The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Slumpy
I reckon it's better compared to an AS in FM. There's a bunch more DEs and potential for groups, and more fun stuff floating around in the later FM stuff(some boards at least).

I think if you combine AH maths and applied maths then it would compare very closely with A-level maths and further maths. The applied sections would match up and cover the deficiency of AH maths compared to A2 further in the more advanced pure modules. It would then be very similar to someone taking Pure + Applied in M+FM.
Reply 1581
Original post by ukdragon37
I think if you combine AH maths and applied maths then it would compare very closely with A-level maths and further maths. The applied sections would match up and cover the deficiency of AH maths compared to A2 further in the more advanced pure modules. It would then be very similar to someone taking Pure + Applied in M+FM.

I'm not sure; I don't know about stats, but I know AH mechanics didn't have that much content past physics, whereas the A level stuff is considered much harder than the A level physics. Also I value the pure stuff so much more:p:
Original post by Slumpy
I'm not sure; I don't know about stats, but I know AH mechanics didn't have that much content past physics, whereas the A level stuff is considered much harder than the A level physics. Also I value the pure stuff so much more:p:

The stats I believe covers all the way up to S4. Also Applied Maths Mechanics I think has stuff beyond AH Physics - circular motion for example is covered more in depth than Physics.
Reply 1583
Original post by ukdragon37
The stats I believe covers all the way up to S4. Also Applied Maths Mechanics I think has stuff beyond AH Physics - circular motion for example is covered more in depth than Physics.

That sounds believable for stats.
For mechanics I never really noticed anything beyond AH physics, but then I think I skipped whole chunks of the course without really noticing(the only extra thing I can think of off the top of my head is maybe one energy formula though..)
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
What kind of uni would specify an A in advanced maths?

Quite a lot of English unis, and some Scottish ones if you want to do the MMath/skip to 2nd year. 3 out of my 4 offers required an A in AH Maths, Warwick even asked for an A1 !
Reply 1585
Original post by whylime
No you are not. I found it really hard as well as did most of the people in my class. I got over 93% in my prelim but hoping to scrape an A in this! Need it for uni!

I think the majority of my class found it difficult aswell :/ I failed my prelims and I'm lucky I don't need this to get into uni cos there's no way I would have met the requirements :frown:
Reply 1586

I have a conditional from Oxford.
Anybody else sitting AH Applied Maths tomorrow?
I'm taking this subject next year, I've done really well throughout higher and hopefully I've managed to achieve a grade A in the final exam. I was just wondering how this subject compared to higher; is it a big step up?
Original post by Granter2306
I'm taking this subject next year, I've done really well throughout higher and hopefully I've managed to achieve a grade A in the final exam. I was just wondering how this subject compared to higher; is it a big step up?

Some find it a big step up, some don't. There aren't that many areas of higher and AH that overlap much so there is a LOT of new content to learn and I would say far more content to learn that at higher. It's definitely doable if you keep up with the work and remember all the things you need to remember.

I think most people who obtain A at higher manage to obtain a B or higher at AH as long as they put the work in.

I've really enjoyed AH maths and I hope you will too!
Reply 1590
Original post by laughylolly
Anybody else sitting AH Applied Maths tomorrow?

Me, I sitting mechanics. What about you?
Reply 1591
Bit late but I hope I get a B in this paper, I didn't find it too bad. After getting 17% in the prelim a B would be amazing.
Original post by bekah516
Me, I sitting mechanics. What about you?

I'm sitting Statistics. I hope the Maths part isn't too evil. So much easier to get a high grade if you ace/do well in the Maths part.

Strathclyde wanted AAA including AA at AH Maths/Physics for me to do Mechanical Engineering.
Reply 1594
Original post by laughylolly
I'm sitting Statistics. I hope the Maths part isn't too evil. So much easier to get a high grade if you ace/do well in the Maths part.

I find the maths part the easiest. Can usually get close to full marks.
Original post by bekah516
I find the maths part the easiest. Can usually get close to full marks.

Same. From doing past papers it seems pretty straight forward each year. It's basically just C/B level stuff from AH Maths.
ukdragon37, will you be posting your answers for the applied maths mechanics exam tomorrow?
Reply 1597
Original post by whylime
I have a conditional from Oxford.

My condolences:p:
Original post by Quintro
Strathclyde wanted AAA including AA at AH Maths/Physics for me to do Mechanical Engineering.

What!!!! About 10 people in my year and myself all got unconditionals!!! Thats a bit unfair!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Anyone fancy speculating what the grade boundaries will be? :tongue: I know it's been less than 70 for an A for the last 2 years, but in 2009 it was 72 :/. I know it's difficult to judge as you've done this exam under more pressure, but how did this year's compare with 2009 to anyone who has done it as part of their revision?