only now just took our exam, I think we waited far too long to do it, we did a few poems just before the exam, one was One Flesh thankfully so that was fresh in my mind, but kissing flew right over my head!
Oh well its done now.

I'm miffed at myself, I don't think I wrote as much as I could have, only 11 pages "/ it took me ten minutes to wrap my head around the unseen poem and I HATE THE WORD "Present" how do they present their ideas, fml it confuses me.

Did anyone else waffle on about the structure endlessly & death or just me?
For the past 2 exams,it has been 37 and 38 for an A*,of course the grade boundaries could change but rarely are grade boundary changes drastic and the grade boundary,for an A*, should be around that mark.

Any idea what the grade boundaries for other grades are?
Any idea what the grade boundaries for other grades are?

A*-37/38
A-30/31
B-23/24
C-16/18
D-8/12
E-4/9

I have included the grade boundaries,of both previous sittings and although the grade boundaries could change,they won't be far off this.
Original post by xMissDebby
Well we studied the poems at the beginning of year ten and only now just took our exam, I think we waited far too long to do it, we did a few poems just before the exam, one was One Flesh thankfully so that was fresh in my mind, but kissing flew right over my head!
Oh well its done now.

I'm miffed at myself, I don't think I wrote as much as I could have, only 11 pages "/ it took me ten minutes to wrap my head around the unseen poem and I HATE THE WORD "Present" how do they present their ideas, fml it confuses me.

Did anyone else waffle on about the structure endlessly & death or just me?

I didn't really look at fully understanding the unseen poem,I just glanced over it and wrote a general introduction and then saw a phrase I liked and wrote about it and then summed up my points and I don't even think I read the whole poem.I talkewd about a lot of structural devices in the exam-including the enjambement of "Heis in haste etc " to show how much death there is in the world and in whole,I think I talked a lot more about structural devices than I expected because I wrote more than 1 point about structure,in my answers and my teacher said to aim for at least one and I actually think structure is easier to find and talk about than language but there is less structural points to make and it is harder to be as in depth with structure as language.
Mine was okay, but i didn't properly revise for it! I do relationships too. hated one flesh and kissing also.

Could someone tell me which season The Apple Raid was??
A*-37/38
A-30/31
B-23/24
C-16/18
D-8/12
E-4/9

I have included the grade boundaries,of both previous sittings and although the grade boundaries could change,they won't be far off this.

Where have you found this information? Could you post a link?
The unseen was beaut, so much stuff to write about :biggrin:
Reply 38
Original post by PrinceUpsb
The unseen was beaut, so much stuff to write about :biggrin:

did you do the apple stealing and memories poem?
Original post by dgdlalo16
did you do the apple stealing and memories poem?

Yes, it was the same for everyone sitting the Edexcel 5ET2H exam, the only difference was the anthology cluster you selected

Quick Reply