The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Same it's going to be an amazing series, annoyed that it is in sooo long though haha but it will be worth it probably
Reply 1501
Original post by dgeorge
Wasn't too hot on him anyways, no great loss personally

Tino Best called up as the replacement, who i'll always remember because of this (2nd half), but I wanted to ask what happened to Jerome Taylor? I remember him running through our lineup at one point.

Sounds like we'll be unchanged on Friday. I really want Finn to be playing test cricket though, he'll be an excellent player in time.
Original post by Louis.
Tino Best called up as the replacement, who i'll always remember because of this (2nd half), but I wanted to ask what happened to Jerome Taylor? I remember him running through our lineup at one point.

Sounds like we'll be unchanged on Friday. I really want Finn to be playing test cricket though, he'll be an excellent player in time.

Quite funny that lol.

What happened to Jerome Taylor? TO be honest I have no idea, haven't heard anything about him at all for over a year. I think he had to remodel is action after being called for throwing, not sure if he has been the same since
Original post by dgeorge
Quite funny that lol.

What happened to Jerome Taylor? TO be honest I have no idea, haven't heard anything about him at all for over a year. I think he had to remodel is action after being called for throwing, not sure if he has been the same since

I thought he was injured?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Orange Monte Carlo
Original post by shyamshah
I thought he was injured?

After a bit of research, it appears that he has not played a full domestic season, so is not eligible for the West Indies team
Original post by dgeorge
After a bit of research, it appears that he has not played a full domestic season, so is not eligible for the West Indies team
You have very good fast bowlers anyway, but he will be back soon hopefully.
Where are the idiots that told me Dhoni was not worthy of a place in a T20 World XI? Big game and as usual he steps up. It was Lasith Malinga who he carted into the stands today, not just your average Indian trundlers (though Kulkarni got smashed as well).
Original post by Strangeclouds
Where are the idiots that told me Dhoni was not worthy of a place in a T20 World XI? Big game and as usual he steps up. It was Lasith Malinga who he carted into the stands today, not just your average Indian trundlers (though Kulkarni got smashed as well).

again is this international cricket? No it's IPL.

I never doubted his domestic prowess in the format. Or the fact he's excellent in the ODI format.

He's a good/decent T20 (as in the international sense) player. I find it difficult to put him in a world XI as there is a better option in Sangaakara who in my opinion has performed to a greater standard internationally. Perhaps Dhoni is a better captain you could argue (though Sangakaara is a very good captain too), but overall I don't rate him over Sangakaara. Dhoni doesn't score particularly quick in the international format so far despite coming lower down, nor does he generally score big. The man has not registered even a single 50 in T20s.

Dhoni has not got anywhere near the standard he's shown in ODIs as in T20s. I'd have expected him to have done better honestly.

Having one great game does not automatically make one a great player.

Dhoni is a GOOD T20 cricketer, but there are others who would be more deserving of the spot.
Looks like the WINDIES are in good postion this year to win the t20 cup- Pollard,Bravo,Gayle,Narine,Kevon Cooper and Dwayne Smith!(these are just the players in the IPL)
Original post by dgeorge

see also: Graham Napier.
Original post by LemonLizards
again is this international cricket? No it's IPL.

I never doubted his domestic prowess in the format. Or the fact he's excellent in the ODI format.

He's a good/decent T20 (as in the international sense) player. I find it difficult to put him in a world XI as there is a better option in Sangaakara who in my opinion has performed to a greater standard internationally. Perhaps Dhoni is a better captain you could argue (though Sangakaara is a very good captain too), but overall I don't rate him over Sangakaara. Dhoni doesn't score particularly quick in the international format so far despite coming lower down, nor does he generally score big. The man has not registered even a single 50 in T20s.

Dhoni has not got anywhere near the standard he's shown in ODIs as in T20s. I'd have expected him to have done better honestly.

Don't go away from the point, why bother mentioning ODIs, I didn't. Dhoni plays a role where he comes down in the lower order in an attempt to revive India's innings generally, because the Indian national T20 team have completely underwhelmed since their world cup win in 07. They've been abysmal and Dhoni has merely come in late to try and add some substance to the innings, make sure they play 20 overs, etc. This is evidenced by his number of not-outs. Kumar is also a good player, but he doesn't have the pedigree that Dhoni has, and he bats in the top order, where he has time to set himself. Would Kumar make it into the top order of a World XI? I don't think so. Neither would Dhoni, but Dhoni isn't a top order player, is he. Does Kumar have the nerves of steel and chasing ability that Dhoni has? Don't think so.

I haven't even got onto the fact that T20Is, aside from world cups, are generally useless indicators of a player's T20 potential, because teams play them as the last game on their tours and just generally don't give a **** about them, use them to try out new combinations and players, or if they're the first matches of the tour, then to test out the conditions. The Pakistan vs England T20Is that we recently saw were one of the few occasions where anyone, anywhere has cared about a bilateral T20 series.

Original post by dgeorge

Dhoni is a GOOD T20 cricketer, but there are others who would be more deserving of the spot.

Original post by ste_mc_efc
see also: Graham Napier.

Dhoni's had a bit more than one great game though, he's captained and starred in T20 and ODI World Cup wins, has a good claim to be the best ODI batsman of all time (though he's not quite there), and obviously has captained/starred in back to back IPL wins.

Dhoni's had a bit more than one great game though, he's captained and starred in T20 and ODI World Cup wins, has a good claim to be the best ODI batsman of all time (though he's not quite there), and obviously has captained/starred in back to back IPL wins.

Do genuinely think I was likening Dhoni to Napier?
Don't go away from the point, why bother mentioning ODIs, I didn't. Dhoni plays a role where he comes down in the lower order in an attempt to revive India's innings generally, because the Indian national T20 team have completely underwhelmed since their world cup win in 07. They've been abysmal and Dhoni has merely come in late to try and add some substance to the innings, make sure they play 20 overs, etc. This is evidenced by his number of not-outs. Kumar is also a good player, but he doesn't have the pedigree that Dhoni has, and he bats in the top order, where he has time to set himself. Would Kumar make it into the top order of a World XI? I don't think so. Neither would Dhoni, but Dhoni isn't a top order player, is he. Does Kumar have the nerves of steel and chasing ability that Dhoni has? Don't think so.

I haven't even got onto the fact that T20Is, aside from world cups, are generally useless indicators of a player's T20 potential, because teams play them as the last game on their tours and just generally don't give a **** about them, use them to try out new combinations and players, or if they're the first matches of the tour, then to test out the conditions. The Pakistan vs England T20Is that we recently saw were one of the few occasions where anyone, anywhere has cared about a bilateral T20 series.

As I said, he's a GOOD T20 cricketer. I don't quite think he's up there in the GREATEST ODI batsmen, but he's a better ODI player than T20. I'm not saying he's not a good T20 cricketer, just saying that he isn't one of the GREATS at this current time
Original post by razmazterz
Looks like the WINDIES are in good postion this year to win the t20 cup- Pollard,Bravo,Gayle,Narine,Kevon Cooper and Dwayne Smith!(these are just the players in the IPL)

Performance in the IPL =/= performance on the international stage in the same way performance in the County Championship =/= performance in the test arena.

Moreover, the Windies were incredibly underwhelming 2 years ago with most of that team (sans narine and cooper)
Original post by Captain Crash
Performance in the IPL =/= performance on the international stage in the same way performance in the County Championship =/= performance in the test arena.

Moreover, the Windies were incredibly underwhelming 2 years ago with most of that team (sans narine and cooper)

Yep.

I see perhaps Windies pulling one or two shock wins given their talent, but I don't think they'll win the T20 cup.

England will be favourites I think, though Sri Lankan conditions won't suit them. But the shorter the format, the flatter the pitches and the less the conditions make a difference. Sri Lanka have a shot and maybe India with a chance too given most of their batsmen are in decent limited overs form. Think teams such as Australia and Pakistan at the moment are a little shaky, they're going through a process of changing and rebuilding their team so not sure how strong they'll turn up in the next T20 cup.
Yeah, Kohli, Tiwary, Yousuf, Dhoni, Vijay all in excellent form.
Even though India have not done too well in T20's recently i still would say that they are a good team in the subcontinent and will be a team to beat.
Excited bout the test match tomorrow hope WI start well and play consistently

Original post by Captain Crash

But they give you an indication how well the player is performing. IPL and T20 international cricket are on the same level of competivness.

Also most of the players I mentioned are peaking now(ex.Gayle, Dwayne Smith)
Yeah, Kohli, Tiwary, Yousuf, Dhoni, Vijay all in excellent form.

Murli Vijay is in terrible form he's only scored three 35+ scores in the last ten innings for CSK and he opens the batting for them:O
I'd use Dhawan as my opener! He is the thrid highest run getter!

Since IPL has started Kohli has lost his form!

Yusuf in the last ten innings : 6,7,12,11,7,40,11,21,15,40- not very impressive scores!

Latest