The Student Room Group

WJEC BY1 and BY2 Summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Ysondrae
Were the xylem vessels the large ones right in the centre of the endodermis?

Yep
Reply 201
Original post by Luppy021
Yep

Ok thank you :smile:

Yes I believe it's in the middle of the vascular tissue, surrounded by phloem and then the endodermis layer :smile:

Yes they were. :smile:
Reply 204
For the symptom question about the valves I put Heart Murmur (only because I have one and remembered that is it to do with valves lol) but not sure if it will be specific enough.

Stupid question but for the Xylem and Phloem questions what did people put as the function? I think I was far to vague (there was so much writing space and I wrote like 5 words :/ )

My drawing of the endodermis cell with casparian strip was shocking and I messed up the explanation by writing the wrong route!! Stupid marks lost - really frustrating.

Agree with everyone about them using the smaller topics rather than the main topics you would assume that would come up - WJEC at it's best!

I might have blagged a few marks including the one that asks about the cell in the digestion question (goblet cell apparently) I didn't have any idea of it's name but remembered something produced mucus lol

Like others with the Autotrophic ect questions I was vague although I will say that in the past papers relating to Parasite questions, they specifically wanted the name for a tapeworm (Taenia Solium) luckily I remembered the name and wrote that but wrote tapeworm after too. The others I wrote plant and fungi (WJEC might be nice and allow them - or not)

Overall a pretty crappy exam. Not really sure how I did because WJEC are insanely unpredictable. Now for my A2 exams in a few weeks... eeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Good luck to everyone with exams still to go. :smile:
Reply 205
Original post by ExAmZ
Thanks! I really hope they allow it!
do u think they'd allow endothelium instead of epithelium??

No, they're two different things :/
Reply 206
Original post by Bord3r
Anyone here do HB2?

Yes, I did how did you find it? :smile:
Reply 207
i could've kissed the last qs on transpiration!
Reply 208
Original post by popnit
i could've kissed the last qs on transpiration!

I just talked about how wind movement, temperature, light intensity and humidity effect concentration gradient. And for second part just did the whole bubble potometer experiment from Jan 2012 past paper.

What about you??
Reply 209
Did anyone do the reproduction 10 mark? I just talked about sexual and asexual. didnt know whether to talk about external or internal fertilisation so I didn't. What did everyone put?
Reply 210
What are predictions for grade boundaries?
From looking at previous WJEC boundaries for JUNE 2011 and JAN 2012, it was around 52 raw marks for 80 UMS an A.
Reply 211
Original post by ashamoh
Did anyone do the reproduction 10 mark? I just talked about sexual and asexual. didnt know whether to talk about external or internal fertilisation so I didn't. What did everyone put?

I pretty much did the same thing as you. For the beginning of my essay, I opened it by stating what the terms meant. And then after that, I think I just listed the pros and cons to each method, and a couple of examples :smile:
However I added in a small paragraph about internal and external fertilisation, just to be on the safe side.
Reply 212
Original post by XO*
I just talked about how wind movement, temperature, light intensity and humidity effect concentration gradient. And for second part just did the whole bubble potometer experiment from Jan 2012 past paper.

What about you??

Yep you've got it right, I did that too :smile:
Original post by ashamoh

I didn't actually read the question properly until like the last 10 minutes. I wrote all about internal and external fertilisation at first then in the last 10 mintues wrote about sexual and asexual reproduction, hopefully that was enough :tongue:
Original post by xcoral23
For the symptom question about the valves I put Heart Murmur (only because I have one and remembered that is it to do with valves lol) but not sure if it will be specific enough.

Stupid question but for the Xylem and Phloem questions what did people put as the function? I think I was far to vague (there was so much writing space and I wrote like 5 words :/ )

My drawing of the endodermis cell with casparian strip was shocking and I messed up the explanation by writing the wrong route!! Stupid marks lost - really frustrating.

Agree with everyone about them using the smaller topics rather than the main topics you would assume that would come up - WJEC at it's best!

I might have blagged a few marks including the one that asks about the cell in the digestion question (goblet cell apparently) I didn't have any idea of it's name but remembered something produced mucus lol

Like others with the Autotrophic ect questions I was vague although I will say that in the past papers relating to Parasite questions, they specifically wanted the name for a tapeworm (Taenia Solium) luckily I remembered the name and wrote that but wrote tapeworm after too. The others I wrote plant and fungi (WJEC might be nice and allow them - or not)

Overall a pretty crappy exam. Not really sure how I did because WJEC are insanely unpredictable. Now for my A2 exams in a few weeks... eeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Good luck to everyone with exams still to go. :smile:

I totally totally agree with you!!!! WJEC is just so vague, one year they may allow one thing and the next they might not! My one friend believes that if you sit a paper again with like no more extra revision you'd get more as it all relies on the mark scheme and whether they're in a picky mood or not.

I have my A2's soon too, BY5 is looking slighty nicer although theres only like 2 past papers?! :s-smilie:

Good luck!!
:console
Reply 216
Original post by hollybanolly
I totally totally agree with you!!!! WJEC is just so vague, one year they may allow one thing and the next they might not! My one friend believes that if you sit a paper again with like no more extra revision you'd get more as it all relies on the mark scheme and whether they're in a picky mood or not.

I have my A2's soon too, BY5 is looking slighty nicer although theres only like 2 past papers?! :s-smilie:

Good luck!!

BY5 looking slightly nicer? You are joking right? The content is so long. Not as complicated as BY4 tho. Respiration and Photosynthesis are mental.
Reply 217
I totally agree..BY5 is far from easy! There's so much to remember and they've gone crazy with bloody genetics!!
Reply 218
Original post by hollybanolly
I didn't actually read the question properly until like the last 10 minutes. I wrote all about internal and external fertilisation at first then in the last 10 mintues wrote about sexual and asexual reproduction, hopefully that was enough :tongue:

HAha it was a confusing question :s-smilie: Should've just written about fertilisation darn.
I just remember the day before the exam how the flowering plant was successful so just wrote that. But not too sure what they want because the 2 papers it came up had two totally different answers XD
Reply 219
What did you guys put for the feature and function of the epithelial cells? (for the digestion q) - I think I wrote about the complete wrong thing. :frown:

Also, how many marks do you reckon for an A? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending