Higher Biology 2012 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

if i get 6 in the 2 essays (im bad at essays) i get 80 which is a B

happppy.
Original post by JackoGeddes

happppy.

6/20 or 12/20?

Surely if you are bad at essays then you would be bad at the entire knowledge side of the course? Essays are just writing any facts that you can remember...
Reply 362
Original post by JackoGeddes

happppy.

80/110 rounds up to 73% which is normally an A. Unless the grade boundaries move up a bit, that's an A
Original post by LucyO123
80/110 rounds up to 73% which is normally an A. Unless the grade boundaries move up a bit, that's an A

It's out of 130. :smile:
Reply 364
Aww what? :O
I thought section B was out of 60:frown:
Reply 365
Original post by LucyO123
Aww what? :O
I thought section B was out of 60:frown:

I wish section B was out of 60... I would have got 117% in section B :tongue:
Reply 366
Does anyone know of any exam when the percentage needed has increased for each grade?.. by any exam i mean any subject.
Reply 367
See for 7(a)(i), I wrote ovules instead of ovaries...reckon they'd accept this?
Reply 368
God what a disaster this exam was for me, I ended up just leaving it before the essays. Felt like death.

Just as I was about to leave the house for the exam (and I was already running late) my dog started squealing, so I had to make sure that he was ok before I left (he damaged a ligament in his leg). I ended up running for half an hour to get to school, went into the exam 10 minutes late with sweat dripping off me (it was so warm outside). When I sat down I was so tired and loaded with hay fever I couldn't even think about anything and I ended up missing out half of the questions and the essays.

I've had A's in both prelims and in every class test, then in the final exam I completely blew it and I don't even think I'll get a C.

Damn Biology. :frown:
Original post by qwerty1507
For 21, the last 4 months is 5 - 9. At 9 months it is 400 and at 5 it is 250 so the difference is 150. You then divide than by the 250 at the start of the 4 month period and times by 100 to get 60% which was B.

for that questions i ended up with 63%...but i worked backwards to find which answer was closest to the 250 difference...and it was 60 so yay :biggrin:
Original post by JaggySnake95
My stm must be above average because for the 48 hours after I'm read my notes its almost as if I have the word documents as pictures in my brain. :P

You too. (I'm assuming you're doing it, unless you're just trolling those poor people who have exams.)

yeah i did higher human biology...i always seem to end up on the normal biology thread though:/
for the last question i ticked the wrong box but gave the right explanation, do you think i'd still get the mark? :/
Original post by deedee123
for the last question i ticked the wrong box but gave the right explanation, do you think i'd still get the mark? :/

Probably not, unless it was a 2 mark question where you'll get 1 mark
Hi, see for 7b(I) about the features of meiosis, could you say crossing over too ?
Original post by JoeHent1995
Hi, see for 7b(I) about the features of meiosis, could you say crossing over too ?

Yeah, you could say crossing over or random assortment.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Despite its morbid nature, do you think it would be acceptable to answer the control question with identical experiment with a dead snail ?
Reply 376
SQA
OP
Original post by JoeHent1995
Despite its morbid nature, do you think it would be acceptable to answer the control question with identical experiment with a dead snail ?

I said identical experiment but without a snail.. :confused: :s-smilie:
Original post by SQA
I said identical experiment but without a snail.. :confused: :s-smilie:

I think that should be fine :smile:
Reply 378
From the official marking scheme for a past paper you can have:

Identical/Same

apparatus/set up/experiment

with no snail/dead snail/glass beads/plasticene
Reply 379
SQA
OP