The Student Room Group

Goldman Sachs vs JPMorgan

Offers for internship at both companies. Technology division.

JPMorgan seems to pay a little more.

Where would you go and why? Who has the nicer office? Which is the better company? Is there even a difference?

Globally I believe JPMorgan is making more money than GS but I could be wrong.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reply 2
Rude.

UBS turned me down FYI.

To infer I'm a moronic student who thinks "THE GOLDMAN SACHS IS BEST PLEASE GIVE ME JOB" is pretty ridiculous when I'm asking a plain question.
Reply 3

you never post anything worth reading in this forum
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by redspecial
Rude.

UBS turned me down FYI.

To infer I'm a moronic student who thinks "THE GOLDMAN SACHS IS BEST PLEASE GIVE ME JOB" is pretty ridiculous when I'm asking a plain question.

I only said it made me think of that, you don't see the connection? Clearly you don't think that as you've asked opinions on the two. I didn't mean to insult you for getting multiple offers :tongue: Just a funny video no?

Original post by bmqib
you never post anything worth reading in this forum

I'm sorry who are you? I don't believe we've met. Do you read all my posts?
Reply 5
Original post by M1011
. I didn't mean to insult you for getting multiple offers :tongue: Just a funny video no?

I wasn't bragging or trying to. I wanted to know from people who are familiar with them (preferably have worked or interned there) so that I could make a rational decision and get some information. All I really know is that GS ripped off other banks during the crisis and JPMorgan is like the white knight. And I know the figures; that JPMorgan seems to have more income, is much larger due to Chase, but that profit doesn't mean much compared to what GS made ripping off others. Please feel free to add or enlighten me on any of these points because I don't know any better, genuinely.

And yes it's a funny video but kind of offtopic.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Wow congrats an offer from both of these firms. I don't think you can go wrong choosing either really. I think GS may have more 'prestige' but JPM may be a 'better' work environment.
Reply 7
It's tech, not IBD. Flip a coin.
Reply 8
Original post by miml
It's tech, not IBD. Flip a coin.

Can I expect it to suck?

Should I have gone with IBM or something?
Reply 9
Disclaimer: I started at Goldman so I am biased but...

Goldman Sachs is by far the best place to start a career. They usually pay the average or just under because they don't need to pay a premium to attract young talent. Having Goldman on your CV will open doors that were previously closed and will increase your market value immeasurably.

That said, JP Morgan is also a reputable institution but as I said, I am biased.

Ultimately, look closely at the team that you are going to join. Use the team to be the ultimate deciding factor for which institution you go for.

(The) Girl Banker
Reply 10
Can I expect it to suck?

My point was more along the lines of mid/back office work tends not to vary much in terms of 'interestingness' across banks. With IBD for example there's a clear difference between GS and JP in certain areas, but with tech it's likely the job won't vary much at all amongst the IBs.

Prestige doesn't really come into it, unless you want a business card that say's Goldman (or JP Morgan), but this is internship level, the most important thing is perhaps converting the job to a full time offer. In which case try and find conversion rates for summer to full time and choose based on that.
Reply 11
Thanks for the replies, made up my mind.

Whether or not technology is interesting can be argued.
You will be required to work like a dog at both. JPM is a notorious sweat shop, and GS is just the same.
Reply 13
Im just speculating and this might not actually be true, but having Goldman on your CV perhaps looks better if you decide to leave tech at some point and go work in a non-finance IT job.
Reply 14
Can I expect it to suck?

IBM take on a lot of graduates, but as a grad you'll be stuck on 27k for two years. So no, I think either of the above are better choices to be honest.
Reply 15
Original post by poohat
Im just speculating and this might not actually be true, but having Goldman on your CV perhaps looks better if you decide to leave tech at some point and go work in a non-finance IT job.

Really, having the "evil" bank on the CV is better than one that got away? Amongst non-finance people, most of whom hate GS?
Reply 16
Original post by KLL
Really, having the "evil" bank on the CV is better than one that got away? Amongst non-finance people, most of whom hate GS?

Even the Daily Mail has moved on.
Reply 17
Clearly JPM, massive investment in tech, plus I'll be working there :wink:. Also I liked that they have contributed to open source stuff too, though maybe all banks do and don't mention it :p:. (Surprised you are still deciding, thought JPM sent out their last offers a couple of months ago?)

Which did you go for?
(edited 11 years ago)
I'd go for the first one because the sachs of a Gold man will surely be less wrinkled and sweaty than those of a regular human.
Reply 19
Original post by miml
Even the Daily Mail has moved on.

other media hasn't
https://news.google.co.uk/news/story?hl=en&gl=uk&q=goldman+sachs&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ncl=dTiHRy5tYbRppqMWHbMHfmCZicLzM&ei=8He9T8nZI8mM8gPDrq0r&sa=X&oi=news_result&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CDEQqgIwAA

Don't get me wrong, thats not my opinion (hence the "s). I'm fairly indifferent towards them and have my own reasons for not wanting to work for them.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest